Show us your Technics stuff

Very nice!

Well, should you ever want to 'thin the herd' for any reason, please PM me!
I am also in the market for an EPA 100 should yo have a spare kicking around somewhere...
:thumbsup:

I lent the spare one to a friend, hopefully he’ll put it to good use soon!

@jungles you’re off n cracking with that system... the A5 is a solid amp... SB-10 would be nice... kinda hard to come across, then there’s $hipping
Thanks SV!
I have learned a ton about the various circuits and gear over the past few years by reading posts from you, Synchrobias and Macphantom in particular, as well as others.
Nice to find folks who share my Matsushita passion...

Yeah the SB-10s are a bit of a white whale, but who knows, maybe someday!
I'm also intrigued by the horn-loaded speakers from around that era - with the SB-10000 being the top end...
I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of these SB-E200's a year or so ago...
Any experience with that series?
image.jpeg

@jungles: awesome system you've got! The SP-15 would have been my dream turntable once, but I've got an SL-1310MK2 instead, which is fine as well.

The SB-10 are a perfect match for the big powerhouses of the 1980s.
Here's my pair with my SE-A3 and SU-A4:

@JP: amazing SP-10MK3!
Thanks Macphantom - your knowledge and experience with Technics gear has definitely been an inspiration to me as I decided what to put into the system so far...

I think your 1310 has the same speed control as the sp-15, as well as very similar drive system.
I know you were looking for a color match as well, so that, combined with the full-auto ease-of-use makes for a 'new dream' I'm sure!
I can only imagine how good that setup must sound with the mighty A-3 and the SB-10's...
:king:

Thanks! Indeed the sound coming from the SB-10 is amazing. Extremely deep bass and of course magnificent treble with those tweeters. The A3 just means that there's more than enough power to drive the pair. The European SB-10 are not very loud (SPL at 87dB/(Wm) vs. 91 in the Japanese market), but they surely sound amazing.
Lows are actually lower than the SB-M2 if I recall correctly.

Correct, the 1310MK2 uses the same digital pitch control. A very impressive feature, although I don't really use it for my home hifi applications. I've always had a soft spot for fully automatic turntables, so I just had to get the 1310MK2. Thanks to a company offering a 3D-print of the usual point of failure in these series—a plastic tonearm part—it's fully working as well now.

And now for something very old: the setup I use at my current living place. Dating from the debuts of Matsushita in Europe: 1972.
SU-3600 and ST-3600:

Beautiful piece, MacPhantom ! And great photography !
Interesting that ST-3600 and SU-3600 makes a matched set, and yet one is badged National Panasonic, and the other Technics....
Greetings from Wallis !

Thanks!

This was back when Matsushita itself wasn't sure how to label their products. In any case, they were sold in Japan for an unusually long time (1970-1973), and they remained the top end back then, apart from the extra-rare SU-/SE-10000.
As a matter of fact, the family around these stunningly looking devices consisted of the following members:
  • Amp: SU-3600, badged as "Technics" with the "National" logo (Europe), "Technics" without it (Japan), and "National Panasonic" with the logo (also Europe; see mine).
  • Successor amp: SU-3602 (not kidding). This model had an improved output stage, an additional tape monitor, and a volume pre-set, but lacked the adjustable inputs as well as the muting function the SU-3600 has. This one came with the "Technics" font either with or without the logo.
  • Partially CD-4 capable version: SU-3604. This one, oddly, came only branded as "Panasonic".
  • Tuner: there was only the ST-3600, but this came in all brandings: "National Panasonic" (with logo), "Technics" (with or without it), and "Panasonic" (to match the SU-3604). Interesting story from an insider: it is well known that early Matsushita tuners and receivers had the tuner circuitry designed by Luxman. I always thought this applied only to the models of the 1960s, such as the SA-54. However, the guts of the ST-3600 are actually also designed by Luxman. Very, very interesting.
Needless to say I'm in love with the two I have. I've been looking for the amp alone for years and even considered importing one from Japan. Never would I have thought that I'd stumble across the amp *and* the matching (ultra-rare!) tuner in the area!

