Show off Your Home Bar

KLH9

A Double Pair Sounds OK
Let's see see those home bars.....

I'll start off with the one I have at our cabin in the great white north

Made by the Rock-Ola Juke box company (other home bars to follow)

rock_closed_2.jpg

rock_open_2.jpg

rock_close.jpg

rock_label.jpg

Bought this to put my Sansui in:
DSCF3885-1.jpg

Had so much spare room, we decided to turn the rest of it into a bar/wine cabinet:

DSCF3886-1.jpg

I made the side shelves out of phenolic that I had laying around, but it tends to sag under weight. We're getting ready to move, and when this gets re-assembled, I'll either brace the bottoms, or make new ones out of wood.

When you mention phenolic, what exactly are you talking about? The resin products like outdoor plastic chairs are made of, and hiw thick? I ask because I'm planning on using Corian for the glassware shelves in the bar I'm building, but not if it'll sag.

When you mention phenolic, what exactly are you talking about? The resin products like outdoor plastic chairs are made of, and hiw thick? I ask because I'm planning on using Corian for the glassware shelves in the bar I'm building, but not if it'll sag.
Micarta is the most common brand of phenolic. It is generally alternate layers of canvas, linen, or paper and resin. Alot of the boards inside stereo equipment is phenolic - the brown boards that have all of the components attached to it. Stronger than all getup, a great insulator, and can take some heat without failing.

If you look closely at the photo, you can see how the shelves with the components on them have a slight bow in the middle. Those were made out of 1/4" sheet. The ones on the right with the booze are made of 3/8" thick, but also sag. I'm not concerned with them breaking, because the stuff is hell for strong, but I don't care for the looks of the sagging.

There are different grades of phenolic that I'm sure are more rigid than this, but it's all I have. It's also expensive to buy new. I got mine surplus, so cost wasn't an issue. I have some in 1" thick, but a 36" X 48' sheet weighs around 100lbs. A little too heavy for shelving material.

Gotcha. Thanks. I guess I don't have to worry about semi-small shleves made of Corian then. No heavy weights on them.

Bought this to put my Sansui in:
DSCF3885-1.jpg

Had so much spare room, we decided to turn the rest of it into a bar/wine cabinet:

DSCF3886-1.jpg

I made the side shelves out of phenolic that I had laying around, but it tends to sag under weight. We're getting ready to move, and when this gets re-assembled, I'll either brace the bottoms, or make new ones out of wood.
Goals haha I like this :D

Back
Top Bottom