Show your JBLs off

L250 at the old place. There was a B460 in the middle of the room later and the Velodynes went into various other distributed subwoofer experiments. The room was a narrow 14x25.

View attachment 1421091

I see the lovely JBLs, the wonderful Altec amps, of course the Dynbaco Stereo 70, but what else have we here, and what are those gold pieces on the right? Finally, what is the black preamp that looks suspiciously like a GAS Theadra or Thalia?

The L212, B212 system that came before it.

View attachment 1421189
View attachment 1421191

I was just reminded of one of my favorite L-212 photos:

lightest

I see the lovely JBLs, the wonderful Altec amps, of course the Dynbaco Stereo 70, but what else have we here, and what are those gold pieces on the right? Finally, what is the black preamp that looks suspiciously like a GAS Theadra or Thalia?

The upper brass piece is the Dynaco PAS-2 with orange drops being the only changes. That one still has the vintage tubes in it:music:. The lower two units are Heathkit XO-1 tube crossovers. The Black stuff is a Marantz SC-7 and SM-7.

Edit: There was also a Pioneer CDJ player and XM. The turntable is a basic Sony with a decent AT cartridge. The subs were Velodyne FSR 15?

Last edited:
The upper brass piece is the Dynaco PAS-2 with orange drops being the only changes. That one still has the vintage tubes in it:music:. The lower two units are Heathkit XO-1 tube crossovers. The Black stuff is a Marantz SC-7 and SM-7.

Edit: There was also a Pioneer CDJ player and XM. The turntable is a basic Sony with a decent AT cartridge. The subs were Velodyne FSR 15?

Though I have owned many Dyna Pas 2 and 3 preamps, I did not recognize it from the photos. I was almost certain about the Heaths, but did not know the model. Nice set up.

I missed out on a pair of 4648 cabs., but five of these nice, flyable cabinets were still there. They will have a good home here.

IMG_20190301_141837779.jpg
IMG_20190228_090828661.jpg

upload_2019-3-1_15-39-17.png

Though I have owned many Dyna Pas 2 and 3 preamps, I did not recognize it from the photos. I was almost certain about the Heaths, but did not know the model. Nice set up.

Plenty of music has been through the pas.

upload_2019-3-1_15-42-42.png

I missed out on a pair of 4648 cabs., but five of these nice, flyable cabinets were still there. They will have a good home here.

Flip them upside down and cut in a nice compression driver/waveguide for a nice 2-way...5 gets you a nice home theater system...though you will need a pair of thunderous subs to keep up :rockon:

Flip them upside down and cut in a nice compression driver/waveguide for a nice 2-way...5 gets you a nice home theater system...though you will need a pair of thunderous subs to keep up :rockon:

Dang, that's not a bad idea, Don. I would need to fly them horizontal along the side walls. Maybe a small external waveguide would be decent along the cabinet sides:idea:. There are four 4645 cabinets here that turned out to be a very good fit in stereo LF.

would love to hear L65A and nice collection.

Thanks.

I like the L65As, sound very good on the floor, no need for stands. They're my baby L300s (until I get a nice pair of L300As). I've found that they take a bit of power to wake up, 50 tube watts is plenty though.

Flying through Charlotte tomorrow, one of my favorite airports. Hearing live music in the AA terminal bar is great!

A friend of mine is moving away and downsizing - and although they are the bottom of the line,
I do like the teak cabinets of the 18TI speakers ...
Brought them home yesterday and wiped them down with Howards Orange oil ...
I think they're dedicated to be bedroom speakers!

The deal also included some L20T speakers in horrible cabinets - (honest,
real bad boxes, bashed corners, veneer is peeling, but all drivers work perfectly)
I already have a nice clean pair of L20T speakers behind me in the office, for computer monitors, driven by an Advent 300 receiver.
So I stripped the drivers, crossovers, badges, ports, and connector cups from the beat-to-death L20T cabinets for later use, and put the bad cabinets on the curb for trash pickup tomorrow.

FYI - Not for sale!

JBL-18TI_8564.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom