Solvent for fossilized plumbers putty?

Ain't retro-fitting ancient plumbing to modern standards fun? :confused: Done it way too many times on pretty much every home I have ever owned--at a certain point, I just get pissed off enough and end up tearing up walls and floors and just completely replacing it--especially if it is old black iron. I had an upstairs bathroom (with all new fixtures and plumbing), but the hot water supply line running through the wall was so corroded/clogged with deposits that there was near zero water pressure--had to replace it the whole way from the basement to the upstairs bathroom--inside useable diameter of the inside of the pipe was the size of a drinking straw--in with the new copper!
The pipes are galvanized here, so much of the plumbing in this house has gotten a bit iffy. If the flow gets bad enough, the city inspector actually requires owners to upgrade the plumbing to correct it.

Our tub drain kept clogging, and had really poor flow. I ended up removing the old galvanized pipe (which was quite black and scaly inside) and replaced it all with new PVC, all the way to the stack. Other than hair in the strainer, that thing probably hasn't flowed so well in decades! I think I was out a whole $12 in materials for that one. ;)

Back
Top Bottom