Show your headphone amplifier

It's a Magnavox FD-1000, which is a rebranded Philips CD-100. Found it at a hamfest several years ago for all of $10. :biggrin: The CDM0 transport still works fairly well, though it can be balky with CD-Rs, and it sounds pretty good. Some of the markings are worn off around the buttons, but it's in decent shape otherwise.
-Adam
Good op amps in those. I think these can still be sent off to be repaired and upgraded. I remember running into a site that does work on them awhile back. They were branded Marantz as well. I would have one except they get top dollar and then you may need servicing. Nice score!

IMG_20181015_081800-4116x3084.jpg

Using the above at work to feed AKG K712 Pro headphones (made in Austria). Sounds rather spectacular.

MS Audio Silver USB cable > S.M.S.L Sanskrit PRO-B > Neotech UPOCC IC > Boyuu Reisong 1:2 SUT > Litz UPOCC > Darkvoice 336SE OTL headphone amp (Melz 6H8C hole plate tube + RCA 6AS7G tubes)

I've since Monoprice Monolith M1060C planar headphones on the way for home.

Interesting setup. 1st I've seen of using an SUT this way. Please post your impressions of the M1060C's when you get them. I haven't seen another pair mentioned here. They are very efficient. I don't get them much past 9 o'clock on my Schiit Lyr and the FiiO Q1 has no problem driving them either.

Yes, I intend to use them from my computers inbuilt sound card (for gaming) at home. Won't really see a huge amount of use.

They'll be a while as I needed to order sent to another Stereonet member in the US as the seller wouldn't ship to Australia. I'll have them eventually :)

Last edited:
Hi all
I was just looking and couldn't find a thread where we have pictures of everyone's dedicated headphone amplifiers.
Please show them all. Here's mine now fitted with Russian tubes set up with a sony CD player.
View attachment 986070
On it's own
View attachment 986072

Hey, I got one of those :beerchug:. With Amperex tubes and LM4562 Op-amps it sounds very good. It's good enough that I can hear the differences in source to amp & amp to headphone cables :music:

Hey, I got one of those :beerchug:. With Amperex tubes and LM4562 Op-amps it sounds very good. It's good enough that I can hear the differences in source to amp & amp to headphone cables :music:
I just had to replace the volume pot in mine as it had an imbalance but it is good as gold now.
Ive been thinking of rolling the op-amps in mine now its done ill have to look in to lm4562.
Ive got the Russian 6j9p-e in mine at the moment. They are very solid tubes with hardly any microphonic's at all and they have a nice tone.
Ive been looking into buying a pair of mullard e180f to try in it but there seems to be a few good tubes out there for it.
Iv noticed the new version use's the 6j3 and there doesn't seem to be many options in those compared to the 6j9.
Here's a pic of it with the new pot an heatsink
20181029_092354.jpg

Last edited:
I just use a surplus Crown D75.
That crown looks really nice :thumbsup: i haven't seen a lot of crown gear in the uk.
My main amp is a yamaha as-500.
It does a really good job with my jvc HA-RX900 phone's with a massive soundstage. :)

I just had to replace the volume pot in mine as it had an imbalance but it is good as gold now.
Ive been thinking of rolling the op-amps in mine now its done ill have to look in to lm4562.
Ive got the Russian 6j9p-e in mine at the moment. They are very solid tubes with hardly any microphonic's at all and they have a nice tone.
Ive been looking into buying a pair of mullard e180f to try in it but there seems to be a few good tubes out there for it.
Iv noticed the new version use's the 6j3 and there doesn't seem to be many options in those compared to the 6j9.

I think I've seen your posting on Head-Fi. The one I have is one of the newer ones that's the 6J3 version. The Amperex tubes are 6AK5's and I've seen Mullards Russian tubes in that variety too. The great thing about these little amps is the sockets for the Op-amps. Unplug the old, plug in the new. Easy-peasy.

Last edited:
I think I've seen your posting on Head-Fi. The one I have is one of the newer ones that's the 6J3 version. The Amperex tubes are 6AK5's and I've seen Mullards in that variety too. The great thing about these little amps is the sockets for the Op-amps. Unplug the old, plug in the new. Easy-peasy.
Ye i put the heatsink on as there sempt to be a few people mentioned the heat of the amp. To be far mine doesn't get very warm.
How does the new version sound with the 6j3 ?
It would be interesting to be able to compare them.
Ye my next step is the op amps. :thumbsup:

Ye i put the heat-sink on as there seems to be a few people mentioned the heat of the amp. To be fair mine doesn't get very warm.
How does the new version sound with the 6j3 ?
It would be interesting to be able to compare them.
Ye my next step is the op amps. :thumbsup:

The stock Chinese tubes sounded a little too forward in the mids. The Amperex's are better balanced across the frequency range.

Just got one of these little guy's for a relative to run his phone through while he's working.

Lepy-LP-A1-LP-A1-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Audio-Digital-Headphones-Amplifier-2-Channel-Amp.jpg
I've just given it a try and it sound's pretty good. You can also hook up a pair of speakers to it.
It doesn't come with a power supply but even by the time you've got an adapter you got a little amp that sound's better than it should for less than £20. Not bad :music:

Ok, I ended up keeping the M1060C's at work where they'll see more use. Significantly better sound than the AKG K712 Pro's, which were in turn better than the M1060. Go figure right? I think the open backs made them sound muddy with the noisy environment at work though it is strange it didn't affect the AKG's the same way.

I had been using a little hybrid tube headphone amp for some time now. But I found myself using it more as a line stage at my bench for testing. So I rolled the dice on another tube amplifier. This one uses small GE pentodes for output and 6n4's for drivers. The original 6n4 driver sounded a bit harsh. But using a 12AX7 instead made a huge difference. It's also dead quiet without any hum even at full volume. It sounds very balanced top to bottom. I'm glad I bought it before the price shot up. :D

IMG_20181204_163408.jpg

1J3dxrM.jpg
:D

Back
Top Bottom