Solo - A Star Wars Story

SoCal Sam

Lunatic Member
The blogosphere battle for Solo is out of control. Check out the over-whelmingly positive comments in this "official" fan video.

Contrast that to just about every other geek previewer and the posted comments which are forecasting doom and gloom. Personally, I lost interest after Force Awakens. I could not watch it a second time. Rogue One was better but I also could not watch it a second time. I skipped Last Jedi altogether and do not feel I missed anything. Even the "defeminized" fan edit of TLJ is horrible.

The blogosphere battle for Solo is out of control. Check out the over-whelmingly positive comments in this "official" fan video.

Contrast that to just about every other geek previewer and the posted comments which are forecasting doom and gloom. Personally, I lost interest after Force Awakens. I could not watch it a second time. Rogue One was better but I also could not watch it a second time. I skipped Last Jedi altogether and do not feel I missed anything. Even the "defeminized" fan edit of TLJ is horrible.

The Force Awakens, 15 minutes in I knew I was going to be disappointed. Rogue One I liked much better, it had some content. I did watch it again but it was "I guess I'll watch that." since it was on Netflix or Prime anyway. (Also known as bored scrolling.) Did not bother with TLJ, it will be on one of our subscriptions soon so why bother? Most telling, a friend who is a Stars Wars nerd since the 70's went. Not heard a peep about it from him since. For this one, I don't know. Getting pretty stingy on what films we'll spend for Lux level seating on and doubt it makes the cut. It's built-in that somewhere Solo will shoot first, likely to comic and bad effect. I like a lot of Ron Howard's work but there is an equal number I don't. Need to go back to Cinderella Man in 2005 to find one. Unless I hear otherwise it will be seen in my living room and not the theater.

I watched both "Rogue One" and "The Last Jedi" this weekend online. TLJ was a $0.99 first time 4K rental on VUDU. I've seen both before and will see them again, as I enjoyed both, especially "Rogue One"

FWIW, I think TLJ hints at life after SW9 as there's no way Disney will bag the franchise after introducing all these new characters.

That being said, "Solo" is a supposed train wreck surpassing the letdown of TPM.
I may wait for streaming to see that one...

I am a little worried about this latest Star Wars offering. First, the last movie (TLJ) was the worst in the series since the introduction of Jar Jar. Second, I read they had to bring in an acting coach halfway through production for the lead character. Doesn't matter what I or anyone else says, we all know we'll see it eventually.

Of the three Disney-era SW films so far, Rogue One stands as the only one I'd call a good movie on its own merits.

TFA bnefitted from tremendous excitement and good will, but was pretty "meh" when it was all said and done.

TLJ was in some regards better than TFA, but it also had some glaring problems as a motion picture. Worse, between the diminished halo of Star Wars' return and the intense wailing and gnashing of teeth by white supremicists and misogynists, I believe that the film has been given short shrift in the cultural narrative.

Solo... Thoughts on Solo... Well, I'm really excited to see Donald Glover as Lando and explore a corner of the SW universe not yet delved into on film, away from the centers of galactic power, the Republic, the Sith, the Jedi, the Rebellion, etc.

On the other hand, their lead actor has all the charisma of Elmer's paste, the visuals are a murkfest, the action looks entirely unrelenting, and the big sequence looks to be a train robbery, complete with fight on top *yawn*. Throw in the words, "troubled production", and I'm planning to enjoy Solo by setting my expectations really, really low.

Can't be worse than the prequel trilogy, though, amiright?

Last edited:
First, the last movie (TLJ) was the worst in the series since the introduction of Jar Jar.

Statements like this bother me (call me "triggered", if you're prone to that kind of pronouncement).

For this to be true, you'd have to believe that The Last Jedi was a worse motion picture than Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith. These films were (especially with distance) so unbelievably bad, so broken, that it's hard to believe they were released by a major studio. If you're saying TLJ was worse, I have to wonder if we watched the same film.

Statements like this bother me (call me "triggered", if you're prone to that kind of pronouncement).

For this to be true, you'd have to believe that The Last Jedi was a worse motion picture than Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith. These films were (especially with distance) so unbelievably bad, so broken, that it's hard to believe they were released by a major studio. If you're saying TLJ was worse, I have to wonder if we watched the same film.

This is an enjoyable 8 minutes. I would have enjoyed seeing these films vs what was released -

Of the three Disney-era SW films so far, Rogue One stands as the only one I'd call a good movie on its own merits.

TFA bnefitted from tremendous excitement and good will, but was pretty "meh" when it was all said and done.

TLJ was in some regards better than TFA, but it also had some glaring problems as a motion picture. Worse, between the diminished halo of Star Wars' return and the intense wailing and gnashing of teeth by white supremicists and misogynists, I believe that the film has been given short shrift in the cultural narrative.

Solo... Thoughts on Solo... Well, I'm really excited to see Donald Glover as Lando and explore a corner of the SW universe not yet delved into on film, away from the centers of galactic power, the Republic, the Sith, the Jedi, the Rebellion, etc.

On the other hand, their lead actor has all the charisma of Elmer's paste, the visuals are a murkfest, the action looks entirely unrelenting, and the big sequence looks to be a train robbery, complete with fight on top *yawn*. Throw in the words, "troubled production", and I'm planning to enjoy Solo by setting my expectations really, really low.

Can't be worse than the prequel trilogy, though, amiright?

I agree with almost all except on whether the prequels or the new Disney movies are the worst. They are all equally bad. Great movies get better with each viewing. For me, the Matrix got better and better with each viewing. Inception and Interstellar were the same for me as well. While I was curious enough to see TFA and RO in the theater and even enjoyed the experience, a second viewing of both were impossible. There were too many stupid and implausible plot lines and action sequences. The prequels suffered from this as well. On a side note, how good would a Christopher Nolan Star Wars trilogy be? Say what you will about Batman, Nolan's films were well made and made sense. Gravity director Alfonso Cauron would have been a great choice as well. He knows how to choreograph a space scene, something that none of the Star Wars movies are any good at.

A total snoozefest. I can't stand his movies. Dunkirk had to be the worst movie I have seen this year- what a dribble-fest of crap.

No, sorry, I lied. Downsizing was the worst- I pulled the plug on that and went to bed.

I missed Dunkirk. Did the British get away again? Did the Germans bumble again??

I'm getting the feeling that Alden Ehr... eh, r... that guy's Solo will be like Chris Pine's latter-day Capt. Kirk, which did nothing for me. Leading men are not as they were back in the day... show up to set with a weathered voice and a few RL scars and I'll be more interested. And these are characters which demand leading men (young prequel versions or not).

OTOH, a friend has found me a free pass for his company's Thursday preview viewing of Solo, so I'm all in, good or bad.

Back
Top Bottom