Some. Crazy boomboxes pics

These things are a guilty pleasure. The retro feel is so much fun. Here's my favorite boomer. It also image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg has RCA outs which allows me to use it as a tuner into better equipment. Oddly enough, some stations come in better on this than on my much more expensive tuners. The other pic is not of a boombox technically, but it is retro and I felt like posting it. That lime green is sick.

I have a few of those little sharp minis... QT212 black, a New In Box QT-V5 Blue and one in that light green one - looks like it had been in the ghettos

I had a boom box once my cousin destroyed it and never replaced it , claimed he wanted to burrow it a week or two . R.I.P.:(
Loved that thing sounded good for radio.
Right now I’m broke we’re do you find them ?
Today’s boom boxes look like a giant single bookshelf speaker lol

And we wonder why there was a loss of interest in high fidelity sound in the 80's. Between these, the Sony Walkman, and later, the iPod.....a whole generation of kids and young adults never knew what quality music reproduction sounded like.

And we wonder why there was a loss of interest in high fidelity sound in the 80's. Between these, the Sony Walkman, and later, the iPod.....a whole generation of kids and young adults never knew what quality music reproduction sounded like.
Boomboxes, the Sony Walkman, and the iPod became popular because a whole generation of kids and young adults preferred small LoFi portability to big HiFi quality, despite growing up through the 70's quality home stereo boom. They certainly knew what quality music reproduction sounded like, but their preference was for musical convenience and portability rather than sound quality.

We prefer quality to convenience, so we keep quality hifi alive, but we're the minority. The majority still prefer musical convenience over sound quality, which is why they buy mobile phones, earbuds, and Bluetooth speakers instead of quality hifi systems.

Boomboxes, the Sony Walkman, and the iPod became popular because a whole generation of kids and young adults preferred small LoFi portability to big HiFi quality, despite growing up through the 70's quality home stereo boom. They certainly knew what quality music reproduction sounded like, but their preference was for musical convenience and portability rather than sound quality.

We prefer quality to convenience, so we keep quality hifi alive, but we're the minority. The majority still prefer musical convenience over sound quality, which is why they buy mobile phones, earbuds, and Bluetooth speakers instead of quality hifi systems.
I guess I was thinking of my son's age group. He was born in 1980 and is now 37. He is a child of the Walkman era, and although there was quality hifi in the house, he was never the least bit interested in it. Video games and portable music were all he cared about. And he carried both of those into his adult years. Most people his age had no significant experience with current (at the tme) pop music played through a quality system.

I guess I was thinking of my son's age group. He was born in 1980 and is now 37. He is a child of the Walkman era, and although there was quality hifi in the house, he was never the least bit interested in it. Video games and portable music were all he cared about. And he carried both of those into his adult years. Most people his age had no significant experience with current (at the tme) pop music played through a quality system.
You say "although there was quality hifi in the house, he was never the least bit interested in it."

I think that confirms my point: even when exposed to quality hifi, the majority simply aren't interested. They might well love music and I think the majority of people do, but love of quality audio is a relatively uncommon thing.

We called them ghettoblasters though, only catalogs used the term boom box. Whenever I use that term these days, people who weren't around then look at me like I said something offensive.

They were GBs to us too. (ghetto blasters).

They were fun, loud and portable and cost us a fortune in 'D' size batteries.

And many of them in fact sounded pretty darn good.

I’m going to get a bumpboxx one of these days before they are gone one day. Pretty popular now and takes Bluetooth and has all inputs. I want the graffiti paint like this one.

38A9C090-CFA6-4593-AB5C-6AB7144A0C34.png

A boombox was the catalyst for me (re)entering the audio hobby. A friend at work was clearing out his garage and asked if a couple of old computers were any use to me. I went to his place to have a look and in the pile of stuff for trash was a cool looking Toshiba boombox. I claimed it from the trash pile and worked on it, to get it back to life

I then started to wonder what other older electronics might be going to the trash so I started stalking the dump shop, garage sales, thrift stores etc and the rest is history - it is quite a thrill to find things headed for the dump that, as a teenager; I could never have afforded..:)

Is an iPod boombox a boombox? I picked up a nice “Altec Lansing” iM7 from a GW. Very happy with the sound,
considering what it is. It even has a remote, something the originals never had.

That's wild! At first glance it looks like a home receiver sitting on a small set of speakers. Does it have external speaker connections? I would be surprised if it didn't. Very cool.
Yep,I can also hook up a turntable and cd player too.:rockon:

Back
Top Bottom