Six Brilliantly Recorded and Mastered Reggae Albums!

cipriano

Reggae is the ultimate crap shoot when it comes to quality. Basically the best reggae is normally recorded in rushed conditions on old equipment. And Jamaican vinyl pressings - don't even get me started! So, here is a list of six albums that beg to be heard on even the best equipment. Normally, when it is good material, several pressings across many countries will occur. These six recommendations will pinpoint the exact pressing and mastering to look for.

1:
R-196377-1316005786.jpeg.jpg
Congos - Heart of The Congos - Blood & Fire (1995)
Recorded on a 4-track Teac in 1977 by Lee Perry at Black Ark Studios in JA, this is an unparalleled sonic marvel. And to think it was originally refused a global release on Island because of the unique sounds at play. The version to get is the 1996 Blood and Fire, in which the 1/4" master tapes were cooked in order to restore and preserve the songs (It was one of those scary one-time tape bakings :)). Kevin Metcalfe remastered the album (and extras) at Abbey Road in London. Recently the NY based label VP has reissued this but I don't know if they use the Blood & Fire master. The Blood & Fire was released on LP and CD, but the vinyl doesn't come cheap.

2:
R-848916-1500992299-3405.jpeg.jpg
Dadawah (AKA Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus), Peace & Love, Dugout/Honest Jon's (1974) - Some call it prog-reggae or pschedelic-reggae, I just call it great music period. Recorded by Lloyd Chalmers. The version to score is the 2010 reissue on Dugout Records. It was remastered by Christoph-Grote Beverborg in Berlin. Available on LP and CD. Avoid the Trojan pressing from the 80's. If you want a JA original pressing they are available - for several hundred dollars! No loss though as the Dugout pressing is amazing.

3:
R-213962-1459775134-4045.jpeg.jpg
The Chantells & Friends - Children of Jah - Blood and Fire (1999)
Like #1 this is a Blood and Fire edition, masterfully remastered (again) by Kevin Metcalfe in London. Beautiful songs. CD only.

4:
R-195142-1328763962.jpeg.jpg
Lee Perry - Arkology - Island (1997)
It continues to baffle how Perry was able to get the sounds he did on his 4-track Teac at Black Ark Studios in Kingston, JA. This Island box-set is a marvel for the ears and will challenge your hi-fi like nothing else. Remastered from the master tapes. CD only.

5:
R-1808131-1244661251.jpeg.jpg
Midnite - Ras Mek Peace - Wildchild (1999)
This CD only release is an oddity on this list. It was recorded for audiophiles! The Mapleshade studio was looking for the perfect reggae act to record in their studio and when they heard Midnite in concert, they knew they found the band. Several months of rehearsals and trying to figure out the best way to mic and record an amplified reggae band ensued. The results are stunning. The pressing of this CD comes and goes, and at this time supply seems to have dried up. :( Hopefully it will get another pressing soon.

6:
R-5896731-1480861273-6346.jpeg.jpg
Lucky Dube - Prisoner - Shanachie (1989)
Beautifully recorded and mastered in South Africa. The image shown is the original SA press but the widely available Shanachie LP and CD sounds heavenly. Mastered by Robert Vosgien.

Last edited:
Good stuff Cipriano. You are right, reggae/rocksteady/dub can be so poorly recorded or produced as to be worthwhile only for portable piano key cassette decks, probably because some of it was recorded on them.

I'll watch for some of these. Arkology is already in da house. ;)

Good stuff Cipriano. You are right, reggae/rocksteady/dub can be so poorly recorded or produced as to be worthwhile only for portable piano key cassette decks, probably because some of it was recorded on them.

I'll watch for some of these. Arkology is already in da house. ;)

Yeah, I think some people who are serious about their systems get burnt once or twice by a reggae release, and then give up on the whole genre. But there is so much great stuff out there. And everybody (literally!) should own a copy of Arkology. :)

Cool, there are many times during the summer I want to listen to some new Reggae but end up back at classic Bob Marley. Will put these on the digital list.

Back
Top Bottom