So Tell me about A Nagaoka MP-11 Boron

Stanton681EEES

Addicted Member
Picked one of these up needs a new stylus, is it worth getting one for this? How does it sound?
I see the guy in Germany that sells on fleabay has NOS styluses for these.
Cantilever is intact but missing the tip. Almost tempted to send it to Soundsmith for a re-tip upgrade.
I love the look of the body on this thing, looks well made.
Thanks.

I have a couple of them, I really liked the first one, so I got a 2nd cart with a bent cantilever, but it snapped at the slightest touch. I didn't know it could be retipped, I thought that was just M/C carts.
I swap from the MP-11 to a Shure V-15, just real easy to listen to.

I would call Soundsmith , or email Peter Lederer there. Nagaoka has a good rep , and I would think a re-tip would be a sound move-although I think you should continue checking around.

I have 2 MP-11 Borons. I have heard both the MP11 and the Boron is much much better of a cartridge. The highs are more present and the bass is far deeper and smoother.

I love the sound of the MP11-Boron. It's not a flat sounding cartridge but it's a great sound!! Blooming bottom, clean non fatiguing highs. Still my favorite cartridge over my other carts:

Shure V15 Type IV w/SAS and Original
Accuphase AC-1 MC
Denon DL-103 <---Awesome MC for the $$
AT440MLa
Grado Black

Just a personal preference thing. Others would choos a few off my list long before the MP11 Boron but I just love the sound. Kinda like those die hard Grado guys. I would totaly send it to Soundsmith for a line contact stylus. Make sure you keep the original cantilever if you can. They are getting harder and harder to find the Boron ones.

Back
Top Bottom