Shure 'White Labels' compatible branded stylus

timmy.timmy

I was told a while ago that some other brands of stylus (ideally large conical or elliptical) could be fitted on those Shure cartridges whose 'White Label' stylus are discontinued and the generic compatible replacements being offered are just not good at all. I totally forgot to "write it down" to investigate further and better. All the hints and Help would be truly appreciated.

I recently sold a SC35C (Tonar/Jico) to a guy using a white label. He said it looked a bit different over the original but sounded good enough that he ordered two more from me :)

Anyway, something to check out

I recently sold a SC35C (Tonar/Jico) to a guy using a white label. He said it looked a bit different over the original but sounded good enough that he ordered two more from me :)

That's it. You're right. Now I remember checking them on the net but couldn't picture the front body of this assembly fitting 'White Label' cartridge body like the OEM ones. But it should I must understand as some do. Thanks a lot ! You sell those ? PM me if so. I am in Belgium, so we have our retailer here. But I know of some in the USA who might be interested if ever.

That's it. You're right. Now I remember checking them on the net but couldn't picture the front body of this assembly fitting 'White Label' cartridge body like the OEM ones. But it should I must understand as some do. Thanks a lot ! You sell those ? PM me if so. I am in Belgium, so we have our retailer here. But I know of some in the USA who might be interested if ever.

I’ll pm you :)

Look for a Jico N44-7X stylus (predecessor of the N35x and White Label). This is the closest you'll get in the aftermarket world.

Look for a Jico N44-7X stylus (predecessor of the N35x and White Label). This is the closest you'll get in the aftermarket world.

Thanks for that tip. Shure's OEM N44-7X costs $50 and the SC35C from Jico $20.

Those N-44-7X from Jico costs a tad more at $29. I will inquire with Jico if they use different specs of width for their stylus on those as well.

SinceI I only plan to have them for my DJs sessions outdoor, I don't want to put that much money in them.

And I'd still prefer a 0.7 stylus presenting a more proper width than 0.5 for my vintage 45's groove.

Remember the M 44-7 is different from the M 44-7X (a rare Shure model naming gaffe). I use the Jico N 44-7 styli daily in my old M44E and M55E bodies, and am totally satisfied with their performance.

Remember the M 44-7 is different from the M 44-7X (a rare Shure model naming gaffe). I use the Jico N 44-7 styli daily in my old M44E and M55E bodies, and am totally satisfied with their performance.

After trials of different settings/placings with the Jico replacement N-44-7 DJ stylus, they do sound thin and far away in my Shure 'White Label' cartridge in comparison with the single 'White Label' original stylus I still have.

So I don't know what makes that, can't understand but I now strongly have doubt that even the Jico SC 35 stylus would sound closer to the original stylus in my 'White Label' cartridges. At least more than those N-44-7 DJ Jico ones do.

After comparing reviews, costs and specs between DJ cartridges, I am contemplating the idea to purchase a pair of those Shure M 44-7 cartridges. If fully satisfied with them, I'll sel on my 'White Label' cartridges to break it even.

Oh and I intend to cross bridge their channels to convert them in MONO cartridges. Those have all the rear room to do that. Finally I thing they'll look smashing in a pair of Ortofon SPU alloy 'G' type that I kept for such purpose.

Last edited:
White Label is different. M 44-7 is also 15 degree VTA instead of 20 degree VTA. I'd buy a pair of M 44 bodies or M 55 bodies (they're compatible)

Could you please ask him, if you may and can, if they sound close as to the originals or how "good enough" ?

White Label is different. M 44-7 is also 15 degree VTA instead of 20 degree VTA. I'd buy a pair of M 44 bodies or M 55 bodies (they're compatible)

You mean that with the N 44-7 DJ Jico stylus in the 'White Label' cartridge, VTA is biased and to get the SRA closer to right, I should test play with the tail up of the tonearm to compensate that 5% difference to maybe get better result ?

No, you use a M 44 or M 55 body as Shure intended, the White Label is different, and the stylus for it from Jico to use is for the N 44-7X. Which is the best aftermarket stylus available for the White Label, the M25C, the M35X, SC35C, M44-7X, M44-GX family. A much newer design.

Could you please ask him, if you may and can, if they sound close as to the originals or how "good enough" ?
He wrote

“They sound great”
“Very close to the originals”
“Not as fragile” (meaning I think he goes through the originals quite fast and these have a bit more longevity)

He seems pleased with them though

Sorry, it’s a messenger chat lol, hope that helps some :)

Back
Top Bottom