Someone Please talk me out of getting this -- Singxer SU-1 USB Bridge

I use one as my USB/SPDIF converter for my Kukama DAC. But I also use a PS Audio LANRover with it. The combination gives me the cleanest feed from a computer I have achieved so far. No complaints about sound quality, functionality, or set up. Was plug and play into the MAC Mini. Friend of mine bought the F1 version, which powered by inline USB voltage and was not pleased with it compared to an iFi converter. It's a bit expensive for the world of Ebay USB/SPDIF converters, but its worth it to me. From those in the know on Head Hifi, the Singxer is the preferred solution at this current time. Or at least it was when I bought it, things may have changed since then.

Regards
Mister Pig

SU-1 is the staple for all digital interfaces running the new xmos chipset, which is excellent. The internal PSU is quite good for the price and SQ is top notch

You can get away with using the f1 just be ready to invest in a teradak dc30w or similar, and it ends up being around same price.

Like pig I suggest a USB over Ethernet solution to get the most of of your digital chain

Last edited:
Frank the best source for cutting edge digital information is Head Fi . I steered the Pig in that direction as I do you .
The SU1 is a great product for its price

Thanks guys...

Been to Head Fi and Computer Audiophile , a lot to read and digest but without a doubt both places are overwhelmingly positive about the Singxer SU-1

Although the Power Supply *mods* can get out-of-hand IMO

I had an audio-gd DI-U8 that I really liked but often read about the new XMOS chip's performance. If it sounds better than the U8 it is good indeed!

I had an audio-gd DI-U8 that I really liked but often read about the new XMOS chip's performance. If it sounds better than the U8 it is good indeed!

You know that I'm an Audio-gd Fan however... discussions with them can be confusing.

I wanted an out of the box compatible USB Bridge to my PS Audio I2S port plus having the latest greatest :naughty: XMOS

So it goes...

You know that I'm an Audio-gd Fan however... discussions with them can be confusing.

I wanted an out of the box compatible USB Bridge to my PS Audio I2S port plus having the latest greatest :naughty: XMOS

So it goes...

Communication can be complicated but I've never had a problem with Kingwa in the long run. I was expecting him to offer something with the latest from XMOS but I have not seen anything yet. Considering he is usually one who blazes the trail this is surprising. I am very curious how you like it as I am also tempted because of how much I liked the U8.

Right now I am greatly enjoying my Modwright Elyse which has a fairly modest USB interface board (Optoma NuForce) but the quality of the sound out of the DAC as a whole is stunning. Absolutely stunning.

I did try the Elyse with the DI-U8 but the Elyse does not have an I2s interface so had to use the RCA (SPDIF). I could hear absolutly no difference which was surprising as that little box improved every DAC I had tried it on. Maybe it takes I2s to really perform?

Last edited:
Windows 10 (1703) Laptop USB 3

OK... Now what ? :eek:

I have two USB driver Options : SingXer v3.20 or v3.34

Which one and do I install it before connecting SU-1 ?

I'm almost positive I should install Firmware 2.22 (not 2.20) for PS Audio DAC

I can't say anything definitive about my Singxer F-1 (which is the same as SU-1 except for external power).

It has performed flawlessly since I hooked it up 2 months ago. IIRC, the driver downloaded automatically for Windows 10.

The F-1 is in front of a Music Hall 25.3 DAC. The DAC has a Mullard CV2493 buffer tube (as recommended by Stoutblock). :thumbsup:

My system is in a state of flux, though. I'm making too many changes. I hit 'stages' where I rub my hands together, thinking this is going to be good.

Last edited:
I'm running Singxer v3.34. V3.20 installed automatically when I plugged the unit in. Then it asked if I wanted to update. I did.

Works fine.

I'm going for an upgraded external power supply for my F-1. I'm going to feed 5vdc via the USB cable, because my Paul Pang card in the PC has the option of external power. It will send the dedicated power on down the USB.

I'm interested in anyone's impression if they put it in a 'stable' system.

I'm messing around with biamping and media player platforms.

Last edited:
A side note... Shenzhenaudio have been a little shitty with communications. I believe it is because I did not buy from them directly. They alluded to it in email

As mentioned above I bought the SU-1 via Amazon Prime. Amazon says on website "Sold by SHENZHENAUDIO and Fulfilled by Amazon"

Whatever :dunno:

Headfi has gone the way of marketing, hype and cable sound. Be careful. Every new product is hyped to the heavens and in 2 months people will be: "Meh, not that great"...

Took a little finagling but got it going with latest drivers & firmware and with a I2S handshake

As you can see below in my office system...

Circle #1 shows everything is playing well with a DSD256 file (DSD Light is on)

Circle #2 shows a good I2S handshake with DAC

However, Circle #3 is the DSD light that is showing off :dunno: I'm not sure if it should be on or off

Sounds great tho... Will run a day or two in my office then on to the main system

(click for larger image)

I2_S.png

Last edited:
4 hours in... I believe the music is more balanced from low to high now

At first the SU-1 seemed thin in the lower notes

I'll be the 1st to admit it could just be me breaking-in not the electronics

BTW--- the PS Audio DAC PCM indicator does not light up when playing PCM either. I doubled checked by bypassing the SU-1 going straight into DAC to see if the PCM/DSD lights would illuminate like normal... they do

Left unit on overnight... Been listening through it about 3 hrs today

Like most 'upgrades' inching up the HiFi ladder SQ improves minutely. Same here -- IMO

One example is vocal diction. Pronunciation of lyrics become clearer, better able to understand certain words of songs you know by heart and have heard 100s of time. One album for example is Rickie Lee Jones

Is it worth 400.00? Probably so depending on one's system

Back
Top Bottom