Show Off Your Small Listening Space

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080120/

dfc520831c4a54fb04886cf2107c2ba7.jpg

Is that enough info? :D

Mmmmm dont remember that one :idea: May have to check it out....Thanks

Very interesting thread. We are in the process of downsizing from a 5 bedroom house to a three bedroom house (retirement pending). I have a handicapped brother who lives with us who gets one bedroom and wife insists the other one be set up for grandchildren. That relegates me to a study that is about 10' X 11'. I'm used to moderately big stuff - Marantz 2325 with Klipsch Fortes and JBL L100's. At this point, I can't make myself consider more modern/smaller speakers. I love the ones I have too much. We have purchased the house and have a couple of months of upgrading to do before moving in, so it remains to be seen how I can make that equipment work in that small room. I will be using this thread to get some ideas. Any advice? :D
Those are two BIG pairs of speakers for that small room. My space is the same size and I can't imagine being able to set up two pairs of that size fir good sound.
Treat the room with DIY treatments as much as you can if you get the chance.

Those are two BIG pairs of speakers for that small room. My space is the same size and I can't imagine being able to set up two pairs of that size fir good sound.
Treat the room with DIY treatments as much as you can if you get the chance.
Well, I may have lucked into a bigger space. Went to the house tonight and made some changes to plans. The house has a decent size family room with fireplace and a "formal living" area about 12 X 15 separated from the living area by a wall. The original plan was to remove the wall to make a giant open living area. But I think I talked the wife into leaving the wall and letting me have the formal area for listening. The trade off? We can afford more hardwood flooring if we don't have to pay a remodeler to remove the wall, place a beam and blend the ceilings with drywall. I can work with this a little better. :banana:

Just moved into a new house and have set up a temporary listening space in a spare room 12' x 13' until I can my act together and fix up the dedicated listening room 13' x 15'.

Here is the view from my listening position. Sounds great but need to get into the dedicated space where I can sort out sound treatment.

One added benefit to this space is I get a nightly firework show from Disney World.

IMG_1835.JPG IMG_1836.JPG

My tiny space.

Looks a bit different today, but basically the same, minus the speakers. And a Firstwatt F7, instead of the Monarchy amps. Getting a pair of Tempo Electric EP-1's, hopefully next week.

I have to say that I much prefer nearfield listening. Even when I had a larger space, I still chose to go nearfield.

image-02.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, I may have lucked into a bigger space. Went to the house tonight and made some changes to plans. The house has a decent size family room with fireplace and a "formal living" area about 12 X 15 separated from the living area by a wall. The original plan was to remove the wall to make a giant open living area. But I think I talked the wife into leaving the wall and letting me have the formal area for listening. The trade off? We can afford more hardwood flooring if we don't have to pay a remodeler to remove the wall, place a beam and blend the ceilings with drywall. I can work with this a little better. :banana:

Yeah, the great great room thing can be a bit overdone and over rated. At some point, like this situation, you just might want some isolation in a living space and not be part of the 3 other things going on at the same time including the washing of dishes!

Just be sure you also have some way to close off that space so you can choose to turn up the volume when wanted and not here other noise from the house. I can not do this in my space which is the "formal" living room that was pretty much going unused otherwise. Unfortunately it doesn't have doors and there are two wide openings. A sliding barn type door (see them al the time used on HGTV shows) is often a good way to have both a nice large opening to the room for when entertaining, as well as a way to close it off.

This room also becomes a great place to have a phone conversation.

Anyone have thoughts on putting their Hi-Fi on the opposite wall of the TV? Thats how I have mine and on "all vinyl weekends" I turn my chair around in front of the tv to sit in the sweet spot.

I am redoing the livingroom and am pondering putting the Hi-Fi and the TV on the same wall, just not sure

Anyone have thoughts on putting their Hi-Fi on the opposite wall of the TV? Thats how I have mine and on "all vinyl weekends" I turn my chair around in front of the tv to sit in the sweet spot.

I am redoing the livingroom and am pondering putting the Hi-Fi and the TV on the same wall, just not sure

Kind of. My stereo is on the opposite wall from my computer.

You get the sound reflecting off the TV right behind you. Maybe drape a carpet or something over the TV to minimize that?

Back
Top Bottom