SMAC at AXPONA?

Wildcat

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Admin
Subscriber
Wondering if any of our SMAC brethren are going to be at AXPONA this year. Since I don't have classes this semester, I'm finally free to be able to commit a weekend to making the trip.

http://www.axpona.com/register.asp

I'm probably staying with a buddy who lives in the 'burbs, and driving in vs. flying.

If anyone does go, keep in mind Record Store Day is that same Saturday. I'm not adverse to heading out for a few hours--some buddies are getting together that day and I may tag along. Otherwise I may get the 2- or 3-day pass, depending on what is happening.

My buddy has offered the spare room at his place, but it depends on pets/allergies. I might book something nearby; the Westin is a bit much for my budget. The group rate for AXPONA is a steep discount though. Even with my "old man" discount, the group rate is $90 less.

Reminder: today is the last day to get discounted admission.

I haven't decided on the 2- or 3-day admission as of yet. I don't know if the show is really that big that I need more than one or two days. I'd only go a third day (Sunday) due to a buddy of mine only being available Friday and Sunday. But I have to drive home before dark because mommy says so I have some vision problems at night and don't trust myself on a long stretch in the dark.

:idea: Hmmm, round-trip ticket is only $240. I was going to sit this one out, but maybe I'll go after all.

Train's a lot less, but it's probably 7 hours to your place. Tickets are like $40 each way. I may be riding it this Friday myself.

I prefer "road trip" style traveling! Besides, how else can I shop for rekkids in Chicago and elsewhere along the way, and haul 'em all home without hassles? ;)

Train's a lot less, but it's probably 7 hours to your place. Tickets are like $40 each way. I may be riding it this Friday myself.

$80 r-t isn't bad, but the 14 hours is ... :)

And flying is "free" with AMEX points.

I prefer "road trip" style traveling! Besides, how else can I shop for rekkids in Chicago and elsewhere along the way, and haul 'em all home without hassles? ;)

My method is to send them home with a local friend who drove and then pick them up later. :D

My method is to send them home with a local friend who drove and then pick them up later. :D
No problem! I'll pick out what I want as my fee, and you can keep the few that remain.

:D

If the creek doesn't rise ...
Oh please, not the rising creek...I keep thinking of Red Run and Bear Creek (Chicago Rd., by the Tech Center) and the Acura we lost there in the August 2014 floods... :no: (The 5" of rain.)

I am arriving early Thursday--I am going to do some vinyl shopping at a few stores before dinner. Then, hang out with my buddy at his place and spin some rekkids. :D I really want to check out Dusty Groove, and Val's Halla Records. The former stocks a lot of the types of rare records I'm looking for (Brazilian, especially).

Let's just hope my ancient ride will hold out that long. It's losing the war with rust, salt, potholes, etc. If not, I'll wear some sort of identifying item so anyone else going to AXPONA can pick me up hitchhiking alongside the road. :D

A few hours late. Planned to leave at 7am, it's 11am...feeling lousy but going anyway. ;)

On the way! Looks like I might see a couple of our SMAC fellas there. Saturday, I can't be missed--I'll be wearing my yellow "Michigan" t-shirt. I've PMed my number to a couple of ya.

What happens in Chicago, stays in Chicago...

Back
Top Bottom