Silver faced CD player?

Here are a couple of photos of my Technics SL-P1 that I purchased new in 1985 and used until I bought a new Marantz CC-65 5 disk changer. The Sl-P1 was put into storage until I decided to assemble a vintage 2 channel rig about 1 year ago. So I pulled out the SL-P1 because it is silver and would most closely match the rest of the vintage system look. I had to replace the belts, plus clean and lube the tray mechanism, but now it operates essentially like new - sounds fine to me even though it’s a very early CDP and only a 16 bit DAC. Personally I don't hear any difference between the SL-P1 and the Marantz. (I still use the Marantz in my main system).

IMG_3886(2).JPG

IMG_3888(2).JPG

Last edited:
Philips DVD 963SA, also plays SACDs and looks right at home next to my 1980 Akai AT-V04 tuner and 1983 Yamaha A-1000 integrated amp:

Silver_System_2.jpg

Silver_System_4.jpg

Silver_System_5.jpg

I discovered just yesterday that my SONY XA20ES also came in silver. I think I prefer the black though.

I agree with dswann01, the SL-P1 - P3 series are great CD players, I have a SL-P2 with the remote and I lurve it, you'll probably have to change the Laser sled belt and the drawer belt but it's so worth it. Plus they have a window on the front so you can watch the CD spin.

DSC_0991.JPG

Thou can buy new Marantz in silver but you may have to pay a 50 buck premium.

They are on Amazon but they must be coming from Japan. They are 100 volt 50/60 cycle so a transformer would be needed. Didn't notice that before. Silver seems limited to overseas.

I just recieved this Shanling EC1B CD player today. Small with a silver face and seemingly nice build quality. It's a surprisingly heavy unit.

I've only used it 5 minutes or so to be sure it works though it sounded quite nice. I'll be using it with a JLH 1969 Hood repro amp and Boston Acoustics A100 speakers in a bedroom system.

Hopefully the heat from the Hood amp doesn't cause it to malfunction with it sitting on top of the amp.

IMG_20180328_175858.jpg

Kyocera made a couple - and they had wood sides.
The Kyocera components I remember weren't exactly silver, but had a tint to them that leaned towards bronze. Really nice! As I disliked silver and had grown tired of black, it was a welcome alternative and made them stand out. Never owned any, but one of our local high-end stores (Almas) carried them back in the 80s.

The Harman Kardon HD500 appears to have had the "frosted" silver face that was common on their early to mid 80s components.

upload_2018-3-28_11-17-11.png

sherwood_newcastle_cd980t_single_cd_player.jpg

I bought this Sherwood Newcastle cd 980t back in 1998 and it still runs fine. A dandy little player. Worth seeking out if you can find one used.

Hello

Building an all silver face Realistic system and I stumbled upon a silver face Realistic CD-1200 to compliment my other Realistic units a restored and rare SA-1500 integrated amp (never sold in US) and matching tuner TM-1000. Does anyone have an owners manual for this CD player that they would be willing to share? Building an all silver face Realistic system. Just need Realistic SCT-16 tape deck to complete it. Also looking for FULL manual for the amp. Can only find a five page partial copy online. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom