SMAC Thoughts

WntrMute2

I was chatting with a couple of other SMACers today and some issues on the state of affairs came up. I wanted to lay them out here and get your feedback.

What would it take to get more of you to host?
Much appreciation goes out to those that regularly host but what prevents the rest of us from hosting?
Listening area too limited?
Not confident your "kit" is up to critical listening?
Feeling like you must provide a meal for the hooligans that show up?
Why will not more of the 300 members of SMAC host a meet?

What topics could be presented at a SMAC meet that you'd be interested in spending a little time learning about?
Is there not something related to audio playback you could contribute to the education of the rest of us?

Is the way our typical monthly meeting currently develops satisfying to you?
Would more "formal" listening sessions be of interest?
If so, how should we go about accomplishing that?

I for one would like to increase the audio and educational component of our meetings. Some of you out there must have opinions, care to share?

Some of it may have to do with room. I never hosted because I just didn't have the room. The group has got quite large.

Remedied that in the past few months and plan on hosting this year, if I ever my system back up.

Here's my thoughts on hosting, I haven't a large home but try to fit in the people that do show up and in most cases that's about 12 to 18 people and some stay longer then others and that's OK because there is a steady flow of us through the afternoon.
Many of us just want to hang out with our fellow SMAC members and talk shop, some wish to hear the gear in play, and all want to hear the tunes. Now with that said, critical listening isn't always an option with the listening space overlap into other rooms that's OK we're here to have fun and enjoy the company. I haven't a big budget system and most enjoy the sound, and there's always room for improvement somewhere in the chain.
As for the food, my wife says if there are people I will feed them, and some hosts just can't and that's OK, many times folks have brought some munches to share.
In the past we've tried to make the meets more interesting some have work and some not that's OK, we can as a group work on it.

Just some of my thoughts Ken G.

Not enough room and two overly friendly dogs complicate hosting for me. A 12' x 18' room with seating for 5 is a bit tight. My area is just a wee bit bigger than Jeff's room from the couch forward w/o the table and bar areas.

I'm fine with the usual BS'ing with the boys, but wouldn't be averse to some more formal presentations. I know we've had them at a few and while they may not hold the entire crowd in rapt attention, they seem to hold their own and are generally well regarded.

I personally would like it if someone could do a presentation on ripping vinyl to digital as that is on my list of things to learn.

I wouldn't mind hosting (again), actually - it's an easy alternative to my usual xenophobia. :D

Cons:
- parking around here can be problematic (shared driveway, no street parking, and few convenient alternatives)
- Old house with steam heat=no A/C, which means noisy window/portable units or it's a real sweat-fest. The obvious answer is a wintertime meet, but the possibility of snow complicates the parking.
- My listening room is small and up in the attic.
- My main system is Plebeian, and with no flair for DIY, tubes, or the like. I think it sounds good to my ears, but nobody will be leaving with a renewed sense of wonderment or awe.
- I'm no culinarian, so no secret chili or BBQ recipes to share. Munchies are not a problem. :)

Pros:
- There is a big Living Room which could have a BYO System and a Family Room which could have another BYO system. Last time I hosted, some folks brought amps and speakers to share and I think we had about three systems going.

I think Ken and Andy are right on; for me, too, the meets are about BSing with friends, discovering new music, and ogling the show-and-tell brought by the DIY artists amongst our ranks. (I've missed a lot of meets lately, but I hope to be able to make some more.) I've always found the informative sessions to be informative and I appreciate the preparation of those who have shared their expertise.

Might be cool to try break the meet into two. Maybe from 11 to 1 have a formal listening session or presentation and then the socializing could commence at 1 ish.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

If bowling leagues actually get together and... bowl.

birders actually go out in the fields and... bird.

and luthiers actually get together and... anyway,

why don't audiophiles actually get together and... listen?

:D

Hosting for me hasn't worked because I have Zero space inside to do it.
I've said before I would like to an plan to have an outdoor smac meeting.
(I just have to try for good weather and finish the "projects" to do so) :)

Another thing I've kicked around with a few folks is renting a hall for a meet.
(have say oh 3-4 people go in on the hall and build a nice system plus meet)

Anyway just a few ramblings to add.

I have a couple of ideas to encourage more hosting:

Food supplied by the group and not the host.

Donations for the host.

End of the year party for hosts only.

Give the host the option of limiting attendance to the meet.

Rent a space.

