Show Off Your Small Listening Space

My studio/music room is only 9' X 9' and it was really packed. Since joining AK, I've been reading threads on the best components for a small room, layout, furniture refinishing, you name it. Tonight I managed to get the first installment done with the help of my son.

A few weeks ago I picked up a free Nivico/JVC console. It was solid state and the reel to reel was missing, the tuner was screwed up and the TT was pretty sad. The console itself was almost spotless. I made the decision to gut the console, refinish it and use it for a stand for my Denon DP-2000 TT ($14.99) and Kenwood KR-4600 receiver ($45.00). The first picture shows the set up.

I found an old record cabinet for $5.00 which will contain my most listened to LPs. On top are my Denon DR-M10 cassette player ($7.00) and a JVC XL-R5000 CD recorder ($14.99). On top of the cassette deck are the Stax Electret Earspeakers I picked up last week ($10.00). To the right is one of my ADS L570/2 speakers ($10.00). The cabinets of the ADS were rough so I sanded them down and restained them. In front of the speaker is an artist mannequin I found at GW for $2.00. It brought back fond memories of the old Stereo Review covers where one was frequently featured. Gave the mannequin a coat of stain to make him look older (like me).

There is still quite a bit of work to do. I'm painting the room and adding artwork and some sculpture. I'll add pictures as I go along. Thanks for all the great ideas and photos that gave me the inspiration.:thmbsp:

Attachments

• IMG_5044.jpg
    IMG_5044.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 2,965
  • IMG_5045.jpg
    IMG_5045.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 3,172
Last edited:
5bbsr7.jpg

Lol... this is the 2nd thread (in a week or so) that I posted a pic of my stuff
(the other was another room) and had the realization that pictures certainly
give you a different perspective on how things look.

Here's mine!

I'm in a 10X12 room that is the llistening room/wifes office. Definitely not perfect but it gets me by, especially with glass of Crown.

racfan9

Attachments

• IMG_0836[1].jpg
    IMG_0836[1].jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 2,907
@Art - your room pics always look great...I'm going to have to work on my photography skills a bit this weekend.

How are you liking the Dyns? I still miss mine sometimes. They make a good sounding speaker.

Bill

Small Home theater room ... just 12 x 16 and 7.1 capable!
Its gone through many evolutions since we bought the house in Aug 2000!
Currently - Vandersteen 2CE mains Vandy VCC1 Center, JBL 4641 (18") sub in the right corner, cloaked.
Vandy 2CIs for side surrounds, DCM Time Frames (TF-600) for rear surrounds ...

More details here -
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=459878

attachment.php

Last edited:
Queen sized bed 5.1 system with 4 12 inch subs.(two are out of frame)(back channels directly to the side of head)
Due to the open side,room correction was a must. :smoke:
The center dual sub was built out of 1 inch thick desk leftovers and tuned with up facing slotted ports.
Lagged to the wall and cushioned against vibration. I can put my feet on it if I want to. ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• queen 5.jpg
    queen 5.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 3,936
This is my small computer room setup. The room is 11x11x8'

Attachments

• IMG_0724.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,158
  • IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg