So You Want To Repair Audio gear, Eh? Here's the tools you need...

don't forget a five pound maul (hammer) pummel equipment that frustrates
you to no end before you decide it ain't worth fixing :yes:

Nice thread! On the dummy load, i've been meaning to get one for testing amplifiers for ages now. Is it safe to just use the 4/8 ohm resistor as the load? Or do you need to have inductance aswell?
For troubleshooting, a simple resistive load is fine and all that is really necessary.

Oscillator vs Function Generator

Which would be more useful: Simple sine wave oscillator or a function generator (sine, square, etc)? Oscillators seem to be cheaper and more accurate, is that why they are preferred over more full featured units?

My most used test equipment besides hand tools and soldering iron and DMM is my signal tracer, easy to probe through a circuit and hear whats going on. If its stereo, you can hear the difference between channels, or find where your signal is distorted, or where the level falls off, ect. Just get a good one, most are ok but some have small cheap speakers in them so use a external speaker or get one with a good speaker in it, I use a tube unit which has a high input resistance which dosent load down the circuit.

Which would be more useful: Simple sine wave oscillator or a function generator (sine, square, etc)? Oscillators seem to be cheaper and more accurate, is that why they are preferred over more full featured units?
Don't use square waves too often. I'd prefer a decent oscillator...function generators usually shape a sine wave from a square wave through filters and the resultant sine wave is less than ideal.

Under EW's very first post about tools for us newbies, he comments about not having auto-ranging on a multi-meter for rookies?

Although there was a comment about being forced to learn is the auto-range units assumed more expensive, therefore stay with the cheaper units?? I'm looking at an Ideal auto-range unit for $35 which is about as much as I want to spend.

Also there is some confusion that some testers may not have capacitance capabilities? What is the hfe function?

Last edited:
I prefer autoranging meters. Saves time and hassle. But you're unlikely to find a new one in your price range.

Capacitance is a throwaway feature. Meh...

Hfe is transistor DC gain. Lots of cheap meters include this function.

The brand is "Ideal" and it's an autoranging model for $35.

Of course, it's made in China, like almost everything nowadays.

I might as well dive in and see what it does!

After reading this thread I went and bought a nice Tektronix 465B, watching a lot of YouTube videos on how to use a scope I have a pretty good handle on it, I also picked up a cheap function generator and intend to use it to test out my creations.

Threads like this make AK what it is, thanks Echowars and everyone else.

i have most of the list except the scope. i also like to use my insulated screwdriver.

Last edited:
I have noticed the recommended scope is usually 100MHz. Is there a reason for this value? I have a Hitachi V-152F that is a 2 channel 15Mhz. Is this good enough?

Prolly good 'nuf. The bandwidth of the scope is essentially the 'window' that you have into the world of the gear you're working on. I like a wide window.

.... I also picked up a cheap function generator and intend to use it to test out my creations.

Function generators usually have a distortion greater than 1%. That's because all that I've seen start out as a square wave generator and then convert the square wave into a sine/triangle wave. It's perfectly fine to use a function generator as long as you don't need to measure distortion.

You can build a great low distortion oscillator for a few dollars. See post number nine hereOscillaotr link Make sure to read note 4 on the first page. Also click on the HP200 oscillator link.

Lastly, everyone should have a nice rack

Last edited:
How about a Fluke 83 for this Work

Hi Guys,

Found a Fluke 83 for sale, price seems reasonable, if no issues. Best I can tell this thing will check capacitance, diodes, and do anything a beginner like me should need. Am I on the right track here?

Mike

I was lucky in that I was given a 20mhz Tenma scope. Literally, it was given to me. My grandfather knew someone looking to get rid of it...next thing I know, I have a scope. I don't know if he gave anything for it (he's got a habit of buying stuff for me then telling me he didn't pay anything for it). Its not a horrible scope...accurate enough for audio work. I used it to check the output of my soundcard, which gave me clean accurate waveforms all the way to 48khz.

On the subject of Harbor Freight meters; I bought one of their premium $50 meters. Autosensing with temp probes, light sensors and will measure just about anything I could want (excluding HFE, which honestly, my Wavetek that looks similar to the one you posted will do...if I ever needed it). But, anyway, the one I have will light the proper jack for the function you're using. If its not connected or connected improperly...it beeps at you.

Its become my favorite meter despite its cheap brand name. I compared it with the True RMs Wavetek in the shop and they're both about as accurate. Also love the fact it will tell me the ambient temp and R.H. of the room.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

Hi Guys,

Found a Fluke 83 for sale, price seems reasonable, if no issues. Best I can tell this thing will check capacitance, diodes, and do anything a beginner like me should need. Am I on the right track here?

Mike
Fluke made the 83 for years...there's many different versions. I seem to recall that a few had issues with the display getting funky, but I can't recall which one. At any rate, if the price is right, I'd certainly go for it.

On the subject of Harbor Freight meters; I bought one of their premium $50 meters.... I compared it with the True RMs Wavetek in the shop and they're both about as accurate. Also love the fact it will tell me the ambient temp and R.H. of the room.

The Harbor Freight meter is likely an average responding meter, calibrated to read the RMS value of a sine wave. It's fine if all you want to read is sine waves. If you use it to measure something like the AC current into a power supply (which is not a sine wave) it will readd low.

Fluke made the 83 for years...there's many different versions. I seem to recall that a few had issues with the display getting funky, but I can't recall which one. At any rate, if the price is right, I'd certainly go for it.

The early Fuke 70 and 80 series used to get resistive connections between the PCB and the display. It could usually be fixed with a pencil eraser on the contacts. There was a repair kit at one time that Fluke shipped out no charge.

Back
Top Bottom