Show us your cables

Adda

We once had a thread where people showed off their cables, and shared ideas on how to assemble them, or maybe you know a good place to get pre fabricated ones.
I miss a thread like that so here we go.

For a while I have wanted to get my interconnects sorted out, I think I have reached that point now.
I thought I'd go with 8 audio cables, but decided to build my own.

I'm using Supra Trico double screened silver plated OFC all the way through, this is 75 Ohm cable made for digital video and audio.
I see no reason it can't be used for analogue audio though, the price is good for a silver plated OFC cable.
The outer screen is made of OFC mesh, the inner screen silver plated OFC, and the core is stranded silver plated OFC.

Now the cable I use for SPDIF is very short, so I stripped the outer jacket and screen from the cable, to make it more flexible.
Hicon locking RCA at one end, Supra PPX at the other, the PPX fits the connector on my hiFace well, while the locking RCA fits well on the Atoll.
I needed it flexible as it is sort of curled up behind my DAC, pushing my hiFace Two against the back of my DAC, and keeping it from dangling around, neat and tidy.

Between DAC and preamp I have HGA LOK Silver Point RCA's on the same Trico cable.
Outer screen is only connected at the source end.

The latest addition is two 3 meter long cables, also made of Trico, but a different variation of the cable, a more flexible variant with a blueish tint.
Since the LOK RCA's seem that have gone out of production, or at least aren't available in DK anymore, I went with Eichmann Silver RCA's in stead.
While they are nice and all, I do think the plastic they are made of, should be able to handle the heat from soldering, at their price, that shouldn't be a problem.
But if you work quick, it won't be.
Again the outer screen is only connected at the source end.

The cable replaced a Lindy Premium Gold cable, also 3 meters, I didn't go for a particular sound when I got the parts, I just got what looked best at the price I was willing to pay.

To my surprise, this Trico + Eichmann Silver RCA cable is warmer sounding the the Lindy, I hadn't realized the Lindy was a bright cable.
A very welcome surprise :yes:

fa98b312_AUT_7307.jpeg

Show us yours don't limit your self to interconnects, power cables and speaker cables will do fine!

Last edited:
But they look like good bread and butter cables, for those who just want cables that work, but nothing fancy.

Yes, that's exactly what I wanted. The cable is a very low-capacity selection from Belden, and the connectors are Neutrik. Nothing fancy, just professional-grade interconnects, as one might find in a recording studio.

Supra Classic 6 with Supra BFA's, very good, inexpensive cable with banana's that can be converted to straight or right-angle. These go great with my Larsen Model 4 speakers, Swedish synergy? Tim

Attachments

• Supra Classic 6 BFA's.jpg
    Supra Classic 6 BFA's.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 167
Supra Classic 6 with Supra BFA's, very good, inexpensive cable with banana's that can be converted to straight or right-angle. These go great with my Larsen Model 4 speakers, Swedish synergy? Tim

Supra really is good value, you'd think a Swedish brand would be quite expensive, but not this brand.

Agreed! I also like their no-hype atitude they take with things as well. They just seem to go about their business making reasonably priced, well put together cables and accessories. Well recommended. Tim

More later, but I thought I'd share some photos of my new AntiCables. I'm really excited about them!

Not everything is in the pics, but this is what I got:
Level 3 Power Cable
Level 2 Power Cable
Level 3 Speaker Cables with copper spades
Level 3 Interconnects (double shielded)
Level 2 Interconnects (double shielded)

0EC26EB1-31D6-4439-8425-5E25BD6C21AC-7628-000006A970504D86_zpsf6f8b1fa.jpg

5C5459FE-D60B-438B-899C-866499C24970-7628-000006A979505868_zpsa1c4c31d.jpg

A8EB823B-226F-4CC4-9FE1-484AA2E7F185-7628-000006A97F1BB43C_zpsba64467f.jpg

5368DFD4-2979-427F-A12C-71ABB5191DBF-7628-000006A98F7E6DA5_zps1464faca.jpg

Very nice, thanks for sharing, please share some impressions if you want.
I have seen those cables before, quite exotic interconnects I must say, they take the idea behind the Eichmann RCA's to the extreme.

For I/C I have been very pleased with my hand built Morrow Audio cables. I have sets of MA1.1 from my DAC to my NAD amp and also from my Teac R2R deck to my NAD. I use their MA3 Reference from the CDP to the amp. These all have multiple runs of small gauge silver coated copper wire that is silver solderd to terminations. Very black background and the sound is very neutral, convey what is on the source material nicely.

I also use their PH3 Reference phono cable for my mmf-7.1 TT, this has been probably the biggest improvement in my cables. The stock cable from MH gave me a slight hum with volume at about 11 o'clock. These PH3 Reference are built with 3 runs of shielded solid core wires and have all but eliminated any TT hum, I can go to 4 o'clock volume and hear no hum and of course I would never listen that loud anyhow!

