Show us Videos of your systems! Let's see and hear them!

That sounds and look excellent! I always enjoy your videos.
Cheers, Glenn

Thanks Glenn. I'm really happy with my system right now. Things kind of came together very quickly with the addition of the 3a's and Mac gear. I'd like to try a Mac tube pre like the MX110 with it, but if it doesn't happen I am perfectly satisfied with everything as it is. Making it easy to pick out records to play because I want to hear everything through this gear.

A nice place to be.

Let's see if this one works better:

I need to be Educated...
So...
I see the value of the AR3 are north of $1500.00 !
And started to read a bit about how these are said to be the best Speakers made in history by some people's thoughts and opinions...

What have I been missing...what information have I been missing and when were the last AR3 produced?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Research

Last edited:
I need to be Educated...
So...
I see the value of the AR3 are north of $1500.00 !
And started to read a bit about how these are said to be the best Speakers made in history by some people's thoughts and opinions...

What have I been missing...what information have I been missing and when were the last AR3 produced?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Research
The last AR3's were produced in 1967, the same time the 3a was introduced. Both were available at the same time that year. Some buyers still wanted-preferred the 3 over the 3a.
I'm not going to quote history here as there's a ton of historic info about the AR3 on line.
Keep in mind if you find a set, they will most likely need to be fully restored. That means new caps, except for the early 3's with the oil caps, keep those, and the biggest two issues are the corroded pots, and greatly diminished output from the mids. The original flexabledome suspension material by now has become rock hard, not allowing the domes to move properly. Roy C. is repairing the mids at about a 75% success rate, bringing them back to near new output. Ebay seller Vintage-ar advertises this service, and it is Roy who does the work. Going directly to Roy will save you some money. Roy rebuilt a pair of mine, and the improvement is astounding. He told me their output is virtually like new. Generally the woofers are always fine, and the tweeters hold up fairly well, though some domes start to pop up because the 4 little foam retainer blobs have started to let go. This is an easy repair, and I think Roy can also repair them.
Another reason these are so expensive is because of the dome tweeter being on of the first commercially available in a acoustic suspension speaker. There's a set on display in the Smithsonian in Washington D.C.
Regarding the best speaker ever, I will not get into that debate, too subjective. We all hear differently, and have preferences to sound, so no two people will always think the same thing.
I love the two pairs I have and will not sell them.
Glenn

Last edited:
Regarding the best speaker ever, I will not get into that debate, too subjective. We all hear differently, and have preferences to sound, so no two people will always think the same thing.

I agree that it's subjective, but I will say that a lot of criticism that I read about the 3/3a in particular happens when people listen to them before they ever get restored properly, or through inadequate amplification, or it's their memories of how the speaker sounded decades ago. When I hear that somebody doesn't like the speaker because it sounds veiled or muddy it almost always because of one/all of these reasons. Properly restored and with proper amplification, there is no issues with the highs/mids at all, and blended in with that amazing 12" woofer, it's incredible to me how anybody could not like this speaker. The presentation is completely realistic. Now obviously there are always going to folks who prefer even more detail/high end then the 3/3a pThey provides. But for me these are perfect. Every type of music that I play sounds great on it. And I play pretty much every strain of sound through my gear that one could imagine.

So at the very least, the next time you read/hear somebody criticizing these speakers, or when you listen for the first time, take the above into consideration before making a final determination if they're right for you.

I agree that it's subjective, but I will say that a lot of criticism that I read about the 3/3a in particular happens when people listen to them before they ever get restored properly, or through inadequate amplification, or it's their memories of how the speaker sounded decades ago. When I hear that somebody doesn't like the speaker because it sounds veiled or muddy it almost always because of one/all of these reasons. Properly restored and with proper amplification, there is no issues with the highs/mids at all, and blended in with that amazing 12" woofer, it's incredible to me how anybody could not like this speaker. The presentation is completely realistic. Now obviously there are always going to folks who prefer even more detail/high end then the 3/3a pThey provides. But for me these are perfect. Every type of music that I play sounds great on it. And I play pretty much every strain of sound through my gear that one could imagine.

So at the very least, the next time you read/hear somebody criticizing these speakers, or when you listen for the first time, take the above into consideration before making a final determination if they're right for you.
Well they're on my radar now if I ever find a pair 4 a song I won't pass them by....
And being in the Smithsonian that says something a definite Hallmark in history for loudspeakers

Well they're on my radar now if I ever find a pair 4 a song I won't pass them by....
And being in the Smithsonian that says something a definite Hallmark in history for loudspeakers

Don't restrict yourself to just the 3. If you can find a pair of early 3a's with the cloth surround woofer, it's pretty much(sonically speaking) the same speaker, especially the bottom end, and they sell for prices that are a little more reasonable then the 3's, which have hit the stratosphere. The 3's are huge in Asia particularly which is keeping prices elevated. I've owned both 3's and early 3a's(which are the one's in the video), and while I would gladly love to own another pair of 3's, it would be mainly for their collectible status. I don't feel I'm missing anything with the 3a's.

Back
Top Bottom