Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Phở Bò (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)

After over 28 hours of simmering and prep, dinner is served. Mine tends to the style of southern Vietnam, with a couple of tweaks here and there.

First. beef knuckle and marrow bones are simmered clean. Then, the bones are removed, solids are put away for later, and ox tails and brisket are added and simmered until well tender. Then the brisket is removed, cooled and sliced thin, and the oxtails are put away for later. The fat is then carefully skimmed off and put away for use in cooking other goodies, like tacos, and other things. Once the fat has been removed, onion, shallots and ginger are are broiled to a nice caramelization with some char, then these are added to the broth. Finally, the spices are added: cloves, star anise, Vietnamese cinnamon, black cardamom, whole black peppercorns, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, Vietnamese fish sauce (Red Boat), and Vietnamese yellow rock sugar.

At serving time, mung bean sprouts and special rice noodles are added to the broth, and one has the following optional ingredients to choose from: solids from the bone simmer, sliced tendon, ox tail, sliced brisket, tripe, and Vietnamese beef meatballs. The hot broth is poured over raw, shaved rib steak and cooked in the bowl.

To customize to taste, the following garnishes are available: scallion sections, thin slices of red onion and shallot, lime wedges, Thai basil, Thai dragon peppers, cilantro, mint, Sriracha, and Hoisin sauce. Your bowl is your very own.

View attachment 1079760

View attachment 1079761

View attachment 1079762

Enjoy,
Rich P
That looks soooo good!

70° at the beach today in NorCal. Picked some mussels. That's a 5 gallon bucket. My friend made Curry Sauce with curry, coconut milk, garlic, fish sauce, sweet Thai basil, cilantro and peppers.
I........hate......you:mad:

Nothing personal of course, just jealousy kicking in.
I'm sittin' at home with a balmy 7 degrees outside eating chicken nuggets:rolleyes:
Beleive it or not it was in the 50's at noon yesterday.

I would soooooooo love to be diggin' into that BTW.
images

Last edited:
I........hate......you:mad:

Nothing personal of course, just jealousy kicking in.
I'm sittin' at home with a balmy 7 degrees outside eating chicken nuggets:rolleyes:
Beleive it or not it was in the 50's at noon yesterday.

I would soooooooo love to be diggin' into that BTW.
images
It's ok, I understand. My daughter lives in NYC. It's was the first time ever that it wasn't cold, grey and windy. The weather was unusually crazy nice, here. The mussels were good too. There are gazillions and not many take time to collect them. Stay warm!

Five-Spice Roast Duck

The Chinese section of my repertoire is kind of scant. I am feeling rather adventurous, so...

First, Garlic-Ginger Mushrooms: sliced crimini mushrooms, sesame oil, chopped garlic, minced ginger, chopped scallions, Chinese black soy sauce, Korean gochujang (red chili paste), fresh-gound black pepper, Sichuan pepper, vegetable stock, corn starch & water, rice vinegar, rice wine, sugar, and salt.

Next, Cantonese Soy Sauce Pan-fried Noodles: Hong Kong style egg noodles, bean sprouts, julienne'd scallions, Chinese black soy sauce, mushroom infused soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, sugar, rice wine, and white pepper.

Finally, Five-Spice Roast Duck: duck legs, roasted on a bed of scallions, and coated in a sauce consisting of Chinese black soy sauce, honey, five-spice powder, Korean gochugaru (red pepper flakes) and fresh-ground black pepper,

Dinner.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Exotic Soup and Sandwich

Sometimes a nice meal is sparked from weird places. This one is no exception. A friend gave us some leeks, and I walked by them on the table for a couple days. Let's just say that they bugged me. My beloved bride made a soup base, consisting of leeks, water and potatoes. Finally, I gave in and completely ad lib'd a meal to incorporate the base she started. I made all of this up on the fly, building as I wandered around the kitchen, seeing what I had...

First a nice Leek and Potato Soup: sliced leeks, cubed russet potatoes, vegetable broth, sweet corn (cut from the cob), sliced purple carrots, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, fresh-ground black pepper, and caraway seeds. This was garnished with freshly chopped parsley and sunflower seeds.

Finally, a nice sandwich: fresh slices of white sourdough bread slathered with spiced duck fat from our 5-spice duck legs (see up thread) and grilled, and a sauteed combination of shaved roast London Broil, thin-sliced shallots, sliced white button mushrooms, sliced black olives, fire-roasted red bell pepper, rice wine vinegar, chiffonade of fresh basil from the back yard, sea salt, fresh-ground black pepper, toasted and crushed sesame seeds, and black mustard seeds.

Dinner.jpeg

Soup.jpeg

Sandwich.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Finally, a nice sandwich: fresh slices of white sourdough bread slathered with spiced duck fat from our 5-spice duck legs...
Very nice.
More people need to save fat from cooking, especially fat from duck and pork. Supposed to be good for you or not as harmful as some people think.

