Some. Crazy boomboxes pics

merdy, once I had the Bang&Olufsen Beosystem 10 (your pic # 4). I have tons of Beo gear, most of it ist exciting, but this item was a huge disappointment. The sound quality was tremendously poor.

Ohh that telefunken looks awesome,actually I only heard a few as I was not a big fan of boomboxes,it was strictly business,I probably sold over 300 lasonic ones,I did see some technics ones that actually sounds decent ,never heard the b&o .

Pretty sure I posted this in another thread, but what the heck. Boomboxes are fun!
Wanted one of these pretty bad as a teen. Got this one a few months ago. Goodwill.

(web-sourced pic)
125653712.hjNGVuCT.DSC_0103.JPG

I also had one of these for many years... The tape deck finally gave up, and I let it got at a yard sale about 11 years ago, cheap... Should'a kept it! They appear to be quite popular... ;-)

I had that Magnavox, got it at Sears on markdown because the FM Stereo function didn't work. I took it apart after I got a Quasar all-in-one. I still have the Quasar but would rather have the Magnavox!

The rule of thumb back then was the bigger, the gaudier, the better. But I had forgotten their were a few with built in turntables. I use to visit the shops as I walked by. that sold the brutes and I don't remember ones with TT's until these pictures.

I have the classic Lasonic TRC-931 that I picked up for next to nothing locally. Replaced the belts and cleaned/lubed the unit. I thought about selling it to buy a Thorens TT, but my wife told me to hang on to it.

View attachment 1279243

Good call, it's probably a lot easier to find a Thorens. Your wife sounds cool, that boom box is great decoration if not the world's best stereo. I never went to any big urban areas in the US when boomboxes were still a thing. A friend of mine from school moved to NYC, and when he first moved there, he told me that boom boxes were all over the subway and outdoors. He said at first it was very entertaining to see life looking like TV, but it soon became really annoying to have all the noise in public. Me being a suburban kid growing up in the 80s, a boom box was something everyone wanted, but nobody ever put batteries in it and carried it outside, it was always on a shelf somewhere. We called them ghettoblasters though, only catalogs used the term boom box. Whenever I use that term these days, people who weren't around then look at me like I said something offensive.

Second batch
View attachment 1279057
Enjoy,and what were they thinking!!!

I first saw a boombox with a TV built in when I was in third or fourth grade. It must have been around ‘82 or ‘83. I was soooo very jealous of the kid that was able to watch TV wherever and whenever he wanted. I can’t imagine the batteries lasted too long though.

For what it’s worth, I’ve picked up a few boom boxes from that era in the past year. Nothing too fancy, but I enjoy listening to ball games on them.

Last edited:
My favorite boombox story comes from when I worked in an electronics store back inthe early 80's. it was in a rugged neighborhood where folks would buy stuff on lay-a-way, paying $5 a week or so until they could pay off the item they wanted. This rather large, soft spoken young man bought a boombox and paid off his tab every week. Several weeks later he cameback into the store and says he needs to order another box. I asked what happened to the one he just bought. His response was that he got mugged and they wanted his radio. I said did you give it up? No, was his response, "I broke it over his head."

My boss sold him the next one at cost........

Hahah great story,I loved going to crazy Eddie,nobody beets the wiz ,and all the surpluses shops on canal st ,j&r was fun as well
Another company from the U.K. Made some awful boomboxes and computers called amstrad
Pic from web
IMG_1022.JPG

Awesome! I've got a Sharp GF-777 that is in the shop,I'll post some pics when I get her back.

My GF-575, the "little" brother, resides in storage. Everything on it is broken, but I cannot throw it away. Even the damned radio quit when I sprayed INDUSTRIAL switch cleaner into the selector switch and melted the housing. DAMMIT.

Lord, the tunes I heard through that magnificent beast.

My GF-575, the "little" brother, resides in storage. Everything on it is broken, but I cannot throw it away. Even the damned radio quit when I sprayed INDUSTRIAL switch cleaner into the selector switch and melted the housing. DAMMIT.

Lord, the tunes I heard through that magnificent beast.
I love em just because they're "portable" and ridiculously huge.

Back
Top Bottom