So is Buffering Dropouts the Norm for Streaming?

Many things can contribute to buffering and bandwidth.
  • The source can have problems with keeping up with demand.
  • The ISP could be having difficulty keeping up with demand
  • Inadequate or incorrect cable signal strength (i.e., need for additional attenuation - sometimes cable signals are far too strong for a specific cable modem)
  • The computing unit (streaming box, PC, etc.) can be choking on all of the demands on its processing power (slow CPU, slow hardware, excessive number of running processes/services, etc.)
  • LAN/WIFI incompatibilities or limitations (i.e., demand, signal strength, etc.)
  • Heavy competition for utilized WIFI channel(s)
  • Interference from other equipment using frequency ranges around 2.4 & 5 GHz
There are more possibilities, but those are the heaviest hitters.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
I had a Sony blueray/wi-fi/deck that was supposed to be able to stream but didn't. It was slow I guess. All the time I had it I thought it was the incoming stream signal or my setup.
Wasn't. I got another Sony deck of a newer design that solved all the problems. Some days granted streaming is not so good. But some days it'll knock your sock off.
Going through several hours of movies on Netflix without so much as a blip. Really great.
I can't say it all up to the deck but it may be.

So what is the speedtest saying? that should be the first thing you do. You could also plug your computer directly into your modem and access the modem through its I.P. address, usually just 192.168.100.1 in the address bar, this will tell you your signal levels at the modem and if you need to get your ISP out to fix something.. Let me know if you feel like going that far and I can tell you what the numbers should be..

I downloaded speedtest app.
Tested few times by router. Consistantly
ping 13ms; download 29.56mbps; upload 6.21mbps
Tested in basement where used: Some variation:
ping 13 and 19ms; download 27.19 to 30.26mbps; upload 6.17 to 6.42 mbps

Took more readings in basement music room. Consistant readings:
ping 13ms; download in 29.50's mbps

There shouldn't he any issues if that speed is consistent, but are you running this on a phone? you said speedtest app, could be different on your computer or laptop you are using for streaming.

I downloaded speedtest app.
Tested few times by router. Consistantly
ping 13ms; download 29.56mbps; upload 6.21mbps
Tested in basement where used: Some variation:
ping 13 and 19ms; download 27.19 to 30.26mbps; upload 6.17 to 6.42 mbps

The ISP numbers look fine. That's not the problem.

• The computing unit (streaming box, PC, etc.) can be choking on all of the demands on its processing power (slow CPU, slow hardware, excessive number of running processes/services, etc.)
  • LAN/WIFI incompatibilities or limitations (i.e., demand, signal strength, etc.)
Those get my vote. Older devices can stutter on streaming, no doubt about it. For older computers, I find that the lack of sufficient RAM causes a lot of problems--memory has to swap out to disk often, and that extra processing and delay can cause any number of problems. I've built my computers with a minimum 16GB of RAM, but even my laptop with 8GB rarely has an issue.

WiFi signal strength can vary even by inches. If I need wireless coverage in another area, I buy a cheap wireless router locally (dirt cheap on Craigslist), load the DD-WRT firmware, and add it as a wireless access point. Not perfect, but for the minimal outlay in cash it can work really well.

Yes, downloaded Ookla speedtest ap on smartphone. It gave no readings during a dropout. Said communication issue.
Wildcat, Having dropouts on laptop when it sits three feet from router.

Jeffrey,
The dropouts are not a constant thing. Maybe won't happen in a couple hours or every few minutes. Llistening to a laptop speaker that long, personally would be torture. But of course you are right. That would be easier. Thanks for suggestion. May do that.
I'm suspecting the major longer duration disruptions are when laptop is updating in background
If your laptop has a hard drive, not an SSD, don't use laptop speakers if you can avoid it.

I've had drop outs on some websites (buffering & what not) and not others. Some days would be fine & others not so much. Use to use WiFi

Currently using Ethernet connection from cable modem to Laptop. More reliable ... less drop outs than before .. but it still occasionally happens.

E
I've had drop outs on some websites (buffering & what not) and not others. Some days would be fine & others not so much. Use to use WiFi

Currently using Ethernet connection from cable modem to Laptop. More reliable ... less drop outs than before .. but it still occasionally happens.

Ethernet snaking would be problematic for me. Router on main floor and streamer in basement that is fully drywalled.

E

Ethernet snaking would be problematic for me. Router on main floor and streamer in basement that is fully drywalled.

Understood ... it wasn't a miracle worker for me ... just some what better than before. My impression was WiFi was not too bad overall YMMV.

Speed tests with additional diagnostics reporting would be in order: re-transmitted packet count, dropped packets, rt latency, etc. Streaming requires consistency, not only speeds during test bursting.

Enjoy,
Rich P

There used to be a utility called inSSIDer that could run on a computer or tablet/smartphone that could show various wireless parameters, but it does require some networking knowledge to make use of. (I am thinking it might be a paid program now--there used to be free versions out there.) I used it to help choose specific wireless channels to use within the house, including both 2.4 and 5.0 bands. It was also interesting to watch as signal strengths drifted over short amounts of time, while sitting in one place.

Speed tests with additional diagnostics reporting would be in order: re-transmitted packet count, dropped packets, rt latency, etc. Streaming requires consistency, not only speeds during test bursting.
I also don't consider a WiFi signal to be constant--it is much like a TV or FM radio, where you may get good reception one moment, then have it start fading the next. So I could check my signal right now, but later this evening in the same spot it could be an entirely different story. But overall, inSSIDer (or similar) could at least tell where there are general "dead spots" in terms of signal strength, and help to find a location that might have a better chance at not dropping packets, etc. There are even simple WiFi signal detectors for smartphones that I have walked around the house with, checking the strength of the access points to see if I had ample coverage.

Think I have pushed my pedestrian internet skills to todays limit. Tomorrow will see about getting router to slightly more accessible location. Ethernet to streemer may not be possible solution.
Thanks to all posters.

I'll put this out there and then let it to rest it sounds like were just putting way too many possibilities out there, You can download an android app just called wifi analyzer, I use this sometimes at work, it well tell you what channel everyone is around you and the signal strength. Look at all the channels and set yours to a channel away from them. I'm guessing you know how to do this but if not type in 192.168.1.1 in your browser, I think you said its a Linksys, so user name and password are both admin. I totally forgot my boss gave me a trilithic wifi analyzer meter, gotta mess around with it, sometimes this stuff is fun other times a pain..

Back
Top Bottom