Show me your Mid-Century Modern consoles please!

I picked up this exact console in great condition
Picked up this great Barzilay console recently. All four doors slide open to reveal speakers and two center sections for components. Originally had a Fisher receiver, long gone, but I am installing my Fisher 800B, a refurbed Elac 50H II turntable and a pair of KLH Model 23's. What is interesting about the console is that the speakers drop in behind the grille cloth and sit on the floor.

index.php
last summer at our local thrift for $20! Best part was the working Mac 1700 receiver and dual turntable that came with it! No speakers though.

My latest console find is a 1967 RCA New Vista "Finlandia" Model VHT 75W.
Very heavy with lots of wood grain details with sliding solid doors
It is an early hand wired SS amp with separate pre-amp/tuner, AM/FM/FM stereo with Phono. Has Tape inputs.
The player is RCA's Deluxe Studiomatic 'Victrola' with Studio Strobe and Tubular Feather Action Tone Arm.
The speakers are a sealed 4-way an include 15" Jensen Flex-air woofer and tweeter horn,
and RCA enclosed back oval AlNiCo mid-range and tweeter.
The tone controls have indicators like a car's gas gauge.

The record player needs a lube and one channel has a low output. The input sensitivity seems high.
Even the radio I can't turn up more than a 2 but it sounds excellent, even as is.
Looks to be fairly easy to work on too.

This is the stereo I grew up with. My dad got it in 1967 or 68, when I was just 8 or 9. The cabinet is different, ours was more Spanish contemporary and actually had leather inserts on the sliding speaker doors.
This is when I fell in love with music . Used to lay on the floor, my head exactly in the center of the console and listen to pop rock and classical at the time and marvel at the different sounds coming out of east channel. Big powerful sound. Brings back a lot of great memories.

I got my Heathkit console 4 years ago when my friends dad passed away and nobody in his family wanted it. I had the 1019 done by Bill and put a Share V15 lll with a SAS on it. I also added some nice horns and crossovers to the 12" Knights and replaced the tired little Lafayette integrated and Heathkit tuner with a sweet Marantz 2015. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/heathkit-console-arrived-today.516097/

In the intervening years my buddy's son has developed a taste for audio, including vinyl. He's a relative newlywed and his well meaning wife bought him a Crosley or similar record grinder. Well I couldn't let that stand, so today he and his dad came and got it. I couldn't be happier seeing it go back to the family and I'm sure Grandpa is smiling up in heaven.

Here's my latest acquisition.
1958 FISHER C-800 Contemporary in Mahoghany. GZ34 Rectified, Push Pull 7189, One 12ax7 for the preamp, and a 6sc7 for the Phono Preamp. Turntable is a Garrard RC-121Mark II running a GE RPX @ 4.5grams (lowest I could get it and still sound good without bouncing all over). It has been electrically overhauled with Nichicon lytics, Illinois yellow axial, and Cornell Dublier "DME" series radial film caps (the Main Filter caps are JJ 50ufx2/ 500v cans). The speakers are by Jensen, a 15" woofer, 8" mid, and a 3" tweeter. It sounds very good and with the limitations of the tweeter does get to 13.5K and then falls off precipitously. But due to the fact I have hearing that falls off above 12K, I don't hear it. So it's not a problem with me. It takes about a minute for sound to get to the speakers on cold startup due to the way FISHER designed the heater circuit for the phono tubes into the bias circuit (yes it's cathode biased). FISHER continued variations of this design all the way up into the X-202 series IIRC.

The tuner is very responsive in FM, picking up stations far away (>40 miles) on a simple Dipole. Selectivity is good but not up to 70's standards for mid level S.S. gear probably due to it being wide band. But for what it is, it's a very good unit. AM needs work, although it does get all the local stations it could be better.
A headphone jack would be a great addition to this unit for those times when SWMBO is listening to the TV and you've got your jazz station going or even a baseball game on.

The tone controls are more off / on than ramping up and ramping down in operation. I think part of it is the pots themselves and then the circuits are fairly basic too. But with the Contemporary being 1 or 2 off the BOTL I would think this is probably typical. I notice a similar operation in the Tone pots on my 1951 FISHER Coronet, so it might be the pots. It's not a big issue, and I'm not overly anal retentive or OCD about it. So they'll stay as is.

On an outside source or Radio you can crank it to 11. On Phono the tonearm starts to jitterbug at about 02:00 on the Volume. Which is plenty high as it is. Distortion hit's about there(02:00 volume) and it's a subtle ramp up to a flank bell by 03:30 or so).

Some will have the AUX input jack marked as TV and some Marked Stereo. The later serial'ed units are marked stereo, so you could use another unit as a FM STEREO Source ("B" CHANNEL) and input it into the C-800. You can do this also with the units marked TV. You would need a unit similar to either the C-810 (1959 Contemporary) or a 610 Consolette, or a Custom Electra III that had provisions in the receiver for stereo and a "B" channel output to an amp. You could also use a Stereo tuner, a stereo preamp and run to 2 amps, the contemporary being one of them. I haven't tried it out in this mode with my 610 yet, but will down the road.

So without further Ado................
1958 FISHER Contemporary (closed up)
100_5195.JPG

1958 Contemporary
With the Front OPEN
100_5196.JPG

One thing you can do with the C800 and C810 to improve the top end a bit: the classic Foster/Fostex horn tweeter fits directly in place of the Jensen cone tweeter.

I have picked up two. With fisher's and JBL's One with TA-800 and one with a 800-B Think I will soda blast the white one and stain the wood a nice color. Realy don't care for the paint. Gave my high power sony to my son with the JBL's I built. I'm going back to old tech Both are acousti Craft Console'sTA-800.jpg s-l64(6).jpg s-l64(6).jpg s-l64(6).jpg s-l64(6).jpg

Last edited:
9B887F6F-C880-4EA2-96C4-22A84B975469.jpeg

Bogen R-660 tuner into a Bogen AP-30 amp. It pales in comparison to some of the setups I see here but it really sounds pretty good. I just recapped and replaced all tubes

Oh, you can get the wood, , plus you'd need a VERY GOOD Furniture Carpenter, but figure on a HEFTY mortgage on the house!

Back
Top Bottom