Skyfall

Nah, the low point was the TWO films with the Louisiana Sheriff playing a BAD Jackie Gleason wanna-be from the Smokey and the Bandit franchise ...
Live and let Die ... and The Man with the Golden Gun - retch!!

Those movies were before Smokey and the Bandit, so it was actually Jackie Gleason who was the bad Sheriff J.W. Pepper wanna be.

Which is fine. Except that is NOT James Bond.

Actually, in the early books Bond's Bentley was rebuilt from a wreck. Expensive, but not "brand-new Aston Martin" expensive.

I HATED what they did to his DB5 in Skyfall. For no apparent purpose.

There was only no apparent purpose if you wanted there to be no purpose. There was a strong theme of cutting ties with the past to secure the future.

And couldn't they have gone to any town nearby to buy weapons?

Sure, its a new world, but don't make it so unrealistic.

Buying guns on short order in Scotland, even hunting weapons, would be unrealistic.

Personally, I like Brosnan's take on 007. I think he did a very good job with what he was given, and that was the problem - he wasn't given that much "character" script to work with. I was fine with his physicality when it was called for, but I felt his intellect and knowledge helped get him out of situations just as much as strength. As I said earlier, if given a meatier script, he could still do a great Bond, and one who deals with aging as a secret agent, IF the producers and scriptwriters didn't bombard it with one-liners, and too much comedy as in the previous films.

I felt Goldeneye was a great "reboot" for Brosnan...

I quite liked Goldeneye and thought Brosnan fit the role nicely. Agree that he could deliver, if the script did.

The clothes, like the the cars and the women, have always been a major aspect of the Bond movies and the Bond appeal. One of the first things director Terrence Young did when Sean Connery was hired for the role of Bond was take him to his (Terrance's) own tailor Anthony Sinclair, to get Bonds suits made. While it may not be an issue for you, Bonds attire is likely the most famous and most studied in the history of film.
The suit doth not make the man. Just imagine, if you will, attempting to do anything "physical" dressed like some prior Bond men. Yeah right.

All this suits and speech is all shtick and nothing more. Bond is the AGENT, first and foremost. I'm not into glam, and prior Bonds were more glam than recent, thank God.

I too don't argue the point about the fit or look of the latest fashion in Bond, but honestly when do you appreciate them? Briefly when speaking with a Bond "woman", at the office taunting Money Penny? The bulk of the Bond movie experience is espionage and action. Neither of which requires dashing good looks. Enough about the suits please.

The suit doth not make the man. Just imagine, if you will, attempting to do anything "physical" dressed like some prior Bond men. Yeah right.

All this suits and speech is all shtick and nothing more. Bond is the AGENT, first and foremost. I'm not into glam, and prior Bonds were more glam than recent, thank God.

I too don't argue the point about the fit or look of the latest fashion in Bond, but honestly when do you appreciate them? Briefly when speaking with a Bond "woman", at the office taunting Money Penny? The bulk of the Bond movie experience is espionage and action. Neither of which requires dashing good looks. Enough about the suits please.

I won't argue with your take on the importance of the clothing. Some people won't care about the cars either.

But, you are dead wrong about the suits. The suits worn by Connery in the early movies are so well tailored, that they do not bind anywhere. A well tailored suit gives you total freedom of movement. It allows you to pretty well do anything, without any restrictions. If all you have worn is off the rack suits, you really need to get a decently tailored one. Not just a "made to measure", which merely minimizes a bad fit. But rather a proper suit made to your body. There are reasons that they are not cheap, and require multiple visits and fittings to get right. Off the rack suits are the BPC of the sartorial world.

I might....MIGHT...be willing to fight Roger Moore. Not that I don't like him, he seems like a perfect gentleman, but of all the Bond actors he's the only one I think I have a chance of winning against. Sean Connery included.

I might....MIGHT...be willing to fight Roger Moore. Not that I don't like him, he seems like a perfect gentleman, but of all the Bond actors he's the only one I think I have a chance of winning against. Sean Connery included.

Well, he was the oldest Bond. He was somewhere in mid 50s in "View to a Kill"; Connery was 41 in "Diamonds are Forever", his last official Bond.

Seriously, tailored suits are a need? Wow, I never knew that. :scratch2:

And the problem with tailored suits is the guy in them keeps changing dimensions. I marvel at the engineering detail of my one tailored suit--and the fact that I ever fit in it. I'm hoping to eventually forget the 20 minutes I spent on the floor tugging and pulling in an effort to get into it for a funeral. I plan to wear it one more time--to mine.

I always got endless compliments in it and the mortician won't have to wrestle so much, as he can simply cut it up the back. Between the low cost of cremation and the cost of that suit, the total for the Bonfire of My Vanity will work out about the same as the average burial.

During my suit wearing years I owned sizes 40, 42, 44, 46, 48Ls. Unfortunately this was an up and down progression. Thank God I didn't have to earn my living as a secret agent wearing my dowdy off the rack suits. I'm certain that wouldn't have gone well.

cubdog

Well, he was the oldest Bond. He was somewhere in mid 50s in "View to a Kill"; Connery was 41 in "Diamonds are Forever", his last official Bond.

Except in Never say Never again. I think he wore a toupee in that Movie, what was he, 52?

Huh, I googled that, seems Sean Connery wore a wig in all his movies from the first Bond onwards. Pretty good one then, except his last movie where it's kind of obvious.

I guess Bond isn't allowed to be bald? He wasn't allowed to be Blonde either, but that's changed.

Except in Never say Never again. I think he wore a toupee in that Movie, what was he, 52?

Huh, I googled that, seems Sean Connery wore a wig in all his movies from the first Bond onwards. Pretty good one then, except his last movie where it's kind of obvious.

I guess Bond isn't allowed to be bald? He wasn't allowed to be Blonde either, but that's changed.

Connery started going bald at a young age.

If all you have worn is off the rack suits, you really need to get a decently tailored one. QUOTE]
Seriously, tailored suits are a need? Wow, I never knew that. :scratch2:

cubdog

Yup, they are a need if you want to know what a suit should look, and more importantly, FEEL like. It's a need, just like a room full of audio equipment is a need. :)

As far as the Bond actors go of course Connery the classic for the era.
I liked some but not all of the Roger Moore films . I think Pierce Bronson
was very good as Bond.

Back
Top Bottom