SMSL M8A and SACD

GChief

Confused about Vinyls
Subscriber
Am I missing something? Bored in my hotel room and have been on the interwebs for awhile searching and can't find an answer.

I have a Pioneer DV-45A>> SMSL M8A >> PAS2. It will play CD's great but put in a SACD and the SMSL says no signal. I currently have it hooked up via Coax. I haven't tried optical out yet. And I won't be home for another month to try. Maybe a setting for the DAC?

:beerchug:

Edit: Forgot some symptom recognition. Works from audio out RCA's.

Last edited:
I don't believe that a Pioneer DV-45A will output SACD/DSD from any of the outputs others than the analog out from the RCA's.

I don't believe that a Pioneer DV-45A will output SACD/DSD from any of the outputs others than the analog out from the RCA's.

I think this is the problem :thumbsup:

I briefly checked my manual and it states:
Connecting using the
multichannel analog outputs
If your AV receiver has 5.1 channel analog
inputs, we recommend connecting this
player to it using the multichannel analog
outputs. Doing this will ensure that you can
enjoy all kinds of disc, including Dolby
Digital and DTS DVD-Video discs, as well as
high sampling rate and multichannel DVDAudio
and SACD discs.

If it is a hybrid disc (SACD/Redbook) you might be able to tell the player to output from the CD layer?

Even when a player supports SACD the native digital format (DSD) stays inside the player for copy-protection reasons. Players can typically convert it to something like 96kHz/24bit PCM so you can use an external DAC (check the player settings), but you can't send DSD which is the format of SACD.

Thanks for the replies! I was figuring it was the output of the DSD. I will play with it a little when I get back in a few weeks. BTW I only own 1 SACD so no big deal. I picked up the Pioneer to see if CD's sounded any better than my newish $80 Samsung BR Player, not really :cool:. I will compare a little more and since I live in a tiny house I will probably end up giving the Pioneer to one of the kids at work.

:beerchug:

With an SMSL M8A, DSD is only processed via the USB port. I looked high and low for a possibility of running an adapter from my BD59's HDMI out
to the USB in of the SMSL. Either you have DSD files on your HDD of a computer and process it through your SMSL using Foobar or J River. There are
drivers to be used and the bottom line for me was to get a YAMAHA receiver that would take the HDMI direct and process SACD's DSD. Yamaha RX-V861 will process DSD direct and output 2 channel or multi channel. The receiver is 12 years old when I bought it via a Goodwill auction for $42. dollars. I am not implying that buying another receiver will solve your problem but finding an adapter to feed DSD to your SMSL may be something that needs further research.
For processing DTS, 24/96 recordings, SMSL works fine as a stand alone. Regards and much luck with your SACD.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom