Smoking taken up a notch. (Mr. Pig look away)

sobolan

I've been reading some smoking threads recently and I wanted to share the art of conserving meat for up to three years or more if simple rules are followed.

It involves salting the meat for up to fourteen days in a big vat. The fresh pork in this case is put in a supra saturated sollution of water and salt. The meat has to be completely submerged in the sollution and the temperature is best to be under 10 degree celsius(50F). This year's batch saw -22 celsius (almost -8F).

After these two weeks the meat is taken out, washed with warm water so that the excess salt is washed away.
The next step is putting it inside the smoker unit. It is usually kept there for ten days with one or two smoking sessions evey day. The smoke comes from burning chainsaw sawdust. The best is cerris or hornbeam. DO NOT USE sawdust from conifers.

Temperature is very important here. The smoke MUST be cold. The sawdust must only smoulder and not burn. Heat mustn't reach the meat in any way especially if you are smoking sausages or a kind of haggis made out of pig innards and skins.

This is how ham, looks after a week:WP_20170218_004.jpg

And this is the smoker:WP_20170218_003.jpg

The bottom part where you burn the sawdust is separated from the upper part by two layers of bricks laid in such a way so the smoke will pass freely, but the heat generated is kept under.

The final part. After taking the meat from the smoker it must be dried for 2-2 and a half months. For this you must store it in a dry, dark and well ventilated place at outside temperatures. Care must be taken so no insects, flies or rodents reach it. Mice really enjoy eating ham. Screen door fabric is ideal for insect protection (Cages are made out of it where you keep the meat). In this way the ham (fat, sausages, pastrami, fish, etc) will last for a very long time, even if you cut pieces from it. After a couple of months sausages will become rock hard, but will taste heavenly in a sausage soup or with scrambled eggs.

With this process I smoked everything from pork to fish. Except from salt and smoke no other chemicals or preservatives are used. It is as healthy as pork gets.

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing. That process takes some real dedication. :beerchug:

-Dave

18199015_302081593538636_8920882595761175532_n.jpg

Even the 3 little piggies knew their fate .

I am not being contentious but merely wondering out loud about using chainsaw dust because I have thought about using it myself, however here is my concern. If you are literally referring to a chain saw, my chain saw goes thru a lot of oil for the chain lubrication. My belief is that it is being mixed into the dust, consequently I haven't wanted to use it for smoking food. what are your thoughts?

You can use other kinds of saw dust, it's just a bit more tricky to use if it is finer. From what I observed in using the chainsaw, the excess oil gets thrown away at the tip of the chainsaw blade and there's little left to touch the wood. If you are concerned about it, you can use natural oils for lubrication like thick rapeseed oil to make "bio" smoking sawdust. It won't hurt the chainsaw. Also the top ~2mm of the ham are never eaten

Back
Top Bottom