Show me your Mid-Century Modern consoles please!

Sure a nice looking Zenith there. Did the turntable compartment have the light from the factory? Nice touch, and handy.

I just updated our Allied console with minty Marantz 2015. It's a perfect fit at 14" and has the early tube-like "2 Martini" sound. Got it very reasonable from an AK'r. Happy - happy.

HF0LkGhV5PhW83iT6NadUkZ0JZxVOcNAxrAeG_TjQw=w923-h692-no

v5bwJjIkWsfDXdtcpFLo2F08CDju33HkwBHkaUYQ8g=w923-h692-no

I just updated our Allied console with minty Marantz 2015. It's a perfect fit at 14" and has the early tube-like "2 Martini" sound. Got it very reasonable from an AK'r. Happy - happy.

Cool! That Marantz is a nice fit.
I have that same Heathkit 3-piece console. I'm just prepping it to sell soon. Mine has a Heathkit tube amp and tuner.

What do you have in those speaker boxes?

I had a Layfeyette integrated and a Heathkit tuner, but the tuner went bad. There's the original Knight 3 ways that are now 2 ways. I added some 9 x 2 horns crossed over at 4k and few pounds of Hollowfill. It's amazing how good they sound, esp with the 2015. Up top is a restored 1019 with a V15lll & SAS.

I had a Layfeyette integrated and a Heathkit tuner, but the tuner went bad. There's the original Knight 3 ways that are now 2 ways. I added some 9 x 2 horns crossed over at 4k and few pounds of Hollowfill. It's amazing how good they sound, esp with the 2015. Up top is a restored 1019 with a V15lll & SAS.

Very nice. Those speaker cabinets really do sound sweet!
Are yours ported? Mine have 3" port holes in the bottom.

I had a pair of University 312s Series 2 that were going to go in mine.
I had them tuned and all ready to go but they sounded so good I decided to try them in a '64 Magnavox TV/Media Console I was making and they have stayed there ever since.

Instead of the record player, I'm considering putting in a 10" tablet and a DAC in that space in the center console.
I haven't yet decided what to put in the space where the tape player was.

I love that console, Enjoy!

Here's my MCM console: a 1962 Westinghouse HM-1411 tube console with a Voice of Music changer. It was a curb find five years ago when it was part of a neighbor's estate sale and no one wanted it. I'm pretty close to finishing restoring it and can't wait to get it fired up

attachment.php

Last edited:
My Free!! Dumont Puccini. Turntable worked but the AM/FM didn't. Thanks to this site I was able to get my hands on a schematic. Two tubes in the tuner section were glowing, but 5 or 6 others were not. The drawing showed that the tubes that were not lit had their heaters in series. Any one tube with an open heater would take out the whole string. Found the one that was open and replaced it. Now it all works. The cabinet has a few scratches and water marks on the top but mostly in remarkable shape. Used a little Howard Restore a Finish and it's looking and sounding great. Garrard AT6 turntable seems to be working well. It even came with a disco record and a Hank Williams record along with some country cassettes and a bunch of random 45's.

Attachments

• IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 84
Nice looking outfit for sure. Did that turntable and tone arm come as original? Looks like a high end setup for the tube era.

The cabinet and turntable were original when I got it. I added the amp, tuner and matching reel-to-reel. The 301 works great as all original tonearm and Shure cart. There was a new stylus but hardly used and it still is awesome

Of course the Bozaks are add on. I have Tobinized the 302a's

2 piece Magnavox set

My custom made (from 2 mono) Magnavox Stereo setup. 1955 and 1954 mono consoles.

Left Channel speaker and record storage:
SANY0027_zpsfvfn2nxm.jpg

Right channel and main unit:

SANY0029_zps1thufrau.jpg

More info in a separate post.

Packard Bell RPC31. picked up last week at the thrift- my first console and also my first tube amp. in immaculate shape and sounds LUSH. has DPA30-4 amp, MPX5 pre, and Garrard AT6 turntable.

been scouring the threads here about how to get it into shape and has been very enlightening- I have yet to ever recap an amp or anything.

thought i would contribute something though as I have not seen this particular model on the internet yet.

Attachments

• IMG_6510.jpg
    IMG_6510.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_6512.jpg
    IMG_6512.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 104
Welcome to the Forum Porter! You'll have fun here. Nice find that Packard Bell. I notice that you have the anti gravity edition too! :D

Packard Bell RPC31. picked up last week at the thrift- my first console and also my first tube amp. in immaculate shape and sounds LUSH. has DPA30-4 amp, MPX5 pre, and Garrard AT6 turntable.

been scouring the threads here about how to get it into shape and has been very enlightening- I have yet to ever recap an amp or anything.

thought i would contribute something though as I have not seen this particular model on the internet yet.

My latest console find is a 1967 RCA New Vista "Finlandia" Model VHT 75W.
Very heavy with lots of wood grain details with sliding solid doors
It is an early hand wired SS amp with separate pre-amp/tuner, AM/FM/FM stereo with Phono. Has Tape inputs.
The player is RCA's Deluxe Studiomatic 'Victrola' with Studio Strobe and Tubular Feather Action Tone Arm.
The speakers are a sealed 4-way an include 15" Jensen Flex-air woofer and tweeter horn,
and RCA enclosed back oval AlNiCo mid-range and tweeter.
The tone controls have indicators like a car's gas gauge.

The record player needs a lube and one channel has a low output. The input sensitivity seems high.
Even the radio I can't turn up more than a 2 but it sounds excellent, even as is.
Looks to be fairly easy to work on too.

Attachments

• New Vista Finlandia2A.JPG
    New Vista Finlandia2A.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 123
  • New Vista Finlandia1A.JPG
    New Vista Finlandia1A.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 114
  • New Vista Finlandia4A.JPG
    New Vista Finlandia4A.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 120
Back