Since cicadas are musical......this should be acceptable.

I caught one the other day. It had a death grip on my index finger, and started buzzing. Very strange sensation. I like them, harmless things.

We had these huge Cicada Killer Wasps in a nest in our backyard. They would fly up into the tree find, sting and paralyze the Cicadas and fly them down to their underground nest for feeding.

https://landscapeipm.tamu.edu/ipm-for-turfgrass/pests-turfgrass/digger-wasp/

CicardaKiller1.sm_.jpg

I have a supreme digital recording of them somewhere. Played thru my Martin Logans at an accelerated volume is pretty intense.....I also sampled that sound and ran it thru my synth for some very interesting tones.....

Cicadas are part of the Summer soundtrack in Central Texas, and I like them. They remind me of the sound of a Chris King hub in coasting mode. :thumbsup: Around here, people tend to say "sic-ey-duh."

Last edited:
In Tucson they go all summer long every year, quite loudly, in crowded choruses. In the 70s there was a local radio commercial for an air-conditioning company, that started with the quite-recognizable sound of several cicadas, starting up, rising and falling, stopping and starting again. Then the voice-over started, a very deep voice, saying:

"Nine A.M., and it's hot already."
"Gonna be a scorcher."

They let that sink in, then:

"Isn't it about time to call the air-conditioning pros at blah, blah, blah..."

A few years ago, I was riding in Tucson, and had something hit my chest. Not all that rare an occurrence, but I stopped soon after to check on something, and another rider, whom I didn't know, pulled up. We got to talking, and then you-know-what started buzzing. In my t-shirt. :( I yelped, and jumped, and danced around, and finally yanked the t-shirt out of my pants and the cicada fell out at our feet. I'm pretty sure it would have looked great on Youtube.

Well, being a bug guy and a recording addict, I recorded them in 2004 when a large brood of 17 year Cicada's hatched out here in Centreville, VA. I recorded them using a pair of Crown PZM's located about 30 feet apart. I did 2 recordings that day. One went on for 45 minutes, and another for an hour and a half. I've since moved to Sterling, about 18 miles north in Sterling, VA next to a large regional park. My back yard has become Cicada Killer central. I usually have 8-12 holes in my yard. The Cicada Killers catch the Cicada's in flight, sting them and fall to earth while holding them. They drag them back to the pair and tear off the wings before burying 6-9 of them with an egg layed on one of the still living but paralyzed Cicada's. The Cicada Killers are pretty cool themselves. They are a solitary Wasp species.

Last edited:
Being in Kentucky it's a common occurrence to have them buzzing in the back ground. I don't mind them so much as it reminds me of the warmer months here. Like was mentioned above, the cicada killers are another story though. They look like a mutant wasp combined with a hornet. Big ferocious looking things, had one fly in through the bay door at work the other day. At first glance, thought it was a humming bird lol. Definetly something I do not want to be trapped in close quarters with!

We had a huge hatch here a few years ago. There were dead hulls 2 - 3 inches deep around some of the trees. My wife and I sat on the deck shooting them out of the air with the water hose. Lots of fun!

Back
Top Bottom