Sibilance in new components?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by olson_jr, Jan 6, 2019.

1. olson_jr

olson_jr Beware of cake hoarders & soft shoe shufflers Subscriber

I know many do not believe in break-in on new components, cables etc. But I seem to hear Sibilance frequently in new components and cables.

Might it be something the manufactures spray onto the new stuff to make us think that their components sound better with time in use?

Just was given a new pair of interconnects to try and they sound so different after 8 hours that I am, I am, well baby I am amazed.

4-2-7 and roadie1 like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. eizner23

eizner23 Well-Known Member

I will invent a device that rejuvenates interconnects to brand new SQ though some wicked techology.
    Run your interconnects through the device every week.
    It will go for $3500 retail.

roadie1 likes this.
  3. DC

DC "Manhattan Boy" Subscriber

I don't tend to hear sibilance as a general rule with new gear as much as thin and shallow and lifeless (here I thought I was describing myself, except for the thin part). The past six or more serious amplifiers I've had through here, especially if they've been physically cold to the core (say, from winter time shipping), have sounded like they forgot what bass was. And after several days of use, usually left on 24/7 and well-warmed, they have opened right up (or, rather, down) and it's all there as it should be, and then I can actually hear the amplifier.

Anyway, those cables sound better? (I know you said different, but are they better?)

hoodie likes this.
  4. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier Subscriber

I have never heard this with new components or interconnects before, although I should also say that aside from the Oppo 105 which was purchased as a store demo, most of my other electronics were purchased used and pretty well broken in.

I do hear a little sibilance on a phono cartridge when it is new, but I know that since it is a mechanical component, it will loosen up over the first couple dozen hours and settle in nicely once it has broken in. I don't do the really fine adjustments on it until it has broken in for a while.

5. olson_jr

So this is interesting. I have noticed the sibilance issue with both the new PS Audio pieces when they were new in my system. In both cases, it went away and I had not noticed it again.

In this instance had DC lent me a brand new set of balanced cables. I installed them between the DSD DAC and the Stellar Monoblocks and there is that sssss again. I immediately thought this is the new cables BUT in hindsight, I had never used the balanced outputs or inputs on any of the PS Audio equipment before.

I left the stuff playing for the day and it was fine the next time I checked.

The system sounds surprisingly good without a pre-amp. Wish I had a way to switch it in and out of the system quickly so I could understand what the pre brings to the party and compared to pre-less.

6. Wildcat

The preamp would get you impedance matching if it was needed, plus it could act as a way to change sources. But if your impedance is good going into the Stellars and you only have the DS as a source, then the pre would be extra baggage IMHO. Their function has changed a lot over the years, and there are still some of us who may have some analog sources to add to the system, and the preamp is the control center for it all.

But that doesn't explain the sibilance issue. Did you ask over on the PSA forum at all? I wonder if it is something with their particular components, or are you hearing this with other brands also?

7. olson_jr

Interesting enough, running without the pre sounds better running the balanced cables, they seem louder?

Only one source for me.

8. Wildcat

Could the balanced connection be 3dB louder? It depends on how the circuitry is implemented. With balanced, provided both "hot" leads are used, one of the two "hot" inputs is flipped 180° (phase) at the receiving end, which cancels out the noise and would also sum both hot leads together. That's the only thing I can think of, for it being louder.

olson_jr likes this.
  9. Wildcat

Dang it, now I think I'm hearing some in my system. I am almost thinking it's the weather. ;) But I have to some more recordings to see if it's really there, or I'm just hearing something on these recordings I haven't noticed before (although I've heard these dozens of times).

I wonder if my preamp tubes are getting old. They're at the two year point, and some weekdays I'm running it for eight hours or more each day. I may have to roll in my new set and try 'em. It's just that I have to disassemble the rack to get to it.

olson_jr likes this.
  10. freQ(*)Oddio

freQ(*)Oddio AK Subscriber Subscriber

Some sources can have too much gain , and can slightly distort a preamps input. I have used a basic passive volume control to better match component to preamp voltages , it cleans up nice to just reduce the signal very slightly to the preamp.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 5:44 PM
    olson_jr likes this.
  11. Wildcat

I've had the same sources and preamps for a few years with no issues, and I'm well under maximum input levels on the preamp--no different than any other day here.

But, I didn't hear any sibilance later this afternoon, with a few things that had a lot more high frequency content. Starting to wonder if it was just the recordings. Although I've heard some of these dozens of times, and never remember hearing it.