Show us your equalizer

Not in the system at the moment, but I do have a couple EQs.

Not the actual units...

Numark EQ-2600

s-l1000.jpg

MXR Model 114

mxr_stereo_graphic_equalizer_114_6869_res.jpg

Here's another I also use... Yes, it is pro gear, but I have it mixed in with home audio gear too... Great EQ..

6365.jpg

Got one of these when I was young/dumb and catalogs the likes of DAK, Sharper Image, J&R Music, Radio Shack, etc. held a lot of Christmas wishes:

bsrEQ3K.jpg

But I use these types more:

XTrack_EQ_3.jpg

Jriver%2520audio%2520DSP%2520settings.png

Am I the only one using a third-octave EQ?? Not a critical difference because of the way I use it (Fletcher Munson "loudness" compensation) but just curious.

A few years ago I had an Art Audio XL231 but sold it due to relocating. A decent EQ with the JBL SR4725X's and QSC amps I had then.

Using Soundcraftsmen RP-2215R now. It's a quiet EQ and high S/N but I do miss 31 bands and slope choices.

xl231_front_lg.jpg

Last edited:
ToniCH said:
Sansui SE-7 with matching knobs to Sansui AU-9900 etc.
2popovq.jpg

And another one matching the AU-717:
xbejgw.jpg
I'm really liking those ^^^^ Sansui EQ's & systems.

Bought a second rack mount Nikko EQ1 hoping to use it with my Sansui AU/TU-217 (w/rack handles) but turns out the RH channel is DOA for some reason so I'll hafta look into fixing that EQ now.

Upside is the Sansui components sounded great with the Parasound F210s filling in for EQ duty to test it out and make sure nothing was wrong with the Sansui AU-217 integrated amp,and I did'nt even gag @ the contrasting silver face EQ & the all black Sansui components,it actually looked pretty good too.

The real prize EQ is on it's way here now,and to be completely honest I'm super nervous about that one making it here in good shape.

Bought a Numark off the auction site,one slider was DOA so it went back.

Really like that Soundcraftsmen Pro EQ 44 too.

As for the third octave EQ's,I've thought about using one/some,but not all of them lend themselves to use in the typical home systems that use only RCA connectors,as many of those EQ's use 1/4" or XLR connectors as SOP.

The ART pro style EQ's usually have RCA ins & outs though,and yeah that's what almost found it's way into my rack enclosure system,but then I came across that Nikko EQ1 and I changed my mind as that just seemed to "fit" better with the other gear being used in that set-up.

Anyhow,I'm really digging this thread,keep 'em coming.

Bret P.

These are what I went through before I finally found one that works ...

eq-stack-001.jpg

Another stack somewhere around here ...

Oh, yeah ... what works!

eq-amp-sacd.jpg

I've also got a McIntosh MQ-104 "environmental equalizer". I've still got the complete box set of capacitors for it too ... a bit of a rarity!

513026-mcintosh_mq104_equilizer.jpg

Not currently using the notch filters on that ... just the low frequency compensation section, which is pretty much required with my speakers. The Technics SH9010 does an admirable job of matching the room all on it's own, but the plan is to transfer some of the primary filters from that to the MC104 and open up some slots in that to play with and fine tune the system ...

PS ... I've said it before, I'll say it again ... ANY equalizer is next best thing to useless if you depend on the ear alone to tune things up. You really really need to do some frequency sweeps to get it right AND give your ears time to adjust to the "new" sound. You can put together a relatively inexpensive test system by adding an ADC and mixer to a laptop and getting a calibrated mike to voice the room. Room EQ Wizard (REW) is FREEWARE, and real hard to beat!

Even got the complete box of caps for the notch filters! Those are rare!

Well,my new prize EQ arrived in perfect shape so now I can go ahead and post the pic worry free,LOL.

Here it is,a Rotel RE-2000,this will now be the primary EQ for my vintage Kenwood silverface system,and the ADC SS-10 gets relegated to back-up duty along with the Parasound F210s and Soundcraftsmen 20-12A,but that's OK because I have a silverface Teac A-1D integrated amp on the way,though I'm not even sure if I can EQ that one just yet (pretty sure I can but till I get it here cant be 100% sure).

Anyhow,the pic (another ad pic,I'm being lazy today)

Rotel RE2000 EQ full frontal.jpg

This is a super nice EQ IMHO.

Bret P.

I used to think you needed a 54 band per channel EQ... and then I started running without one for a while, and I really liked it.

The unit I used for 20 years or so was this Yamaha guy- I bought it with my first system when I was stationed in Panama. I haven't been using it for the past 4-5 years though:

For the past 4-5 years I've been using this Soundcraftsmen that was gifted to me.

Don't know why I bought this. In the earlier day's, I was always an ADC fan. I had their ten band EQ when I was 15, back in 1980. Just arrived 3 days ago and am very impressed with it's build quality. it's over fifteen pounds and uses mylar caps. It won't be touching my reference system, but I'll be having fun with it with my other vintage gear. If I ever get around to them.IMG_5620.JPG IMG_5619.JPG IMG_5624.JPG IMG_5620.JPG IMG_5619.JPG IMG_5624.JPG

No AudioControl love yet!
Model C22 I bought new in 1980 while in college. Rotates in and out with SX950 and L810's or Monitor 10's.View attachment 633633
20171028_175523.jpg

AudioControl C22
ADC Sound Shaper Thirty Three
20171114_172127.jpg
Pioneer SG-550 (recently sold)

(newest member of the family that I'm trying out.....really liking it):

Behringer DSP 8024.....20171217_113633.jpg
Cant help but enjoy all the control you have with this one.

Back
Top Bottom