Shure M97xE or M91ED which one should I keep?

While I like them both I would pick the M91ED. It was my "go to" cartridge for years and I still have a fondness for it. The M97xe is a V15III wanna be and I'll take the V15III every time.

Not sure but it looks exactly like this one.
Looks like an M97xE to me. Facing the front of the cartridge, if you look at the body low and to the right, you should see it labeled "M97 x".

Shure designed the V15VxMR and M97xE with what they called a "softened" high end, this in response to audio critics who found the earlier V15V-MR a bit harsh in the high end. The M97xE's response curve at TNT Audio certainly shows a nice downward slope of 2 or 3 dB between 2 kHz and 6 kHz, leveling off after that. In any event, I consider the M97xE to be absolutely perfect for my current system, and it pains me that Shure is no longer in the business. I can't trust that aftermarket styli are going to sound anything like the original; the few reviews I've read all remark that the aftermarket replacements sound brighter than the original, and avoidance of bright sound is one of the things that make the M97xE so special to me (I also credit the aluminum mounting block, that seems to mate so well, so rigidly to the headshell as I bear down on the stainless steel mounting hardware, for providing me with much better resolution and dynamics than I got with the older Shure VST III).

Whether you keep the M91ED or the M97xE, you're going to have to rely on companies other than Shure for your replacement stylus needs, and there's no predicting what options will be available in the years ahead. If it were me, and since you have both cartridges at hand, I think I'd just try both in the ELAC and keep the one you like best.

I don't have a phono pre, I'm running it through the phono of my Sansui AU-7900 amp.
In that case, it would be helpful to know the input capacitance of the internal phono pre in the AU-7900. Maybe another member would know. If it’s on the high side (>250 pf) the M91 would be a better choice. If it’s closer to 100 pf, either would work because it’s easy to add capacitance with cables. Removing internal capacitance is more difficult.

Looks like an M97xE to me. Facing the front of the cartridge, if you look at the body low and to the right, you should see it labeled "M97 x".

Shure designed the V15VxMR and M97xE with what they called a "softened" high end, this in response to audio critics who found the earlier V15V-MR a bit harsh in the high end. The M97xE's response curve at TNT Audio certainly shows a nice downward slope of 2 or 3 dB between 2 kHz and 6 kHz, leveling off after that. In any event, I consider the M97xE to be absolutely perfect for my current system, and it pains me that Shure is no longer in the business. I can't trust that aftermarket styli are going to sound anything like the original; the few reviews I've read all remark that the aftermarket replacements sound brighter than the original, and avoidance of bright sound is one of the things that make the M97xE so special to me (I also credit the aluminum mounting block, that seems to mate so well, so rigidly to the headshell as I bear down on the stainless steel mounting hardware, for providing me with much better resolution and dynamics than I got with the older Shure VST III).

Whether you keep the M91ED or the M97xE, you're going to have to rely on companies other than Shure for your replacement stylus needs, and there's no predicting what options will be available in the years ahead. If it were me, and since you have both cartridges at hand, I think I'd just try both in the ELAC and keep the one you like best.
"M97 x" is on the spot where you mentioned, so it's definitely an M97xE. I don't like bright sound either find it fatiguing. Thanks for your detailed response.

In that case, it would be helpful to know the input capacitance of the internal phono pre in the AU-7900. Maybe another member would know. If it’s on the high side (>250 pf) the M91 would be a better choice. If it’s closer to 100 pf, either would work because it’s easy to add capacitance with cables. Removing internal capacitance is more difficult.
I know this isn't exactly what you mean but I have phono pickup load settings on the back. This is a picture I got off the web. IMG_1230.jpg

I know this isn't exactly what you mean but I have phono pickup load settings on the back. This is a picture I got off the web. View attachment 1349604

That is different. It’s resistance, rather than capacitance. However, you could add a little brightness by going to 100k or decrease brightness by reducing to the 30k setting. This would give either cart a little more flexibility. 47k (50) is the manufacturer’s recommendation.

While I am not a fan of generic styli, I am very curious to know where the heck you live that a local store stocks them. I live in Brooklyn, where one can get anything. No one has this stuff.

