SMAC January 2010

jmathers

The monthly SMAC meeting will be held Saturday, January 30th from 1pm until 6pm at Jerry's place in Rockwood. Darrel Hawthorne of Hawthorne Audio (www.hawthorneaudio.com) will give a presentation on open baffle speaker design. See my email for details.

BTW also see our NEW website for more details on SMAC:

http://sites.google.com/site/michiganaudioclub/

Sorry for the nearly total transparent attempt at website self promotion. :sigh:

Hope to see you there.:banana:

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the post and the opportunity to host. Anybody planning to attend can feel free to email me with any questions or requests.

Thanks,

Jerry

For the January meet, does anybody plan to bring any equipment? If so, please add it to the thread.

Thanks,

Jerry

For the January meet, does anybody plan to bring any equipment? If so, please add it to the thread.

I am planning to attend, and will bring my newly completed 6B4G GetSETGo.

Looking forward to seeing/listening to the Choir Audio TT.

Are you looking for anything for us to bring?

Nothing in particular. Just trying to get an idea of what may be coming so I can better prepare and others can get an idea of what we'll have available.

If available, a few extra sets of decent interconnects would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

Nothing in particular. Just trying to get an idea of what may be coming so I can better prepare and others can get an idea of what we'll have available.

If available, a few extra sets of decent interconnects would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

I can bring a set. RCA's ok or XLR ?

Thanks Grumpy, RCA interconnects are good for everything I have.

From the email Jeff sent out, the starting system will be:

Carver C-1 preamp
Spud 6CL6 amplifier
Choir Audio TT
Dynaco CDV-2 tube output CD Player
MAC speaker cables
Hawthorne Audio open baffle Duet speakers

We can rotate in other equipment as desired. I do have a few extras that I plan to move on Audiogon soon, but if anybody attending is interested let me know, and we'll work out some very fair SMAC event prices. This includes:

1. Project Debut III TT in red
2. Pair of finished Madisound BK-16 horns with Fostex FF165K full-range drivers.

For any musicians that feel like throwing together an impromptu set, I can have a guitar, bass and electric drumset available. All amplification is small stuff the kids have, but easily good enough for a low powered impromptu 3 piece set.

Finally, if things work out, my Baltic Porter should be ready. I started brewing last weekend, and it should be in the keg and ready for sampling if it turns out as good as I'm hoping it will. This is a very dark brew, so any Bud Light drinkers may want to pass on this one.

Jerry

Last edited:
I will be there and will bring my brand new Maverick Audio DAC. Here is a link. I just realized that this is the first piece of new audio equipment I've bought in 20 years.

http://www.mavaudio.com/base/product/tube_magic_d1/

Looks very interesting. My Dynaco has a digital out, so this should be easy to drop in place of or before the Carver C-1 preamp. I'm pretty sure I have an optical or coax cable here, but it wouldn't be anything "fancy".

Jerry

Finally, if things work out, my Baltic Porter should be ready. I started brewing last weekend, and it should be in the keg and ready for sampling if it turns out as good as I'm hoping it will.
Jerry

Baltic Porter eh, I believe that Flying Dogs Gonzo Imperial Porter is actually considered a Baltic, and I am a big fan of that beer. I was going to offer to bring a couple pairs of RCA interconnects (Kimbers and Blue Heavens) or my DacMagic to compare to the Maverick Audio Dac, but maybe I will just bring my pint glass instead!

Seriously, I am really looking forward to hearing the Hawthorne Duet's. I was very impressed with Ashok's Silver Iris Solo's at AK fest.

Yes, please bring your DACMagic. I would really like to hear the A/B between the two. My Maverick should be well burned in by then.

Baltic Porter eh, I believe that Flying Dogs Gonzo Imperial Porter is actually considered a Baltic, and I am a big fan of that beer. I was going to offer to bring a couple pairs of RCA interconnects (Kimbers and Blue Heavens) or my DacMagic to compare to the Maverick Audio Dac, but maybe I will just bring my pint glass instead!

Seriously, I am really looking forward to hearing the Hawthorne Duet's. I was very impressed with Ashok's Silver Iris Solo's at AK fest.

Back
Top Bottom