Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

nice looking jerk chicken there, Jim. I am a big fan of Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning, I mix a tablespoon up with some olive oil and slather on shrimp. chiken, or pork chops. Mighty tasty. It has plenty of giddy-up and the best flavor profile of any jerk mixture I have tried. Get this one, better to control the heat than the pre mixed.
View attachment 1013376
Walkerswood is very good stuff. Next time you get some, try cutting it 60/40 balsamic vinegar, instead of olive oil. I make my own Jerk paste and cut it like that. You are right tough, it is killer on shrimp. Stir fried or grilled.

Phở (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)

One of my best friends in the world is a refugee from Laos, via Thailand. He and his wife crossed the Mekong shortly after the US pulled out of 'Nam. We have been friends since 1980. I have eaten Phở at his house many times, and have been tuning up my recipe for years. Last evening, we had them over, to sample my Phở. Needless to say, I was quite intimidated, knowing how finely tuned his tastes are for SE Asian food. If it is not right, he will certainly speak right up. It took a long time for him to put his stamp of approval on our Chicken Pad Thai.

There is alot of goodies in Phở. You can find my ingredient list up-thread. But, the magic is in the broth. Mine takes over 20 hours to make. My friend is frustrated with me, regarding the effort that goes into my Phở. Neither of us use ANY MSG. The difference between our recipes is in the spices used, the amounts of each, and in the fact that I start by simmering bones and tendons for 12 hours, before I add brisket and oxtails. He only uses ox tails and brisket.

Bottom line: My broth tastes different, but authentic, and excellent. My overall grade from my teacher: a solid A. I can't tell you what that means to me.

Pho_1.JPG

Pho_2.JPG

Pho_3.JPG

Pho_4.JPG

Enjoy,
Rich P

I ❤️ Pho and Banh Mi. I'll call it a draw between lumpia and Vietnamese egg rolls. I'm fortunate to live a couple miles from the heart of New Saigon. You're pho looks great. Make mine rare steak noodle please.

I ❤️ Pho and Banh Mi. I'll call it a draw between lumpia and Vietnamese egg rolls. I'm fortunate to live a couple miles from the heart of New Saigon. You're pho looks great. Make mine rare steak noodle please.
Three of us had it with the works, and that means "a little bit country." We like it with stuff in it that my wife just can not wrap her sensibilities around: tendon, tripe, marrow, bone connective tissue, Vietnamese beef balls, in addition to the thin-sliced rib eye, ox tails and brisket. She also does not like it hot, but Thai dragons, jalapenos, and sriracha complement the other condiments and leaves etc. Here is what we did with the left-overs, tonight. My bride likes more basil and mint. I like more MEAT!

When I drop in to our local Asian grocery store, to buy what I need to make Phở, I always raise the eyebrows of the Vietnamese butchers, when I buy all the "good stuff" that I listed above. Normally they don't see folks like me buy stuff like that. They really freak when they find out that I am making Phở. "YOU make Phở?" "Oh yes...the best." Then they call others over to tell them. One guy says I look like Ho Chi Minh. I have decided that he means to complement me, so I respond accordingly.

Pho_22.JPG

Pho_21.JPG

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
I have that same cast iron griddle on my grill. I use it mainly for fish and shrimp, with an occasional blackend steak thrown on there. That would be for the flat side.

Sorry if snacks don't qualify. They might be dinner on game day with sufficient liquid backing.

Formed jalapeno poppers

Cream cheese
Chopped jalapenos
Real bacon bits
Shredded sharp cheddar
Tablespoon of chili garlic sauce

Made up the filling then chilled it. When firmed again, rolled it into form then chilled again.

Coated 3x with a dry rest between. First milk and flour, then twice with milk and panko.

Going to freeze them then deep fry tomorrow.

20170930_115256.jpg

That sounds interesting.

Well I just threw me some beef ribs in the oven. Just text my GF,on this. I'm sure I will see her later.

I have that same cast iron griddle on my grill. I use it mainly for fish and shrimp, with an occasional blackend steak thrown on there. That would be for the flat side.
I use the ribbed side when I marinate with my Wingata seasoning and L&P. The sugars in the L&P burn too much for the flat side. Wingata is my dad's secret recipe which was part of my inheritance along with his jazz collection and arthritis

I brush the steak with butter and pat on Paul Prudones steak blackening rub. Then throw it on the smoldering flat side. About 2 or 3 on each side and then place on the off end of the grill with the top down to finish up. That reminds me. The fresh market has whole beef tender loins on sale this weekend for $9.99 a lb. I need to go get one tomorrow.

Asian Fusion Night

I decided to experiment with what my guts tells me will go together.

First, Sukiyaki, done in caste iron skillets. You can find the ingredient list up-thread.

Next, Kongnamul (Korean Bean Sprout Salad). You can find the ingredient list up-thread.

Finally, an improvised fried rice: jasmine rice from the other day, Japanese shishito (lion head) peppers, eggs, sliced scallions, shiitake mushroom bits, fried in peanut oil.

Dinner.jpg

Soup.JPG

Salad.jpg

Dessert.jpg

Enjoy,
Rich P

This week's best:

Leftover pork roast hash with eggs, and pickled beetroot

Duck confit sandwich

I had some bread and mayo left from Duck Day, som I made a panini for lunch yesterday - Morbier cheese, and Parma ham

Back
Top Bottom