I live in Halifax, NS on the east coast of Canada. I must admit I was surprised they had it too, thought I'd have to order it off Amazon. Taz Records is the biggest record store here, they have a lot of products for the vintage audio enthusiast.

That is different. It’s resistance, rather than capacitance. However, you could add a little brightness by going to 100k or decrease brightness by reducing to the 30k setting. This would give either cart a little more flexibility. 47k (50) is the manufacturer’s recommendation.
Thanks I'll keep it on the lower setting, not a fan of brightness.

You must be at least 700 or 800 miles north of NYC. When did it start snowing? September maybe? Regardless of your latitude, that place looks like Shangri- La compared to NYC.

The 97 is very blah! Keep the M91ED. Sold many Miracords with that cart. It will out perform the 97! That is a cool looking base. Never seen that one. Great table.

Eric

...Shure designed the V15VxMR and M97xE with what they called a "softened" high end, this in response to audio critics who found the earlier V15V-MR a bit harsh in the high end.

Yes.
That is the story I have read too.

In any case, the Shure M97xE is a very well balanced cartridge, for my tastes.
It might not have a 'character' that would make it stand out, but then again it's probably what the engineers wanted out of it.

They intended to make it sound more relaxed and smooth towards the top, making it very pleasing to listen to.

What I personally like about that Shure, is exactly that type of warm 'vintage' sound.
It reminds me of a Pickering XV/15-625E, which I also consider it to be a very successful performer.

Last edited:
While I like them both I would pick the M91ED. It was my "go to" cartridge for years and I still have a fondness for it. The M97xe is a V15III wanna be and I'll take the V15III every time.

It’s nothing like a V15-III. Modeled more like the V15-VxMR. Has the damping brush. Of course it falls short on performance relative to the VxMR due to the stylus.

My experience with the M97xE was been underwhelming. I think I had a bad stylus, it wore fast and I never liked the high freq roll off very much.

I put a LPGear Vivid Line on it and it’s now very enjoyable.

The M91 is a vintage crowd favorite. I have an M75 that I like too.

It’s nothing like a V15-III. Modeled more like the V15-VxMR. Has the damping brush. Of course it falls short on performance relative to the VxMR due to the stylus.

My experience with the M97xE was been underwhelming. I think I had a bad stylus, it wore fast and I never liked the high freq roll off very much.

You are correct but I was talking about the voiceing, not the construction.

I would keep M91ED & sell M97xE :)

Don't know if I'm qualified to answer the OP's question since I really want to find M91ED (or GD for that matter) for myself some day, but the way I see things is pretty simple. M91 is a vintage model, one of the best models Shure ever made (including M75)

Unfortunately, it is also quite rare to find apparently, where on the other hand M97xE is a modern cartridge available pretty much anywhere. In fact, most distributors still have & sell NOS supplies, and probably will for many more years to come since it was only just recently discontinued. Meaning, you can easily buy a new one, which is just not the case with 91.

You must be at least 700 or 800 miles north of NYC. When did it start snowing? September maybe? Regardless of your latitude, that place looks like Shangri- La compared to NYC.
I just checked Google, your right on the money it's 866 miles. It is quite nice here, Halifax is a major seaport and the city is very scenic and not much snow yet, get most of it staring in January. Very small city compared to New York about 450,000 people.

I think from all the comments I have read here I will keep the M91ED and if I do sell the turntable let the M97xE go with it. Thanks everyone for your very helpful comments and suggestions.
What would be a good stylus in the $100 range or less for the M91ED if I decide to upgrade in the future.
Don't mention any stylus over $100 as that is the top end of my budget.

The 97 is very blah! Keep the M91ED. Sold many Miracords with that cart. It will out perform the 97! That is a cool looking base. Never seen that one. Great table.

Eric
Thanks I love the base as well and think the TT looks and sounds amazing. I am keeping the M91ED.

I have a LPGear Vivid Line stylus on an ADC-XLM-lll cart I have. Having some issues mounting it at the moment but I'll get it sorted out. Fits a bit loosely. Sounded great when I ran it.

Back
Top Bottom