Smoked meats

Nice looking cook on the goose, for sure!

I smoked a big sirloin tip and 2 pork loins for Easter to go with my wife's killer German potato salad. Unfortunately, no pre-consumption photos.

Nice looking cook on the goose, for sure!

I smoked a big sirloin tip and 2 pork loins for Easter to go with my wife's killer German potato salad. Unfortunately, no pre-consumption photos.
and thankfully no post either:eek:
Seriously though how did you do the sirloin? What temp, wood, how long...?

I got lazy and used a store-bought rub (Weber Dry Smoking Rub - actually not bad...has plenty of sugar for decent bark creation, but not too much salt). Used a Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault along with a Maverick dual probe thermometer for the cook. Mesquite chunks provided the smoke. Cooking temp was about 225°. The pork loins were cooked to an internal temp of 145°, and 130° for the sirloin. Total cooking time was about 3 hours.

I've smoked plenty of chickens and turkeys, but never a goose. What seasoning and wood did you use for your goose?

I got lazy and used a store-bought rub (Weber Dry Smoking Rub - actually not bad...has plenty of sugar for decent bark creation, but not too much salt). Used a Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault along with a Maverick dual probe thermometer for the cook. Mesquite chunks provided the smoke. Cooking temp was about 225°. The pork loins were cooked to an internal temp of 145°, and 130° for the sirloin. Total cooking time was about 3 hours.

I've smoked plenty of chickens and turkeys, but never a goose. What seasoning and wood did you use for your goose?

This is for a wild savoy goose in an electric water smoker. Brine the goose over night then use a rub of Grill Mates Montreal steak, Italian red pepper and ground cumin. I place a 4" sprig of thyme in the cavity along with sauteed onions and celery that's been cooled. This is skin off so I place two pieces of bacon over the breast. I use Mesquite for the wood. I aim for a good red meat no blood. Bring the smoker up to 300 degrees with the goose then get it down to 200 for around 3 hours. Get the goose to 165 degrees internal temperature. I also make a few sweet smoked geese around Christmas time.

This is for a wild savoy goose in an electric water smoker. Brine the goose over night then use a rub of Grill Mates Montreal steak, Italian red pepper and ground cumin. I place a 4" sprig of thyme in the cavity along with sauteed onions and celery that's been cooled. This is skin off so I place two pieces of bacon over the breast. I use Mesquite for the wood. I aim for a good red meat no blood. Bring the smoker up to 300 degrees with the goose then get it down to 200 for around 3 hours. Get the goose to 165 degrees internal temperature. I also make a few sweet smoked geese around Christmas time.
Mmmmmmm!! That sounds amazing. I just drooled all over my keyboard.

That looks awesome Ranchman! I went to order a smoked turkey from Greenberg's in Tyler Texas,(not a lot of smoking of meats here in NYC apartments), to go with the rib roast I made for Easter and they were sold out! I was seriously bummed. My family has been ordering from there since the 80's and this was the first time I got pitched a shutout. There goes my awesome Turducken soup, shot to hell.

That looks awesome Ranchman! I went to order a smoked turkey from Greenberg's in Tyler Texas,(not a lot of smoking of meats here in NYC apartments), to go with the rib roast I made for Easter and they were sold out! I was seriously bummed. My family has been ordering from there since the 80's and this was the first time I got pitched a shutout. There goes my awesome Turducken soup, shot to hell.

That's too bad they were sold out. Love smoked turkey.

Back
Top Bottom