Now I'm looking for a decent set of speakers to complete the duo. I was thinking of something from their time, such as the SB-400, SB-500, SB-501, or even SB-1000 (if I ever find a pair for sale).

Thanks!

This was back when Matsushita itself wasn't sure how to label their products. In any case, they were sold in Japan for an unusually long time (1970-1973), and they remained the top end back then, apart from the extra-rare SU-/SE-10000.
As a matter of fact, the family around these stunningly looking devices consisted of the following members:
  • Amp: SU-3600, badged as "Technics" with the "National" logo (Europe), "Technics" without it (Japan), and "National Panasonic" with the logo (also Europe; see mine).
  • Successor amp: SU-3602 (not kidding). This model had an improved output stage, an additional tape monitor, and a volume pre-set, but lacked the adjustable inputs as well as the muting function the SU-3600 has. This one came with the "Technics" font either with or without the logo.
  • Partially CD-4 capable version: SU-3604. This one, oddly, came only branded as "Panasonic".
  • Tuner: there was only the ST-3600, but this came in all brandings: "National Panasonic" (with logo), "Technics" (with or without it), and "Panasonic" (to match the SU-3604). Interesting story from an insider: it is well known that early Matsushita tuners and receivers had the tuner circuitry designed by Luxman. I always thought this applied only to the models of the 1960s, such as the SA-54. However, the guts of the ST-3600 are actually also designed by Luxman. Very, very interesting.
Needless to say I'm in love with the two I have. I've been looking for the amp alone for years and even considered importing one from Japan. Never would I have thought that I'd stumble across the amp *and* the matching (ultra-rare!) tuner in the area!

Now I'm looking for a decent set of speakers to complete the duo. I was thinking of something from their time, such as the SB-400, SB-500, SB-501, or even SB-1000 (if I ever find a pair for sale).
Really beautiful gear MacPhantom!

I hope you find some period-correct speakers to mate with them...- I would magne they would sound sublime, as -if I recall correctly- the whole initial purpose of the Technics brand was to market high-end speakers for Matsushita, was it not?

A friend of mine knew a guy that had spent military time in Europe in the 70s. While over there probably around the late 70s he bought these Technics separates. When he got done with duty he packed them back up and brought them home the the US. The guy passed away recently and his SO decided that all of this stuff was only good for the dumpster. My friend not having a clue about vintage audio saved it. A little dealing later and it is mine. This equipment is the black face European style and is dual voltage. It has the Euro plugins so I had to buy the converters and will have to swap the taps over. A broken foot has kept me from bringing this stuff into the light. It even came with three sets of unopened rack handles :D.
List of goods are
SU-9011K -preamp
ST-9031K - tuner
SL-1910 - TT
SE-9021K - power amp
RS-673 - tape deck
SH-202K - rack handles

20171106_201306.jpg

Humongous score. Can't wait to see it all set up!

I wonder how a 1910 is different from a 1900, given that the 1900 is all black too.

Interesting to see the 1910 has the FEE indication (military shops) on the box!

Nice set of equipment too!

Thanks!

Super! I do wonder where you got all that knowledge from! And a marvelous set in great design too.

Last edited:
A friend of mine knew a guy that had spent military time in Europe in the 70s. While over there probably around the late 70s he bought these Technics separates. When he got done with duty he packed them back up and brought them home the the US. The guy passed away recently and his SO decided that all of this stuff was only good for the dumpster. My friend not having a clue about vintage audio saved it. A little dealing later and it is mine. This equipment is the black face European style and is dual voltage. It has the Euro plugins so I had to buy the converters and will have to swap the taps over. A broken foot has kept me from bringing this stuff into the light. It even came with three sets of unopened rack handles :D.
List of goods are
SU-9011K -preamp
ST-9031K - tuner
SL-1910 - TT
SE-9021K - power amp
RS-673 - tape deck
SH-202K - rack handles

View attachment 1040449
Amazing stuff Kirkendoll!

I can't wait to see what it looks like out of the boxes...
:lurk:

3SETP2m.jpg

Back
Top Bottom