Show us your cosmetic mods/upgrades to your vintage audio gear

Nothing too fancy. I just redid my armboard for my Technics SL-1100a (walnut veneer over MDF, red mahogany stain), then mounted an SME arm:

toptilt.jpg

topviewj.jpg

sideviewqy.jpg

Here's a picture of my recently discussed Large Utility Advents that I recovered in black vinyl. I am using them currently as the "A" system fronts on my 7.1 HT system. The Mission 760i's are the "B" system. The cabinet was made from an old chest of drawers from a thrift store for about $10. It was painted black with hammer textured paint in the front areas then covered with the same black vinyl that I used on the speakers on the flat areas.

The LED lights came from Parts Express. They are remote controlled and there are many choices of colors and intensities. The LED's which fit exactly (39"/1 meter) on the cabinet's curved lip were on sale along with the power supply and the remote. I think the total was around $25 to do that. they are really cool looking in a dark room when watching a movie at night or for ambient lighting.

By the way just for info....you can see my nice Pioneer cassette 6 tape changer in the picture and that HD with the orange circle is a 500 GB DVD Expander that connects to the Scientific Atlantic 8300 cable receiver and gives it a huge capacity for recording those HD programs.

I'm kind of proud of the way it all turned out! Thanks! Franksta

Nice work.

Wow - thats really tasteful and nice. I want to do something like this for my Jolida Tube amp - incorporate wood sides as feet to increase underneath space and allow better airflow. Maybe something like this for the Carver gear as well ...
Thanks for the inspiration!

Solid maple side panels for my two Sony TA-N80ES amps. The original rosewood veneer panels were in rough shape, and didn't match my furniture very well.

n80esmapletopleft.jpg

Attachments

• GE7199_5772.jpg
    GE7199_5772.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Great thread! It is inspiring to see the "out side the box" tweaks and fixes that AK'rs have come up with.

Those maple side pieces on that Sony eqiupment really lightens up the look of it. I'm thinking of doing the same with Cherry for my SAE equipment which has a similar design.
Somebody needs to dust under those Sony's!

Did this a few years ago. New Red Oak veneer on Pioneer DT-5, CT-F950, SA-6800 and TX-6800.

oaksystem1.jpg

oaksystem2.jpg

Attachments

• oak system 006.jpg
    oak system 006.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 13
Wow lots of great pics here!

here is my Pioneer SX-1980 with new solid walnut case and custom painted transformer :D

096f7bc0.jpg

Those maple side pieces on that Sony eqiupment really lightens up the look of it. I'm thinking of doing the same with Cherry for my SAE equipment which has a similar design.
Somebody needs to dust under those Sony's!

I know it. I didn't think the dust was that bad or I would have cleaned the shelf off better! The picture really highlighted it!

Thanks all for the comments. There is some great work on this thread!

picture.php

Peeled off the crappy grey-brown fake vinyl with a putty knife and a hair dryer.
Replaced it with iron-on cherry veneer and six coats of gloss polyurethane.
Tom

While not vintage Here is a picture of my Jolida JD102 B with Corian side panels attached with small(one panel removed to show magnets) magnets.This method allows for easy on off for cleaning and you can make multiple panels of different materials if you choose.The magnets must be flush mounted to get a clean look but that is simple with the proper bit.With wood side panels correct for the unit this is a very good way to go without locating and using longer screws.

Attachments

• JOLIDA 009.jpg
    JOLIDA 009.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Nothing too fancy. I just redid my armboard for my Technics SL-1100a (walnut veneer over MDF, red mahogany stain), then mounted an SME arm:

toptilt.jpg

topviewj.jpg

sideviewqy.jpg

wow! I now have something else to put on the list of things to do with my table. I want to buy/build a wooden plinth for it as well.

Have some cosmetic upgrades to a pair of speakers. Took some EPI A240's, stripped the vinyl and put on a cherry veneer in its place.

Attachments

• PICT0052.jpg
    PICT0052.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 83
Altec Model 15

Rebuilt 1979 Altec Model 15 loudspeakers:
-rebuilt xovers w/ Solen Fast Caps
-upgraded binding posts to HD gold-plated brass 5-way posts
-rewired w/ Kimber Kable 4TC
-sanded cabinets to bare oak veneer
-refinished to like new condition

Last edited: