Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Rich P, You don't just show us your dinner. You give us an experience.

-Dave
Dave,

That is my goal. I have a strange ability. If you can tell me what's in it, I can taste it. That is, if I am familiar with the ingredients.As a DJ, I am able to size up an individual and do the same with music. Such things are my joy in life. The actual recipes I use are available on request (via PM). My hope is to inspire others to grow and enjoy, as our friend in the US embasy in Seoul Korea does.

If having a restaurant was simply making people happy with food, I would have been doing it for 40 years already. Actually, it is a life full of politics and BS. So I do it in my home, and for my congregation.

We don't eat out much, now that I am retired. We eat better at home. I have a couple of professional chef friends. I am always learning.

My beloved bride, Heidi, is my sous chef, muse, and critic. Her contributions are beyond successful valuation.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Duck Pho

Today, as promised, we dealt with our duck carcass, from the other night. I tossed that puppy into a pot of water early this morning, and simmered it until the bones got crumbly. I then added in the wings, for meat purposes, and simmered it a bit longer. Next, I spooned the fat off of the top, for use later. I took the solids out of the pot and turned them over to my sous chef, Her-Heidiness, to separate edible meat from anything else. Anything we don't eat, gets ground up for use in making special dog cookies, for Cherokee, our big Great Pyrenees.

Once the fat was separated off, I added the following traditional Pho spices: whole cloves, star anise, Vietnamese cinnamon, black cardamom pods, black peppercorns, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, ginger, onions, Vietnamese fish sauce, Vietnamese palm sugar. The pot was simmered for a couple more hours, and then put through a fine strainer, retaining only the broth,

(Note: If you do not remove the fat "before" adding in the spices, you lose two ways. First, much of what spices provide is fat soluble, so when you remove the fat, you remove much of the flavor. Second, the fat is spiced, so you can't use it for unrelated cooking.)

Finally, the Pho was assembled: spiced duck broth, pho rice noodles, sliced red onion, scallions, cilantro, Thai basil, mint, mung bean sprouts, and mushrooms (from the other night: crimini, trumpet, oyster, Chinese seafood). Then the resulting soup was dressed for enjoyment: fresh lime juice, Hoisin sauce, Sriracha, and sugar.

The broth was lighter and more delicate than our traditional beef. It was quite tasty, indeed.

To wash it down, like the other night, some nice pink grapefruit juice and vodka.

IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

Stay tuned. I still have two duck legs with oysters attached. I'm thinking Szechuan five-spice duck...

Enjoy,
Rich P

19366066_1533635586683070_370910792040274390_n.jpg

First course, shrimp and muscles.

Duck Pho

Today, as promised, we dealt with our duck carcass, from the other night. I tossed that puppy into a pot of water early this morning, and simmered it until the bones got crumbly. I then added in the wings, for meat purposes, and simmered it a bit longer. Next, I spooned the fat off of the top, for use later. I took the solids out of the pot and turned them over to my sous chef, Her-Heidiness, to separate edible meat from anything else. Anything we don't eat, gets ground up for use in making special dog cookies, for Cherokee, our big Great Pyrenees.

Once the fat was separated off, I added the following traditional Pho spices: whole cloves, star anise, Vietnamese cinnamon, black cardamom pods, black peppercorns, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, ginger, onions, Vietnamese fish sauce, Vietnamese palm sugar. The pot was simmered for a couple more hours, and then put through a fine strainer, retaining only the broth,

(Note: If you do not remove the fat "before" adding in the spices, you lose two ways. First, much of what spices provide is fat soluble, so when you remove the fat, you remove much of the flavor. Second, the fat is spiced, so you can't use it for unrelated cooking.)

Finally, the Pho was assembled: spiced duck broth, pho rice noodles, sliced red onion, scallions, cilantro, Thai basil, mint, mung bean sprouts, and mushrooms (from the other night: crimini, trumpet, oyster, Chinese seafood). Then the resulting soup was dressed for enjoyment: fresh lime juice, Hoisin sauce, Sriracha, and sugar.

The broth was lighter and more delicate than our traditional beef. It was quite tasty, indeed.

To wash it down, like the other night, some nice pink grapefruit juice and vodka.

View attachment 955744

View attachment 955745

Stay tuned. I still have two duck legs with oysters attached. I'm thinking Szechuan five-spice duck...

Enjoy,
Rich P

this is sick!

I need to have this.

I am printing out this post and giving it to the cook!!!!

Greek Night

I found a rack of Frenched lamb chops, and got inspired to make something special for Her-Heidiness. She told me that she did not like lamb, and I take such statements to be a challenge. The results were such that we all ate enough to be uncomfortably full afterwards.

First, we had an Greek salad: red onion, roasted pinion nuts, minced garlic, quartered kalamata olives, extra virgin kalamata olive oil, red wine vinegar, sea salt, fresh-ground black pepper, fresh chopped dill, Greek feta cheese, and baby arugula.

