Silent Pioneer SX-880

gary7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Picked up a SX-880 at a local thrift for $4.50. Nice silver face with the black meters with white lettering. No way to test it there except plugging it in, All lights worked. Cool!. Got it home, hooked speakers to it, tuned to a FM station. Red stereo light popped on, Signal meter dead on. No sound. Plugged a Cd player into the Aux. No sound. The watt meters don't move. :tears:. Come to think of it I did not here any protection circuit click in. Any ideas. It is a nice unit and I'd like to get it playing again if not to costly.

Check the output transistors for shorts, and the emitter resistors for opens.

powerpacks bad.

If you're referring to the main output transistors, the 880/890 series has discretes.

Based on his problem description, I'd give gary7's case about a 95% chance of immediate repair by re-soldering the power supply transistors as described. Has to be one of the most gratifying quick repairs in vintage audio!

If you're referring to the main output transistors, the 880/890 series has discretes. I'd give the above case about a 90% chance of immediate fix by re-soldering the power supply transistors as described. One of the most gratifying quick repairs in vintage audio!

Agreed.

Although there could be more extensive damage, there is a high probability that this simple fix is all that is required.

Of course a thorough treatment with DeoxIT on all of the controls is assumed.

I have a 890 and the fix to the circuit board was all it required to get it up and running, thanx mark allen for the remedy!

Hi guys. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have exactly the same issue with a Luxman R-106 receiver. Would all the advice given Gary7 apply in my case as well? Thanks.

If you're referring to the main output transistors, the 880/890 series has discretes.

Based on his problem description, I'd give gary7's case about a 95% chance of immediate repair by re-soldering the power supply transistors as described. Has to be one of the most gratifying quick repairs in vintage audio!

+1 on this recommendation. I found and fixed this same problem on my SX-880 and learned much later that it was very common on this model.

Hi guys. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have exactly the same issue with a Luxman R-106 receiver. Would all the advice given Gary7 apply in my case as well? Thanks.

It's probably best to start your own thread with a description of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom