Show me your CABLES!! Please...

Very nice! What cable did you use? Or did you make up the cable yourself?

I haven't yet made a move on my own DIY cables yet, but am leaning heavily towards Cardas litz-wire coax and KLEI copper RCA plugs. I'm still open to looking at other all-copper cabling solutions, but well beyond that bulk Belden stuff.
Hi Wildcat you inspired me so I made my own cable using 20 awg stranded and the flat copper 28 awg-ish solid wire. 4 conductors per cable and no shielding but they have no hum issue's at all and sound a touch better than the other ones I posted earlier.
DSCI0108.JPG

Attachments

• DSCI0103.JPG
    DSCI0103.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCI0104.JPG
    DSCI0104.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 25
Iv just put together a 3.5mm jack to rca phono using van damme xke cable to go from my sony cd player to my Nobsound headphone amplifier.

Attachments

• 20171208_114211.jpg
    20171208_114211.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20171208_114420.jpg
    20171208_114420.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20171208_114348.jpg
    20171208_114348.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 25
How about a different perspective?
These are cables from my grab and go recording bag. I call it my CACK bag, or, my Cables and Crap Kit.
If I ever ask you to carry this bag,... [laughs maniacally smilie here]

l-to-r: Canare L4E6S 50' xlr pair -- 25' Canare L4E6S pair -- 17' L4E6S pair -- 7' Belden 1804a SPC xlr pair with custom right angle Stubby (mic) ends - 18" 1804a breakout xlr pair w/ custom Stubby ends.
DSCN4268.jpg
DSCN4267.jpg

Then i have this wonderful compact two channel stereo mic preamp, DPA MMA6000. Compact, 9v battery powered 35dB or so of clean gain, stereo output.
But, it has its own list of needs to support it.
Microdots - oh holy crap! Mother Of All Things Evil,... microdots:
DSCN4269.jpg DSCN4270.jpg
These are very fine wire coaxial cables. DPA utilized microdots on a fabulous series of miniature microphones, the 406x, and a newer series that I'm less familiar with.
In this image, I'm also showing the MMA6000 two channel stereo preamp, and, Edirol R09 high-res portable recorder. The small gold connectors on the mics are microdots, as well as on the preamp face:
IMG_5270JPG.jpg IMG_5276JPG.jpg

The output side of the preamp is a 3.5mm/1/8" stereo jack. I've built numerous adaptors for this output format.
DSCN4276.jpg
This is the output side. It is a simple 3.5mm stereo jack,... that is awkwardly buried in a housing that disallows normal right angle out. I also use typical straight connectors in different configurations, as shown, but with odd terminal configurations.
The cable adaptor set above allows me to utilize one single mono XLR cable run as a two channel unbalanced stereo cable run. It is a 3.5mm stereo connect to three-pin xor connector. The, the opposie end termintaes into a pair of RCA ends, that can be further adapted as needs to tip-sleeve, un-bal xlr, or even back to 3.5mm stereo.
Shown is the XLR->RCA cable pair, with RCA->TS 1/4" pin adaptors.

Microdots front side (third party extension cables), and the 3.5mm/XLR out the back:
DSCN4274.jpg
I velcro the putput cable to the body of the preamp on both top and bottom to keep it locked into place:
DSCN4275.jpg

Last edited:
I built this output cable, more like, poured this output cable from JB-Weld, to create a right angle output cable that was stable, and didn't pop out of the output jack. To do so, I had to mask the entire inside of the housing with masking tape, to create a dam to contain the JB-Weld. I then inserted the soldered bare connector, and poured:
DSCN4287.jpg DSCN4272.jpg

It is a custom fit, and perfectly stable, right angle output cable, ^^.

Oh, and a few more RCA cables and other unbalanced adaptors that I break out when needed.
A concert hall might as well be a desert when it comes to finding needed cabling oddities. I've learned to build and carry all of them.
DSCN4283.jpg DSCN4284.jpg DSCN4285.jpg DSCN4286.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Delta77,

Now that you've lived with the new set of cables for awhile and they've had time to settle-in are you still pleased with them?

Cheers,

Scott

Hey Delta77,

Now that you've lived with the new set of cables for awhile and they've had time to settle-in are you still pleased with them?

Cheers,

Scott
Yes, I have no complaints..Very Happy ..!! With my Cullencable Loom..

But I moved the sub to the other side of the room, and it took one of the wall outlets. (used for main amp)
Now my cables are some what messy, I’m going to get the Cullencable strip outlets next (2) one for each side of the stereo cabinet..

Also , I ordered the DECWARE (CSP3) HP amp/preamp.. To go with the ZMF HP’s on order..
This is leading me to look at DECWARE ‘s Cables , they look very good for the money as well..
I may go for the
Decware Silver Reference Interconnects

A Pure UN-insulated SILVER Ribbon with an organic
bees wax core protected inside a polyefelin air jacket and terminated with top quality silver connectors
On my next RCA purchase ( for the DECWARE HP amp ) ..

Last edited:
Yes, I have no complaints..Very Happy ..!! With my Cullencable Loom..

But I moved the sub to the other side of the room, and it took one of the wall outlets. (used for main amp)
Now my cables are some what messy, I’m going to get the Cullencable strip outlets next (2) one for each side of the stereo cabinet..

Also , I ordered the DECWARE (CSP3) HP amp/preamp.. To go with the ZMF HP’s on order..
This is leading me to look at DECWARE ‘s Cables , they look very good for the money as well..
I may go for the
Decware Silver Reference Interconnects

A Pure UN-insulated SILVER Ribbon with an organic
bees wax core protected inside a polyefelin air jacket and terminated with top quality silver connectors
On my next RCA purchase ( for the DECWARE HP amp ) ..

