Some basic streaming questions

mcp1

I have been using Sonos for several years and have enjoyed it’s intuitive app. My primary source for Music is Tidal Hifi, with a smattering of Sirius, my own rips, and internet radio. What's bothering me is that Sonos doesn't allow me to take advantage of hi-rez.

I was thinking about changing network players in my main rig (Hegel H80 feeding Ryan R610 speakers). I don't need another DAC as the Hegel has that covered. Any suggestions for a network player, w/o DAC, that might possibly have native access to Tidal? The main system is in a living room and I don't want to have a laptop or PC hooked up to it - so I would need a decent app for Android or iPad. Admittedly, I am not an expert when it comes to streaming and PC audio...any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Raspberry PI platform with your choice of sound card. I use an Allo DigiOne with mine. Plays 192/24 and DSD (depending upon DAC) along with Tidal and other services using LMS.

The Tidal app works with a Chromecast Audio, doesn't it? And since you already have a DAC in place, you can bypass the DAC in the Chromecast.

The Chromecast device becomes just a means of accessing music content provided there is an app.

I have been using Sonos for several years and have enjoyed it’s intuitive app. My primary source for Music is Tidal Hifi, with a smattering of Sirius, my own rips, and internet radio. What's bothering me is that Sonos doesn't allow me to take advantage of hi-rez.

I was thinking about changing network players in my main rig (Hegel H80 feeding Ryan R610 speakers). I don't need another DAC as the Hegel has that covered. Any suggestions for a network player, w/o DAC, that might possibly have native access to Tidal? The main system is in a living room and I don't want to have a laptop or PC hooked up to it - so I would need a decent app for Android or iPad. Admittedly, I am not an expert when it comes to streaming and PC audio...any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
This goes beyond ordinary PC audio files because you are using Tidal MQA rather than a typical hi rez file. From my understanding, you either need an MQA enabled device or you need a computer in the mix for passing through the unraveled file. I am definitely not an expert, but I would recommend looking into a player that can handle MQA.

Back
Top Bottom