The truth of the matter is that we need more hosts, no ifs, ands, or buts. While we have been able to meet each month this year, the number of hosts has dropped dramatically.

If you include this month, Ken hosted three times, Dale hosted three times, and Jim Elmslie his usual May event. That's 7 months hosted by 3 members.

I love going to their places but frankly it's completely unfair when our group consists of over 300 members. That's one percent of the club that is doing 60 percent of the meeting work.

It's time folks to get your spaces in order and host a meet.

Jeff

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

Well here we all are together, a motley lot, eight years down the road, and what do we have to show for it? How could we make it better, or even, do we feel the need for more/better? And what will ensure another year or even, another event?

I like many of you have gained so much, a wealth of friends and acquaintances, most importantly because of our club. My knowledge and interests in so many facets of the hobby have evolved exponentially. I have hosted a couple of events in my home, drug my who kit (minus speakers) to the event we had with Classic Audio and Grumpy, helped out in one way or another with the Ak SMAC rooms, and have carpetbagged my finest vinyls to most all events, and have enjoyed it immensely, and yet, it is time to do more, and it is time to be more.

In one or more ways, each of us, if we really believe in the value of our little club, need to think about what we can do, and how we can give back, and then (actually) take action and contribute. SMAC will only be a reflection of whatever effort we collectively put in, the time is now, to stand up, out of your sweet spot chair, set down the micro-brew, put the tube amps on standby, and be counted my friends!

I for one, want it more/better, the time has come for a serious SMAC DOWN!

Happy Listening! :beatnik:

I would love to host again. We are going through a rough patch at the moment and may be moving soon. I hope to be able to do something again in the spring or early summer. I have only hosted once, but I'd love to do it again.

There's nothing I can do at my place currently, but I'd help in any other way.

I've also said it before, the Host "needs" to do nothing more then provide the
place to have the meet, the group can bring everything needed/wanted, just
like the fest we can have a thread and instead of gear we can mark what it is
everyone is bringing and or should be bringing. (the gather space appreciated)

I can't host, and if the members need to be trimmed for events, I volunteer to
be one of the trimmed so others may attend..

I've been to many meets, usually bring say beer and chips, plus add to the kitty.
(I don't have much to contribute but I try when I can, would do whatever asked)

If someone wants to go together on a hall space I'm in on that, both gear an cash.

Last edited:
There's nothing I can do at my place currently, but I'd help in any other way.

I've also said it before, the Host "needs" to do nothing more then provide the
place to have the meet, the group can bring everything needed/wanted, just
like the fest we can have a thread and instead of gear we can mark what it is
everyone is bringing and or should be bringing. (the gather space appreciated)

I can't host, and if the members need to be trimmed for events, I volunteer to
be one of the trimmed so others may attend..

I've been to many meets, usually bring say beer and chips, plus add to the kitty.
(I don't have much to contribute but I try when I can, would do whatever asked)

If someone wants to go together on a hall space I'm in on that, both gear an cash.
Keg, no one wants to trim anyone! Just the opposite IMHO . Of course if we ever get to the trimming phase, I'm nominating you to do the trimming my friend. You always bring a wealth of knowledge. Hall idea sounds promising.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a central meeting place but a hall may be difficult to sound good, ya it can hold lots of people but sonics might be tough to dial in. In choosing a hall like venue something on the smaller side and acoustic panels that the SMAC club can have at our disposal would be a start. I'm sure we could put together a collective of SMAC gear for a hall meet.

Yah my idea of a hall was like a Knights of Columbus/Elks club type deal
where the halls tend to be of smaller size and many with "furnishings" to.

If we do a hall, we would need a kitty of cash on hand and timely advance notice and regularity, so the staff in charge of procurement wouldn't be strapped to get it together.

Hello, new guy to SMAC here and my first post on AK. I work for a hotel and we have some meeting rooms (either 1 large room or 2 rooms) that can accommodate up to about 100 or so people. I don't know how much they run as I work in a different department but if you guys don't mind making a trip to Jackson and you guys are interested I could find out about it.

Maybe we could have an official opening to our S.M.A.C. meet. At this time we can be introduced to our host and new members. The host could make announcements like: “Do not let the cat out”. We could have a members update, example; health or relocation.

We all tweak and upgrade, at this time, a member could give thumbs up or thumbs down to his latest venture. This would also be a good time for a show and tell of equipment and music that has been brought to the meet.

I believe fifteen to thirty minutes (breif would be better) where we can communicate as a group could be beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom