SMAC email list is dead

Last full count on the email list was 330. Some of those joined way back in 2005 and I haven't heard from or seen them since. I would imagine there's a certain amount of members who will not want to rejoin. I was impressed that we got 103 REJOIN responses. More will trickle in as time passes I expect. But 103 is pretty darn good.

(Vs. flooding people with email, and then having some of them grow annoyed and flag it as spam rather than unsubscribing, which makes matters worse for everyone.)

I expect this is what happened to the last email list. A couple of inactive members discovered a mailbox full of SMAC messages and marked them all as spam. It only takes a few folks doing that and my gmail account gets labelled as a potential spammer. And then no more emails to 330 people at a time.

I was able to send out the new groups email notice to the entire list of 330 - just 25 or so at a time.

Last full count on the email list was 330. Some of those joined way back in 2005 and I haven't heard from or seen them since. I would imagine there's a certain amount of members who will not want to rejoin. I was impressed that we got 103 REJOIN responses. More will trickle in as time passes I expect. But 103 is pretty darn good.
It is a good showing.

Sometimes it's a good way to clean out a list. There are also some email systems that might categorize the mail so it does not fall into the Inbox, but also does not fall into Spam either. (My Gmail, for instance, sorts out the "Promotions" from the rest of my mail.) And some with more intense spam filtering may not even check their spam folders (or trash, if they automatically discard spam), so you may be up against list members that never saw your email that the list had changed.

No doubt there will be stragglers. Plus, the signup may be a little confusing for some. It just goes with the territory. :)

I expect this is what happened to the last email list. A couple of inactive members discovered a mailbox full of SMAC messages and marked them all as spam. It only takes a few folks doing that and my gmail account gets labelled as a potential spammer. And then no more emails to 330 people at a time.

I was able to send out the new groups email notice to the entire list of 330 - just 25 or so at a time.

That is interesting, I had never thought about what happens when I mark something as SPAM.

I just joined...late April...but have received nothing yet. I will check again. This is the second time I've joined and the first go was confusing. I would simply like to attend the May event. So far I've found "Jim's place" and nothing else. I'm not being critical but email systems always baffle me.
Did you receive email confirmation that you joined the group? I believe there are some settings that determine whether or not you receive email notifications of new postings to the group. If you have indeed joined, you can access email settings here, in the top right corner:

upload_2016-5-2_9-41-22.png

"Membership and email settings" gives you a menu:

upload_2016-5-2_9-42-19.png

Did you receive email confirmation that you joined the group? I believe there are some settings that determine whether or not you receive email notifications of new postings to the group. If you have indeed joined, you can access email settings here, in the top right corner:

View attachment 728087

"Membership and email settings" gives you a menu:

View attachment 728088

Thanks for that.

You can also go directly to the group here and log in:

https://groups.google.com/d/forum/michiganaudioclub

The May meet shows up under Monthly Meetings.

Back
Top Bottom