For my speakers I had BlueJeans in Seattle build me cables using the Belden 5000 10AWG with locking bananas, fantastic sounding, no odd coloring added to my sound just pure, their build quality is very high end. I have had AQ cables that sounded just as good as these, but quadruple the price!
I also upgraded the jumpers to Morrow Audio speaker jumpers, these really helped the low end on my Epos and gave me impressive ST'ing. Again excellent build quality from Morrow Audio.

For my optical cable I use an Audio Quest Forest toslink from my DAC to the Zune docking station, did not really sense a big improvement over the stock cable but I know the quality is better, will last longer.

Here are the only pics I have showing my cables, not good ones.

Cheers!

nad8.jpg

nad9.jpg

biwire2_zpsd139b568.jpg

biwire1_zpsc203b6b4.jpg

A cable thread, I'm game :) have to use stock pics as no camera from the store. The ICs are the R1 models, all are Aurealis brand.

Attachments

• Speakers.JPG
    Speakers.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 65
  • ICs.JPG
    ICs.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Phono.JPG
    Phono.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 64
I glad to see people have started participating, I personally find it quite interesting to see different designs and good craftsmanship.

It seems Eichmann RCA's are quite popular huh?

big cable, Elrod silver signature:music:

Attachments

• IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2215.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2216.jpg
    IMG_2216.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2217.jpg
    IMG_2217.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2219.jpg
    IMG_2219.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 72
Again the outer screen is only connected at the source end.

This makes no sense. It is plain bad practice. One only gets away with it due to the low impedance source or the fact that somewhere else in the chain the earth is made through power/other rcas etc- often a convoluted path with a significant R.

Doing this into a high impedance inputs (FET etc) wil result in all sorts of hums, noise and RFI.

If you have an issue with Hum with fully shielded cables- there are other issues and cutting a shield is not a solution- nor a sensible practice.

Many components are being driven by SMPSs these days and chassis can be floating at all sorts of voltages and frequencies, Mains polarity inversions from reversed plugs can make chassis float all over the shop. Some may be earthed, some not. The best thing you can do for noise is pull every component to a common Earth or 0v with a decent connection to every piece in your system. If it hums or gets noise in then- the component is poorly designed and should go.

Not wanting to start a cable debate, but unshielded, or partially shielded single effective conductor interconnects between components is silly. The more Digital hash around our gear, the more important it is to keep it out- and cables are nice antennas for it, especialy porly designed ones.

This makes no sense. It is plain bad practice. One only gets away with it due to the low impedance source or the fact that somewhere else in the chain the earth is made through power/other rcas etc- often a convoluted path with a significant R.

Doing this into a high impedance inputs (FET etc) wil result in all sorts of hums, noise and RFI.

If you have an issue with Hum with fully shielded cables- there are other issues and cutting a shield is not a solution- nor a sensible practice.

Many components are being driven by SMPSs these days and chassis can be floating at all sorts of voltages and frequencies, Mains polarity inversions from reversed plugs can make chassis float all over the shop. Some may be earthed, some not. The best thing you can do for noise is pull every component to a common Earth or 0v with a decent connection to every piece in your system. If it hums or gets noise in then- the component is poorly designed and should go.

Not wanting to start a cable debate, but unshielded, or partially shielded single effective conductor interconnects between components is silly. The more Digital hash around our gear, the more important it is to keep it out- and cables are nice antennas for it, especialy porly designed ones.

You must have misunderstood something, there are two wirebraid shields in the cable, an inner one of silver plated copper, and and outer one of copper.
The inner one is connected at both ends, the outer one, at the source end.
The core of the cable is stranded as I mentioned.

My analogue cables, power cables and digital cables, don't cross or come close to each other, except for my USB cable which runs under the power cord for the DAC.

My system has a tremendous amount of gain, but at max volume, I can only hear faint static through my ~93dB/w speakers.

I have done the DIY route and tried so many different cable company brands over the years (12-15 brands at least) and finally settled on these for my 2CH IC path - JPS Labs SC3. For all MCH IC connections, I use the cheaper Ultraconductor 2

Attachments

• superconductor_3_rca_jps_labs.jpg
    superconductor_3_rca_jps_labs.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 81
I use the following cables. You might say that I have a 'thing' for PCOCC! I do like supporting local Aussie designers/manufacturers wherever possible.

Aurealis R1 with Neotech PCOCC and Eichmann copper RCAs:

aurealis3.jpg

TDK PCOCC CA-QL601 quad geometry PTFE encased speaker cable with Multi Contact BFAs and silver solder:

Audio Principe/Grave Science Limited Edition SPDIF cable:

2013_2_09-0011-1024x768.jpg

DIY mains cables (whether hard-wired to my amps, or in IEC format to suit other gear) with Belden 19364 cable and Martin Kaiser IECs and mains plugs, or Clipsal 1439SHD mains plugs.

diycable1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom