Since cicadas are musical......this should be acceptable.

It's drowning out the cicada noise, and those invisible R's they drag around.

Although they appear every year in some quantity I've been around for a few of the 17 yr infestations and I must say, it is an interesting time in the wooded areas. At a house remodel job we caught the larvae exiting the ground where the grass was scarfed away. Thousands of tiny holes in the dirt where they had been laying dormant all those years.

We had these huge Cicada Killer Wasps in a nest in our backyard. They would fly up into the tree find, sting and paralyze the Cicadas and fly them down to their underground nest for feeding.

https://landscapeipm.tamu.edu/ipm-for-turfgrass/pests-turfgrass/digger-wasp/

CicardaKiller1.sm_.jpg

Love me some Cicada Killers! Harmless to us but they are some badass looking flyers.

Love the late summer bug music. One hell of a large orchestra, all in perfect time within their section (species)

One summer, I watched as a bird on a wire spotted a cicada on a branch. The bird bee lined in and grabbed that insect then took it to the asphalt, where it proceeded to slam it down several times until the Cicada became quiet. At the very instant the Cicada wound down as if its battery gave out, another bird from a distant tree swooped down and stole the insect. Nature is always watching.

Back
Top Bottom