Shure "Hi Track" confusion

kcollins4

Rocking somewhere
Subscriber
After looking around on ebay and other web sites, I'm confused about the term "hi track". Is this a line of carts, or a stylus type? Is it better/worse than a non- hi track type? The stylii that are marked hi track, appear to be on m91ed carts usually. Is this typical? Thanks for any help folks.

It was the nickname for the M91 series. (I believe the V15 at the time was called Super Track.) It was second only to the V15 in the lineup, so it would have been better than any other lower cart at the time, such as the M93, IIRC. The M91 was the predecessor to later carts like the M95, and all the incarnations of the M97. All were second to the prevailing V15 model.

i know this is OLD OLD OLD, but i'm just hooking up my Dual 510 in our living room (wait till my wife comes home) and am wondering what the sylus force should be on this.

i have it set to about 1.3g right now. googling it, it appears to be .75-1.5g, so 1.25-1.30g should be safe.

does that sound right?

The Shure Hi Track carts were their 1st generation high performance carts. The difference was in the stylus - a .03 x .07 micron stylus that sat deeper in the groove. Super Tracks sat in the groove at the same level, but with a Berrylium cantilever, for better trackability. Hyper Elliptical carts were .02 x .07 - sat deeper yet, and required for quad playback - along with the Shibata on the A/T.

The Shure Lineup

The V-15 III Super Track was number one in the lineup.

Next came the "High Track" series carts; The M95ED was #2, second only to the V-15 Type III.

Next came the M91 series, then the M75 series, then the heavy tracking M93 series. That's the end of the "High Track" series.

Note that you could get "High Track" carts with elliptical or spherical styli and in various tracking weight ranges - such as M95ED vs M95EJ, or M91ED vs M91GD and so on.

After that we have the M55 series, M44 series, M7 series and finally the M3D and none of these were considered "High Track" cartridges. This was the lineup in the mid 1970's when Shure ruled supreme.

The M91ED was probably their most poular cart, and it was supplied by many turntable manufacturers as their stock cartridge. In fact, Shure would even sell you an M91ED preloaded headshell for Dual, Garrard Zero series, Miracord and PE turntables. That cart would work very well with almost any arm and sounded quite good - not as good as the M95ED or the V-15 III, but pretty darn good!

ps - I realize that this is an old thread, I just wanted to set the record straight (pun intended).

Last edited:
The Shure Hi Track carts were their 1st generation high performance carts. The difference was in the stylus - a .03 x .07 micron stylus that sat deeper in the groove. Super Tracks sat in the groove at the same level, but with a Berrylium cantilever, for better trackability. Hyper Elliptical carts were .02 x .07 - sat deeper yet, and required for quad playback - along with the Shibata on the A/T.

Hi Track (M91ED, M91E) styli were .2 x .7 mil elliptical.
Super Track (V15 III) styli were originally .2 x 1.5 mil hyperelliptical. Later they added the MR stylus which was .15 x 3 mil.
mil = .001 inch

Any doubts, just check the Shure discontinued stylus chart. It's all in there.

Next came the "High Track" series carts; The M95ED was #2, second only to the V-15 Type III.

Next came the M91 series, then the M75 series, then the heavy tracking M93 series. That's the end of the "High Track" series.
No the Hi Track was the M91ED and M91E. The M95ED was the successor to the M91ED and came at the end of the 70s. It was not concurrent.

No the Hi Track was the M91ED and M91E. The M95ED was the successor to the M91ED and came at the end of the 70s. It was not concurrent.

What he said.....One need only look at the Shure history database to confirm it. It's no longer available on Shure's website but is on several unaffiliated sites. The M95 superseded the M91 as the 2nd best cart series in the Shure line.

Oops! Repeat post. What this forum needs is a good "delete" function.

Last edited:
The first High-Track = High Trackability System Series are 1967:
M 75-6
M 75-G
M-75-E

Ca.1969
M 91-E
M 92 E
M 93 E
Ca.1971/73:
M 75 Typ 2 Series
M 75-6 Typ 2
M 75-G Typ 2
M 75-E Typ 2
M 75-EJ Typ 2
M 75-ED Typ 2
M 75-B Typ2
1973:
M 91-ED
1975:
M 95-EJ
M 95-ED de Luxe
Ca.1978/79:
M 95-HE
M 75-6S
M 75-ECS
M 75-CS

Michael-Otto

I've got the 1975 catalog in front of me and it states very clearly that the M91ED was just below the M95ED and that they are all the current line of Shure cartridges (at the time). Perhaps there was an overlapping period when both were availabe, but it is clearly stated right here in the list from Shure that the lineup is as stated in post #6. If they weren't both available at the same time I doubt that they would list them as currently available product. If I get time later I will scan and post it if there is any interest.

I've got the 1975 catalog in front of me and it states very clearly that the M91ED was just below the M95ED and that they are all the current line of Shure cartridges (at the time). Perhaps there was an overlapping period when both were availabe, but it is clearly stated right here in the list from Shure that the lineup is as stated in post #6. If they weren't both available at the same time I doubt that they would list them as currently available product. If I get time later I will scan and post it if there is any interest.

I have a Shure High Track that originally came with my ELAC 50H. It needs a stylus unfortunately. When I first looked at it I thought something was wrong with it as the cartridge body was covered with a green textured finish. Something I had not seen before from Shure having never owned anything under the Super Track Plus. This may be a cartridge I should find a nice new stylus for and put to work somewhere. Its rather small too, something else I noticed. There is a number on it I will need to check that tonight.

edit: It says High Track on the stylus guard.

Last edited:
The Shure M93E I have on my Dual 1209 is labeled as Hi Track. Why would this be if it was not? Just curious:scratch2:

The first High-Track = High Trackability System Series are 1967:
M 75-6
M 75-G
M-75-E

Ca.1969
M 91-E
M 92 E
M 93 E
Ca.1971/73:
M 75 Typ 2 Series
M 75-6 Typ 2
M 75-G Typ 2
M 75-E Typ 2
M 75-EJ Typ 2
M 75-ED Typ 2
M 75-B Typ2
1973:
M 91-ED
1975:
M 95-EJ
M 95-ED de Luxe
Ca.1978/79:
M 95-HE
M 75-6S
M 75-ECS
M 75-CS

Michael-Otto

The original poster, even though two years ago, was not talking about High Track series of cartridges. He was talking about the cartridges that specifically say "Hi Track," spelled that way on the stylus.

Back
Top Bottom