Next, we had Avgolemono (Greek Lemon-Chicken Soup): reduced chicken broth, orzo pasta, sea salt, fresh-ground black pepper, fresh eggs from the girls in the back yard, fresh-squeezed lemon juice. This was served with fresh garlic blossoms from the garden.

Next, Greek lemon potatoes: russet potatoes, minced garlic, extra virgin kalamata olive oil, oregano, fresh-squeezed lemon juice, semolina, sea salt, and fresh-ground black pepper.

Finally, Paidakia (Greek lamb chops): Frenched rack of lamb chops, marinated for 24 hours in extra-virgin kalamata olive oil, minced garlic, mustard, chopped fresh thyme, oregano, fresh chopped rosemary, lemon zest, and black peppercorns.

All of this was served with a nice bottle of Bellini "Secco Peach," which is a peach infused Prosecco (mildly sparkly).

View attachment 954085

View attachment 954088

View attachment 954087

View attachment 954086

Enjoy,
Rich P

another gem!

Lao / Thai Night

First, we had a Lao favorite, Laab Neua: ground beef, chopped onions, garlic, minced ginger, fresh minced lemongrass from the garden, "Red Boat" fish sauce, "Mae Ploy" sweet chili sauce, lime juice, fresh mint leaves from the garden, fresh cilantro, and roasted and chopped peanuts. This was served with petals of fresh cabbage and the last nasturtium of the season, from the garden.

Next, we had Thai Tom Kha Gai: reduced chicken broth, coconut milk, "Red Boat" fish sauce, kha (galangal) slices, kaffir lime leaves, fresh lemongrass from the garden, Vietnamese palm sugar, salt, white pepper, Thai chili powder, wedges of fresh red onion, wedges of fresh tomato, quartered crimini mushrooms, green beans, and chunks of chicken thigh meat. This is served with a nice bowl of Japanese rice.

View attachment 950661

View attachment 950662

View attachment 950663

Enjoy,
Rich P

Oh wow, now I have to have some Thai tonight.

Asian Fusion - Part Deux

As you may remember, I just had to have me some duck, so I went out and picked up a whole one and divided it into its constituent elements. With the breasts we made Hoisin/Ginger Duck, with Wasabi Cauliflower and a mushroom medley. With the carcass, we made Duck Pho. These are fairly recent entries, above.

All that I had left were the legs, with oysters attached. They were so beautiful that I wanted to do something special with them. It took the better part of the day to research my selections. Here is what we wound up with...

The Wasabi Cauliflower was so good, and we had more green cauliflower left, so I made it again: Florets of fresh, green cauliflower, coated in sesame oil, wasabi, sea salt, and fresh-ground black pepper. This is roasted to nice crisp tenderness.

Next, we had some beansprouts left, so I decided to make Kongnamul (Korean Beansprout Salad): steamed beansprouts, chopped scallions, gochugaru (Korean red pepper medley), mushroom infused soy sauce, sesame oil, toasted sesame seeds, sea salt, minced garlic, and a splash of "Red Boat" fish sauce.

Next, we had Kimchijeon (Korean Kimchi Pancakes): live kimchi and its juice, all purpose flour, rice flour, salt, chopped scallions, prepared as crispy pancakes.

Finally, for the piece de resistance, I prepared Sriracha Honey Lime Duck Legs: obviously, sriracha, honey, lime juice, and soy sauce applied to duck legs that had been slow roasted, in confit style.

To wash it all down, a nice vodka and pink grapefruit juice.

This dinner was definitely worth the effort. Each bite was a veritable explosion of flavors, that all went together, as if they were intended to do so :thumbsup:.

IMG_1824.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG

IMG_1825.JPG

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
All three racks were given my dry rub then baked for two hours in a tented baking dish then two racks get Baby Rays regular BBQ sauce and the dry rub rack gets basted with the pan drippings as the finish in the BBQ where I put hickory and cherry wood chips on top of the infrared element.

IMG_8249.JPG

Thanks

Eric

All three racks were given my dry rub then baked for two hours in a tented baking dish then two racks get Baby Rays regular BBQ sauce and the dry rub rack gets basted with the pan drippings as the finish in the BBQ where I put hickory and cherry wood chips on top of the infrared element.

View attachment 960829

Thanks

Eric
Looks tasty!

Day 3 dinner(Saturday) for the holiday weekend grill/bbq 'meat fest'

Fresh wild Sockeye salmon fillets with a dash of cajun seasoning, then grilled.

Steamed Jonah crab claws.

A veggie medley of baby onions, red bell pepper, zucchini, and yellow squash drizzled with olive oil and grilled.

Wild Rice.

Red Lobster biscuits (from the mix).

7-2-17-Salmon-Dinner.jpg

I did ribs too but my drippins went on the Velveeta shells n cheese. Slightly undersized pasta portion so it was extra cheesy son.

I have baby backs slow cooking on the grill now. The 4th is at my house this year. My small town of 6000 is not having fireworks this year due to gang activity. They waited till yesterday to announce this.

Back
Top Bottom