Greek Fast Food

Perusing the freezer of my local Middle Eastern grocer, I found some nice gyro meat next to the beef bacon that I went in for. I took it and started hankerin' for a nice gyro sandwich.

First, some nice spanakopita (spinach pies): phillo sheets, butter, baby spinach, Israeli feta, nutmeg, sea salt, and black pepper.

Next, some nice roasted lemon potatoes: wedges of Russet potatoes, garlic, kalamata olive oil, oregano, meyer lemon (from the tree in the back yard), semolina flour, sea salt, black pepper.

Next, Gyro sandwiches: Greek pita (thicker and softer), thin-sliced gyro meat (beef and lamb), sliced red onions, cubed eclipse tomatoes, diced fire-roasted red bell peppers, and tzatziki sauce (Trader Joes).

There was some nice Sabra hummus to dip any extra pita in.

Finally, for dessert, galaktoboureko (semolina custard in filo): From the neighborhood Middle Eastern grocer.

Dinner.jpeg

Open.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
IMG_0828.JPG
Bacon wrapped chicken livers with a coat of Carolina treet BBQ sauce. Sprinkled on some of my hot sauce and a side of fries and dinner is ready. The foil has extra livers with a thin vinegar sauce. That's for munching on later.
Just put a chicken liver in a half a slice of thin bacon. Brush on the carolina treet. Other sauces will do. Baked at 350° for 30 min, then put on roast for 15.

IMG_0832.JPG IMG_0836.JPG IMG_0845.JPG

Lunch today. 1st pic is me putting it on yesterday at 4 in the evening. 2nd pic is me flipping it at 9, and adding pellets to the tube. Hit an internal temp of 197° at 5 in the morning. Wrapped them both in foil and let sit in a cooler till 11. This is the shoulder on the chopping block, with the butt next. Had a pile of bark with some string beans and corn for lunch.

My son and his GF made us dinner tonight and it was a real treat. 3 cheese tortelloni stuffed with chicken and garlic. Cooked in garlic, olive oil, oregano and merlot. Covered in vodka sauce with tomatoes, shredded sweet Italian sausage and heavy cream. Topped with parmesan cheese and Italian bread on the side. I'm crawling towards my rocker recliner after finishing seconds.

001.JPG

My son and his GF made us dinner tonight and it was a real treat. 3 cheese tortelloni stuffed with chicken and garlic. Cooked in garlic, olive oil, oregano and merlot. Covered in vodka sauce with tomatoes, shredded sweet Italian sausage and heavy cream. Topped with parmesan cheese and Italian bread on the side. I'm crawling towards my rocker recliner after finishing seconds.

View attachment 1100495

That looks tasty!

-Dave

Love the Sunday Supper photos.

Tonight, mustard seed rubbed pork roast, with a mushroom shallot gravy and fingerling potatoes. Paired with a delicious local German 2-row pilsner malt

Last edited:
Steak Dinner

My beloved is away on vacation with her daughter. I am on my own, but I refused to let it get me down...too late. Anyway...I decided to treat myself, and medicate away my loneliness with food.

First, some nice mashed sweet potatoes, drowning in butter.

Next, leaves of fresh basil.

Next, corn on the cob, also having trouble keeping its nose above the butter.

Next, broiled slabs of zucchini, dusted with garlic powder, basil, oregano, red bell pepper, garlic, thyme, fennel, black pepper, anise, salt, kalamata olive oil, and a special gourmet balsamic vinegar (Alfonso Gourmet Traditional)

Finally, a nice, broiled to perfection, rib steak, rubbed with salt, black pepper, sugar, garlic, onion, lemon, and just a smidge of hickory smoke.

Folks, I can't tell you just how good this was. A very small, hidden part of me was glad I did not have to share this with ANYONE.

Dinner.JPG

Enjoy,
Rich P

Steak Dinner

My beloved is away on vacation with her daughter. I am on my own, but I refused to let it get me down...too late. Anyway...I decided to treat myself, and medicate away my loneliness with food.

First, some nice mashed sweet potatoes, drowning in butter.

Next, leaves of fresh basil.

Next, corn on the cob, also having trouble keeping its nose above the butter.

Next, broiled slabs of zucchini, dusted with garlic powder, basil, oregano, red bell pepper, garlic, thyme, fennel, black pepper, anise, salt, kalamata olive oil, and a special gourmet balsamic vinegar (Alfonso Gourmet Traditional)

Finally, a nice, broiled to perfection, rib steak, rubbed with salt, black pepper, sugar, garlic, onion, lemon, and just a smidge of hickory smoke.

Folks, I can't tell you just how good this was. A very small, hidden part of me was glad I did not have to share this with ANYONE.

View attachment 1100734

Enjoy,
Rich P

Save me some, I'll be right over!

Back
Top Bottom