So you want to understand Stylus Shapes? Try this!

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by ehoove, Aug 14, 2018.

1. marcmorin

marcmorin AK Subscriber Subscriber

Good catch, i pointed that out in another thread. I also pointed out in row A they show a circular contact patch, but in D they show a vertical ellipse. cute trick without being a hyperbolic cut to keep .2 or .3, or .4mil in the vertical

Pio1980 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Nashou66

Nashou66 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Its the vertical radius that is making the extra contact. Or another way of stating it its getting deeper in the groove while still keeping contact
    further up the groove toward the top.While a conical does not. Also the width of a conical stylus will get a little info before and after the actual point in time
    of what should be picked up by the coils.
    Whilst the Elliptical and higher end micro lines will get less before and after info coloring the main information retrieval point in the groove.
    This is why they sound more detailed, there is less fainter stray signals getting mixed with the signal meant to be retrieved at a specific point in time .

Here you can see what i mean by the fine point of contact at a specific point in time made by the micro ridge compared to the original cutter head and the Conicals.
    The Micro ridge is closest to what the cutter stylus carved out of the master stamping plate.

But look at the elliptical, there contact area is less but the point in time is more precise.

[​IMG]

Here look at the side view row. The micro ridge friction area is more precise in the groove location at a certain point in time and also taller , therefore
    touching more of the grove in the top to bottom plane. Look at the L' values .

[​IMG]

Make sense ;)

Athanasios

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  3. ripblade

ripblade Super Member

Yes. The numbers in that chart make more sense.