Shorted caps in pre amp board??

Bassblaster

i decided to pop the bottom service panel off of one of my amplifiers and found a few hacks...
IMAG0394[1].jpg IMAG0395[1].jpg IMAG0396[1].jpg IMAG0397[1].jpg IMAG0398[1].jpg
C11 and C12 are right next to the stereo/mono and loudness switch. so i would assume they have something to do with those 2 functions. Any one have any ideas on why someone would short those 2 caps? didnt get a pic but the wires for the power button light have also been re soldered

Never assume! :no:

It's possible that it could be a production change. I wouldn't worry about it if the amplifier is working properly.

I don't see anything wrong.......physically that is! You can't tell if a capacitor is bad by looking at it. You need a meter to measure it. The stuff you see in between the pins is glue.

Before you edited that all out of your post. im sure thats not glue.

Last edited:
+1 on 'production change' and 'intentionally shorted'.

Without seeing a schematic or knowing the make/model, we're just guessing.

I don't know too many people who would even be capable of pulling off something like that without knowing a great deal about electronics, theory and application.

Schematic definitely needed to know for sure. I'm searching around myself out of curiosity but my bet is that it is no hack

I don't know too many people who would even be capable of pulling off something like that without knowing a great deal about electronics, theory and application.

Schematic definitely needed to know for sure. I'm searching around myself out of curiosity but my bet is that it is no hack
Seems that way, because one of the STK-0080's have been replaced. but does anyone know a rough idea what shorting a cap out in the tone control circuit would generally do?

More or less bass I would think. Could also bypass tone or low filter.

Seems the 800 is the same as the 880 minus the power supply taps for a low voltage tuner and tape deck.

yes, but the board layout is different. the 880 has a separate board for the power supply, left and right amplifier. where the 800 is all 1 board. for those 3.

The amp and tone sections are the same. Plus it wouldn't matter if there were one or ten boards. Its all in how the engineer has it layed out.

i forgot about this thread...well i got the manual for my CA-800. appears the shorted C11 and C12 are on the final output of the preamp to the main amp
IMAG0610[1].jpg
Im thinking this would be to add more deep bass response?

i forgot about this thread...well i got the manual for my CA-800. appears the shorted C11 and C12 are on the final output of the preamp to the main amp

Im thinking this would be to add more deep bass response?

No, it's a blocking cap. It's purpose is to block DC, but allow the audio signal to pass. It seems redundant, however, as there is another blocking cap at C01.

Regards,
Jerry

Back
Top Bottom