Shuguang I-25 EL34 HiFi Tube Amp ?

There are not many here that have one. So I doubt you will get any other responses:dunno:. I own 2 been running them hard for the past 3 years and have had zero issues with them. I have the 6CA7 treasue power tubes, and the Mullard's reissue 12AX7's for the preamp side. One amp was running my Hersery3's the other is still running my KG4's I bought a Prima Luna and am running my Hersery's on it now though. Not that I was not happy with the I25. And yes I could live with what I had. Just wanted to test the waters with another amp. The amp IMO is a solid built heavy and durable. I would not hesitate to buy it. I have high efficient speakers, and these amps play plenty loud. On the negative side if you don't have high efficient speakers and you like it loud, these may not be for you. I take it you are to purchase used? If so play before you buy. There are no schematics for this amp and its built in china, so trying to get some one to fix it might be an issue. If you are into tube rolling, and want to change out the power tubes you will be stuck with the El34/6CA7 family power tubes. There is no BIAS to adjust. These are a cathode BIAS amp. Any other questions you might have I can answer so just shoot me a line I'll be happy to answer.:beerchug: 20171125_171241.jpg 20171203_122346.jpg

Thanks, I see that is cd input only and not phono so would I need a pre amp to run a phono?

Thanks,,,how would that works since this amp has a volume control and sort of a pre?

If you're going to go with a dedicated phono preamp the output on the phone preamp is fixed voltage. So you will use the volume control on that power amp. If you have an external preamp with several different inputs and outputs you can use the amp at 3/4 volume and use the preamp as your volume control.

Ok I joined this very small club and bought a very nice Shunguang i25 from a guy in Ill. Now it does not have the original power tubes - it has JJ KT77 power tubes. Any knowledge of these?

Update: I have read some reviews of the JJ KT77's and other similar tubes and they are reviewed very well. The review also tries the Black Treasure tubes and several others that would work in this amp. I will skip the Black Treasures at 100 a pop (unless some kind sole has some used to sell me) and try some of the 25 a pop tubes that are reviewed as almost, very close to, as good.

Here is the review I am referring to: https://blog.thetubestore.com/audiophile-review-el34-family-tube-comparison/

Now I have to find the perfect pre amp tubes for this amp.

Last edited:
:bigok: Whats your thoughts on the amp? I have no knowledge on the KT77 power tubes. lots of good reviews on the 77 series tubes though, from what I have read. What speakers are you driving that amp with?

So far just using it with a cheap cd player and some small bookshelf speakers of unknown brand. Thinking of using my Dynaco Pas 3 pre amp with it for phono. You mentioned that this could be used with the pre amp, if so do I just plug the pre outs into the cd input? As the i25 has the pre also will that work?

The quality is first class and I love the design,,,just got to hook up better equipment to it eventually.

Also, for phono preamp, if you want some tubes in it, Pro-Ject does make a Phono Tube Box DS2 It is a little more than the non-tube version, but the original DS version can be found at discounted prices now.

So far just using it with a cheap cd player and some small bookshelf speakers of unknown brand. Thinking of using my Dynaco Pas 3 pre amp with it for phono. You mentioned that this could be used with the pre amp, if so do I just plug the pre outs into the cd input? As the i25 has the pre also will that work?

The quality is first class and I love the design,,,just got to hook up better equipment to it eventually.

Yes you can just plug that Dynaco into the input on the back of the I25. Just don't max out the I25 volume knob past the 3 oclock position. Won't hurt anything, just you'll hear some hiss at its max setting, when nothing is playing.

JJ KT77 tubes are nice. A very good value. I would not be in a hurry to replace them, thinking that maybe they are a low grade tube. They are a bit brighter on the upper midrange than some other EL34 tubes, but that can be a good thing in some systems.

Is that the Shuguang I-25 that was on Craigslist for a couple of weeks, out of northern Illinois? I noticed that one.

Hi,,,yes it is the one from Craig's List. I thought 300 bucks was a bargain for what it is and I was right,,,great amp, build quality, sound, looks are all top notch.

I want to use a better cd player and do have a Pioneer PD-65 in storage but confused about how to update the signal. I really don't understand Dacs and other addons - do I need one or something to make this a better, updated player?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom