Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Soup and Sandwich

Sometimes light and simple is best. Tonight, it is a nice sandwich, made of a kaiser roll with Boar's Head honey smoked turkey and baby Swiss, brown Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, sliced tomato, and baby spring greens. This was served with a nice, home-made cream of potato soup. This was washed down with an ice cold bottle of Samuel Adams Octoberfest.

Dinner.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Soup.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Cornish Game Hen a L’Orange

We had some of the orange sauce left after having duck. It was so good I wanted to keep it and enjoy it again. This time we used similar cooking methods and ingredients, but made a game hen instead of a duck. It turned out quite nice.

The game hen was rubbed with salt, fresh-ground coriander seeds, fresh-ground cumin seeds, fresh-ground black pepper, thyme, marjoram, and parsley. Then she was roasted in a bed of orange wedges, orange juice, onion wedges, cubes of carrot, white wine (Chardonnay), chicken bone broth, and chopped celeriac (celery root). She was of course served with the retained duck sauce from a previous meal: the juices from the duck roasting, fresh-squeezed orange juice, white-wine vinegar, sea salt, chicken bone broth, butter, wheat flour, and julienne'd orange zest.

This was served with buttered peas and old fashioned kluski (Polish noodles) with butter and parsley.

Dinner.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Birria and More

There is nice little hole in the wall around here that serves birria tacos as a specialty. I did not know what all went into making birria. All I knew is that I really liked it. I got the urge the other day to find out how to make it, and, once I saw the recipe, I had to try it. It is a dish from Jalisco, Mexico, and can be served as a sort of stew or in a slightly drier form, as a sort of shredded and bar-b-cued meat. In either case, it takes a long time to make, which appears to be my specialty.

First, a nice cabbage salad that my wife tasted out the recipe for, from a local hot spot (Chuy's): shredded green and purple cabbage, diced Roma tomatoes, fresh chopped cilantro, red wine vinegar, sea salt, fresh-ground black pepper, sugar, and powdered cumin.

Next, crispy tortilla chips, served with a couple of jar'd salsas and home-made guacamole: diced avocados, sliced scallions, diced tomatoes, sea salt, fresh-ground black pepper, powdered Thai chiles, and fresh-squeezed lime juice.

Finally, the birria: ox tails and beef cheeks, sauteed and braised in a special sauce (sea salt, fresh-ground black pepper, dried ancho and guajillo peppers, fire roasted tomatoes, cloves, cumin seeds, Mexican oregano, marjoram, roasted onion and garlic, Mexican cinnamon, and white vinegar. The meat is marinaded in the sauce overnight, then braised in the oven for 5 hours or so. The results were fork-pulled and served over boiled potatoes and yellow carrots, with hot white corn tortillas, and garnished with sliced red radishes, lime wedges, diced white onion, and fresh cilantro.

Of course, I had to wash all of this down with a nice Sam Adams Oktoberfest.

Dinner.jpeg

Salad.jpeg

Dip.jpeg

Garnishes.jpeg

Close 2.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Looks terrific Rich. Around here I’ve always found Birria made with goat and it’s the stewed variety. I’ve heard of the dryer version, but haven’t seen it. Of course goat is a bit greasy, which is to be expected when the best I’ve had was from a permanent (on blocks) food truck in front of wrecking yard in east LA. Well at least they said it was goat. :D

To make the stew-like variety, all I need to do is add some beef broth. This is really just a bit concentrated. I only added enough liquid during cooking to keep the pot contents from burning over the long cooking period, in a Dutch oven in the 350 deg oven.

I now have single servings in zip-lock bags in the freezer.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Tonight I made braised beef short ribs, cast iron grilled asparagus and wild rice. Braise is Better than Bullion base, water and some tomato juice. Ribs were bedded on the holy trinity with some chopped garlic. Salt, pepper and a dash of L&P. Browned and then braised in a cast iron Dutch oven at 325 for 2:30.
CC42D1BD-8A46-4704-BBDA-B8115E3CDD90.jpeg

Chicken Skewers & Fried Rice

First, some nice edamame (young soy bean pods, blanched and salted).

Next, some of the cuff fried rice: leftover rice, peanuts, mini-sweet peppers (red and orange), beef bacon (Brother and Sister brand), sliced scallions, scrambled egg (from the girls out back), toasted and crushed sesame seeds, gochgaru (Korean red pepper flakes), fresh-ground black pepper, sliced brown mushrooms, mushroom-infused soy sauce, and Vietnamese fish sauce.

Finally, chicken thigh meat, marinaded in Soy Vay teriyaki sauce, skewered and caramelized under the broiler.

This was washed down with an ice cold Stella.

Sometimes simple is just right.

Dinner.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom