SMSL SA-98E: What is the dark magic?!?!

I don't know what I can do, I got it from Massdrop. Do you all not hear a hiss at all? Even with your ear near the speaker?

I have mine at about 60 percent of the time, controlling volume with my computer at work. It’s dead silent.

I got the SA-98E and I have to say I am disappointed with the amount of hiss on the amp. Significantly more than my TPA3116-based amps. It does seem to have a bit more bass, but the hiss.

I remember you mentioning you're using some ridiculously efficient speakers, which probably plays a large part in the amount of hiss you're hearing. Are you also using splitters or switch boxes for multiple sources? Those can usually add noise as well.

No switchboxes. This happens without a source, so that removes that variable.

Yes, I am using 98db Klipsch towers. I can hear hiss/noice from the horns and from the woofers. I can hear it a lot when I am right next to them, but can hear it from 8+feet away if I listen carefully and it is quiet.

It does not get louder with volume, is that a clue to the cause?

I emailed Massdrop asking about a return/replacement. Please let me know if this might be what I should expect. I'd love to have no hiss, but if this is what I'll get, I don't want to replace it and be in the same place.

I just did some more testing, I removed everything else, including a power strip. Just the power brick, amp, speaker wire and speakers. Still same hiss.

I also hooked up a 87db speaker and hear the hiss. (at least with my ear by it)

Thank you all for helping me understand this, I don't have anyone local to discuss this with and I appreciate your help.

Looks like a minor artifact of the total system, plus your sensitivity to it. I honestly doubt exchanging it would make much difference.

More testing, same speaker, cables, no source, but changing amps.

I hear differing amounts of hiss depending on the amp, from the most to the least hiss...

SMSL SA-98E (hiss does not change with volume)
Breeze TPA3116, single chip, no gain mod (hiss does change with volume)
Breeze TPA3116, dual chip, gain mod (hiss does not change with volume)
Tube Cube 7, SET tube amp

This is frustrating!

I am not sure what I can do about the SMSL. I also see I should perform the gain mod on the single chip Breeze.

The bigger issue is that I see a large difference in hiss between the 4 amps. I hear many times the hiss in the SMSL than the dual-chip Breeze. That is with everything else, including the outlet, kept the same.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it. I'm also trying to document this hear for the benefit of others.

If its line noise, an amp with more gain would produce more hiss at the speakers. I didn't look at the specs to compare.

If its line noise, an amp with more gain would produce more hiss at the speakers. I didn't look at the specs to compare.

Also more volume should produce more hiss, correct? That is why I am not following the logic that it is line noise.

I follow your thought. My thinking is , its where the noise is being introduced. That is, However noise makes it to the amp section, the amp is wide open to its gain and that's it. A line signal is entering the amp at a different point. Unless you're line noise was introduced through a preamp, its a fixed level (its all the amp will ever see) The input for signal can vary.
Does that make sense?

I think it makes sense, but I think that the SMSL having a higher noise floor is more logical and likely. This isn't 60Hz noise and I didn't have almost anything else in the house on. Not even lights, as it was mid-day.

It might in fact have a high noise floor. I have no experience with them. Also most of my speakers are 92 or less efficiency . The 3116 amps i have i haven't tried with my 98 db speakers.

Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it!

I'm sending the SMSL back. I got a TPA3250-based FXAUDIO FX502SPRO for half the price and a lot lower noise floor from what I am hearing so far.

Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it!

I'm sending the SMSL back. I got a TPA3250-based FXAUDIO FX502SPRO for half the price and a lot lower noise floor from what I am hearing so far.

I just got the FX502SPRO myself. I don't hear any hiss from my listening position and only a slight amount with my ear up to the tweeter. Have 97db ZU Audio speakers.

using a SMSL SA-98E for quite some years, guess 7 years? sthg like that.

first as additional 2 channels for my old AVR
as i back then changed systems, i had a few amps on hand
1x 375. 2x 214 and the smsl, so i made a blindtest with my wife

NAD 214 vs C 375 vs SMSL SA-98E

smsl definitely did beat the big C 375, i could not believe that.
wife also did rate the same (not so much into sound quality)

the ranking was:

1) 214
2) SMSL
3) 375 (sold it then straight away)

the latest AHAAA experience:
recently exchanged the 214 with a sonos connect amp
perhaps i didnt take enough time, but i could hear a difference between
the old NAD 214 and the tiny sonos amp ( so comfy it is with wifi :D )

the SMSL is still in use in my workshop for fireing 2 old big JBL speakers and does a good job
definitely a recommendation from my side!

I tried the 98E and sent it back. I've been much happier with the TPA-based amps. There are several of the TPA3251 and TPA3255-based amps that sound amazing, have a low noise floor, and are cheap. I'd recommend giving them a shot. The last one I got was the Aiyima TPA3251 based amp, you can find it on ebay and ali express.

I haven't tried the SA300 yet, but was considering it. I have too many mini amps now :)

Great thanks for the replies. I just emailed someone selling a SMSL 98e used and asked them about the hiss. They said its a fantastic amp but they hadn't noticed any hiss but they would try again. They got back to me, they said yes there was some very low-level hiss which you could hear if you put your ear to the speaker but it didn't increase with volume. I did have the smaller SMSL 50 and I have to say that was an impressive tiny amplifier, but I did think I needed just a tad more power. I didn't notice any hiss on that one either but it might have had some. Perhaps I'm expecting too much from these pocket amplifiers, a bit of audible noise soon gets lost in the music anyway. But I'll keep looking around to see if there any others which may fit the bill.

The chip in the 98e is rather old. I'd recommend trying the TPA3251 or TPA3255 if you need more power. They have better sound quality.

Back
Top Bottom