~~Simi's "Song A Day" thread~~

Wow.. that's a drag. First company I've ever heard of blocking youtube. Without giving up the name, what kind of business is it?

I did want to play a version of Bang On The Drum All Day that was recorded at Wolftrap. That way I could link my old home of STL and their tradition of playing Todd every frida morning, and my present here in DC.. but the sound was even crappier than this live version is..

Partytown!!!

I had to look that one up.. Cool word... um.. yeah... that could easily be me.. :D

We love our bogans and bevan chicks here mate!

You do have an AC/DC T-shirt don't you?

All that aside I really love the Ska. Do you have UB-40's "Notice to Appear"? It was their first and only good record IMO. They devilled into Ska on this album.

BTW I love your thread idea. Thanks for taking charge on what may be a great discussion thread. I'll look forward to your daily tunes!

Sadly, no, no AC/DC shirt, but they are my favorite Aussie band. But Men at work seems to be right there with them for me too.. more complex and fun...

I believe I do have that UB-40 LP... If not on vinyl, I know I have it in MP3..

Yeah, I figured make it kinda like a musical blog or something... See what kinda twists and turns it takes.. Might be interesting for me to go back in a year or two and see what I was thinking or doing on a particular day..

Be careful where you use it. In Canada it(I'm not sure of the spelling) is considered a racist term for aboriginal people.

Canadians better chech their spelling eh

I would never use a racist word for our indigenous brothers and sisters.

~~Saturday Feb 26th.~~

Seems gold is a hot topic lately..

Last night I watched the behind the scenes for Gold Rush Alaska. Watched the whole season, and it was a pretty cool show. Those guys have some balls risking so much on a dream..

Then I woke up this morning and the TV was on, and the show Gold Fever was on... huh... so much about gold..

We can't ignore the prices gold is up to now with so much unrest in the world.. It's up to $1408 this morning..

Who better to sing about some gold.. Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac... Gold Dust Woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6erjP98F1w

Last edited:
Thanks simi, I still have "Freddy" stuck in my head.
My nickname is fred, thats probably got something to do with it.

Love this thread, good to get a persons tastes and moods on a daily basis.

Cheers, Timo.

LOL... I had that tune flippin through my head for that day too.. THANKFULLY I already forgot the melody to it.. :D

As far as tastes, I originally wasn't going to go with Fleetwood for today. I am really more of a techno person, and was thinking about Chestnut - Pot Of Gold but it's a pretty long drawn out repetitive song..

LOL... I had that tune flippin through my head for that day too.. THANKFULLY I already forgot the melody to it.. :D

As far as tastes, I originally wasn't going to go with Fleetwood for today. I am really more of a techno person, and was thinking about Chestnut - Pot Of Gold but it's a pretty long drawn out repetitive song..

I've got that Chestnut track on a few DJ mixes...I really miss the music of the early 90's. I'm not sure what popped this into my head, but here is my contribution: Two Little Boys - Stylophonia. There's other (better) remixes available, sadly, I only have this on mixed cds.

Nice thread!

~~Sunday Feb. 27th~~

Today's song is from Black Keys.... For some strange reason, it seems to keep popping in my life..

Friday was the first time I had heard this song. It was on the radio, and I was like "OH YEAH.. This song kicks ass!!!!" and cranked it up..

Well after they said what the name of the song was, I had to laugh.. I was at the DC record show a couple weeks ago, and was holding the single in my hand thinking about buying it, not realizing it was only the single. I thought it was one of their full LP's. I really don't know anything about Black Keys, other than I've heard the name, but never listened to them.. that I knew of..

So I got home Friday night and started checking out their music.. "I Know these guys"... they get a lot of radio play around here. Just never knew that was them..

So then this morning, there is a post in BT that has two Black Keys LPs for sale, and I'll be damned if one of them isn't the LP I was just thinking about ordering.... Brothers... SOLD!

SO...

Howlin' For You http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8A1yy_CrIc

Last edited:
Gotta love their bluesy sound. They are going to be a force down the line if they keep it together. If only they weren't from Ohio.:D

After reading about them, they've been together a lot longer than I had known. No idea why I hadnt really checked this band out. I usually keep track of who is who and what some of their songs are.

I really dig the Black Keys. They get a great deal of airplay (especially this hit) on my local NPR station. I really dig that Eastwood guitar he is playing. At least, I think it's an Eastwood.

The drummer reminds me a bit of the drummer from the Romantics. A simple, heavy backbeat on an oversized trap kit, heavy loose heads and big sticks.

Last edited:
The drummer reminds me a bit of the drummer from the Romantics. A simple, heavy backbeat on an oversized trap kit, heavy loose heads and big sticks.

I was a big fan of the Romantics early on and I remember spending a week in Boston in around 1982 and browsing a lot of record stores there and in Cambridge. I was surprised to find they had such a following there as they struck me as sort of a local band.:scratch2:

I never noticed the big sticks. My sons play/played in drum line in their marching band and those look like marching sticks, Vic Firth Corpsmaster sized.
Early Romantics Vid

Back
Top Bottom