Wow, exciting things ahead for you, very cool! Yes, the Decware cables look very good. Thanks for the update. With the success I've had with the Cullen Avius power cord and Nitin Coax cable, I'm considering adding the Crossover ll series power cord and the Crossover Series speaker cable.

I'm currently using WireWorld Oasis 7 speaker cable. I'm very curious to hear what a full set of Cullen Cable will do in my system.

Cheers,

Scott

Samac, sounds like fun / stress : Picking out new cables ...? Ha.
I thought I was done, with cable upgrades.. But I’ve (again) started to loose sleep over the next move..
Mostly just to get the cables organized again ( no over lapping, or running together,) ..

I want to Get (2 ) cullencable Power Strips with Crossover ll 10 awg Cable, Carbon Fiber Plug , and a Emi Filter attached.. Then cut (2) of my 7’ Crossover 12 awg Cables into (4) 3.5’ Cables and attach carbon fiber plugs..

I think it will be in the neighborhood of $550-$700.. Here we go again...?
Oh yeah, still need (1) C-7 cable for the Apple TV , $80..
When the DECWARE,, Csp3 comes, I may or may not leave The Candela preamp in the system..
If it stays I will need (2) more sets of RCA’s , Those will be DECWARE RCA’s for the DECWARE preamp/HP amp,
$300..
So all in about $1,000 for me to sleep at night with Cables to die for resting right down stairs..

Am I the only one who feels this way over The CABLE LAYOUT, , Can’t Be.. .???

You got it, Dleta77, fun/stress. I am looking forward to trying the Crossover ll power cord and Crossover speaker cable but a little apprehensive as well. I've never used any cable with silver plated copper, rhodium plate or Teflon. Lots of new things but with the thirty day trial it takes most of the stress away.

You are not alone when it comes to cables. I've always used nice interconnects and speaker cable but I didn't get my first upgraded power cord until about three years ago. Since I started paying more attention to my power cords the sound of my stereo has improved quite a bit.

With all the cables and the Decware coming you have some fun ahead.

Cheers,

Scott

I don’t think I can hear any significant difference in the carbon fiber connectors,, I just like the way they look and feel..
But I’m fairly positive that, the metal and dialect and braid technique make the biggest difference..
In fact the Carbon fiber connector fit great in Both the OPPO and the Candela but sagged slightly ( from the weight) when plunged into the Stratos Amp.. The silver plated (black plastic) connector worked better for the Amp with no noticeable differences in sound..

It sounds like your on the right path, with Patrick’s Crossover series anything and possibly everything, Cables wise that is..

Last edited:
How do you guys mark your cables?

I had used masking tape but it seems to fade, lose its stickiness and fall off, which makes swapping components a bit of a hassle.

index.php
Wow!

I see what you mean.

I don’t think I can hear any significant difference in the carbon fiber connectors,, I just like the way they look and feel..
But I’m fairly positive that, the metal and dialect and braid technique make the biggest difference..
In fact the Carbon fiber connector fit great in Both the OPPO and the Candela but sagged slightly ( from the weight) when plunged into the Stratos Amp.. The silver plated (black plastic) connector worked better for the Amp with no noticeable differences in sound..

It sounds like your on the right path, with Patrick’s Crossover series anything and possibly everything, Cables wise that is..

Hey, Delta77,

I installed the Cullen Cable Crossover ll power cable, Crossover speaker cables and a second Nitin Coax. I, like you, have a full set of Cullen Cables now. Music has been playing for about three hours and all is well. Disconnected, moved and reconnected three power cables. That and the fact that two power cables, the Nitin coax and the speaker cables are new means that quite a few hours of settling in are ahead; but I am extremely pleased so far.

Patrick is a pleasure to deal with. He is meticulous in his work and it shows as his cables are very well made and they sound great as well(as you know).

Anyway, just wanted to share the news. Hope you're still enjoying the Cullen cables and your fine system.

Cheers,

Scott

Not much to see, but here you go.
KIMG1108.jpg

KIMG1113.jpg

KIMG1114.jpg

KIMG1115.jpg

CDP to pre, and pre to amps are Furez cable with Furez silver RCAs.(from AV Outlet.com) Tuner to pre AQ Evergreen. Speaker cables are 10ga OFC with Furutech FP-202G bananas at each end. I did the tech flex(my first attempt).
Cheers

Roadrash,

Looks great and excellent cable management.

Cheers,

Scott
Thank you. Who knew my OCD would actually be useful someday? Seriously though, I just tried to put to use some of the things I've learned on AK in the last year. This place is great!

I did the tech flex(my first attempt).
How is TechFlex to work with? I want to do it on my next interconnects, with heat-shrink tubing "sealing" the ends. The few recent cables I have with some similar sleeving have it nice and snug on the cable, and I would like to emulate that.

A few updated pics after some tidying up
Are those VTI racks? I have some here. I mostly like them, except the shelves scratch really easily.

How is TechFlex to work with? I want to do it on my next interconnects, with heat-shrink tubing "sealing" the ends. The few recent cables I have with some similar sleeving have it nice and snug on the cable, and I would like to emulate that.

It wasn't too hard to deal with, and I could have gotten better results if I took more time. I may redo the shrink tubing on the rca cables, but since it's behind the rack I'm not to stressed. The speaker cables I took more time with, and they look pretty nice. Just make sure you get plenty of extra length, because 25 feet of tech flex was enough to do roughly 16 feet of speaker cable. Be careful with the heat because the techflex is easy to melt. Wirecare.com is a good source for the techflex. Good luck and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom