Shipping speakers USPS or UPS?

ScramMan2

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I mailed out some small bookshelf speakers today USPS Ground domestic 15 lbs for $30.32. I thought wow is that expensive. I should have added a CD and sent it media mail, I know it would be a lot less. But the box had factory markings as to what it was and I would have gotten caught. Would UPS be any cheaper? I could not quote it out because they want a PayPal address or credit card for payment and all I wanted was a price..

You don't need to provide any payment information in order to get a shipping quote from UPS.

[1] Enter When & Where info, and click UPDATE
[2] Enter Detail to Show Cost, for Payment, select I Will Pay Shipping at Retail Location, and click UPDATE

Retail Rates will now be displayed for the various shipment methods.

https://wwwapps.ups.com/calTimeCost?loc=en_US

Thank you. It was $21.01. Still high but in this instance cheaper than the USPS. The nearest UPS Store is more than the 7 minutes it takes me to get to the local PO though. But not 9 bucks worth of gas.

I had another non-media item to ship today. I sold my DVD/SACD player to someone in TX. I used the original packing materials, the weight was 7 pounds. USPS wanted $18 something. UPS was $14.60 and FedEx Home was $14.40. I went with UPS because I hate FedEx Home. Glad I'm only selling vinyl/CDs. The other stuff is way too expensive. Media Mail is still a bargain.

You don't need to provide any payment information in order to get a shipping quote from UPS.

UPS online quotes are generally pretty accurate, except it will not tell you if there is a rural destination surcharge. So confirm the quote with your UPS store beforehand. USPS online quotes have no hidden extra charges that I know of.
UPS charges less to ship to a commercial address versus residential. USPS charges the same rate for business or residential.

It does not show up as an option in my shipping software.

I just ship through eBay. Not sure if it's an option with what you're using. It's ridiculously cheap a lot of the time. Cheaper than USPS Priority on pretty much anything.

Fed x home is the worst.
I actually had my first transaction with them. Turned out pretty good. Shipped a pair of heavy speakers 70# each in two separate boxes. Turned out OK. Took THREE hours to double box & pack both. I'll never do that again. PIA.

I use to work for ups. I saw a lot go on in my 30 years. FedX home delivery guys weren't as good as the others. Less pay =bad attitude.

I sent out a pair of small bookshelf speakers a couple weeks ago, UPS wanted $26, USPS was $27 for Priority Mail. I went with USPS because it was easier and faster. It's worth checking them all.

Back
Top Bottom