Someone Please talk me out of getting this -- Singxer SU-1 USB Bridge

My F-1 continues to blow me away. I just ordered an iPower super wall-wart unit for the PPAv2 card and the Singxer F-1.

I'll have to check into double-headed USB cables. The PPAv2 has two USB sockets. I bet one can be made Data only, the other power only.

I'm 21 pages into this read over on Head-Fi.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/xmos-xu208-usb-bridges-the-latest-gen-has-arrived.803111/page-21

most dual headed USB cables have a data side with the 5v vbus blocked and then the 5v side, this allows you to get USB data from your PC without having the 5v come from the PC. The 5v side of the cable is to be plugged into low noise power supply or battery.

If your ddc/dac uses the 5v side just as a handshake you can plug it into a 5v source then unplug it and since the vbus is blocked on the other leg of the cable you are decoupled from the PC 5v. If theres no handshake and the dac/ddc is self powered you can actually leave the 5v side unplugged and the cable just acts as a VBUS blocker

There's no advantage to designating the PCI USB card's sockets to be power/data if your goal is minimizing BUS noise

most dual headed USB cables have a data side with the 5v vbus blocked and then the 5v side, this allows you to get USB data from your PC without having the 5v come from the PC. The 5v side of the cable is to be plugged into low noise power supply or battery.

If your ddc/dac uses the 5v side just as a handshake you can plug it into a 5v source then unplug it and since the vbus is blocked on the other leg of the cable you are decoupled from the PC 5v. If theres no handshake and the dac/ddc is self powered you can actually leave the 5v side unplugged and the cable just acts as a VBUS blocker

There's no advantage to designating the PCI USB card's sockets to be power/data if your goal is minimizing BUS noise

You're not 'tracking' how the Paul Pang cards work. They don't draw power from the BUS. At the present time, my PPv2 is connected directly to a 5vdc output from the PC's power supply via a molex connector. I have a bracket with 5.5/2.5mm socket on it. The iPower will connect to this socket, and provide clean 5vdc to the Paul Pang, and it will also provide the clean 5vdc to each of the two USB ports on the Paul Pang card.

My current USB cable will be providing the 5vdc from the iPower to the F-1, once I have the iPower. At the present time, the 5vdc in the cable comes from the PC power supply. It does not come from the BUS.

I was thinking a dual headed cable might have an advantage, in that the 5vdc would not be in the same cable at all. It would be plug'n'play if I cut the data from one USB port, and the power from the other USB port.

Regarding the handshake; my DAC (MusicHall 25.3) has it's own power supply. Once I put the Singxer F-1 in the chain, the PC doesn't even know the DAC exists; it just handshakes with the F-1.

It just keeps sounding better. I haven't been keeping track of break in time, but I swear there's some truth to that matter.

right. BUS noise was incorrect terminology, I should have said ATX PSU noise

I have a PCIe usb card similar to the paul pang it's probably not as refined but I have had good experience using it powered off of a chinese 5v r core LPS into my gustard u12 interface.

The change from 5v molex from the noisey ATX PSU to a dedicated 5v LPS was significant

I also added an icron extreme usb 2.0 over cat5 to my chain. the TX gets a 15v wallwart I plan on upgrading to a similar r core style in 15v

This is the one recommedned by many at headfi. I have the 5v version for the PCIe card with a molex to DC 2.1mm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIFI-30VA-L...DX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&rmvSB=true

Just wondering... Anyone still using their SingXer ?

I had mine put away for 3+ years :eek: I know the SingXer is a bit controversial but...

Just recently got back into HPs sorta in a big way (for me at least)

JRiver/Win10 --> ifi iSilencer+ --> AQ Cinnamon USB --> Singxer SU-1 (i2s) --> (i2s) PS Audio Nuwave DSD DAC (XLR) --> (XLR) A90 --> HiFiMan Sundara

I'm really digging this set up

Listening to Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue

FWIW, I purchased a Peachtree Audio brand 192/24 USB to S/PDIF coax/TosLink converter (model X-1) over six yrs. ago to be able to feed my secondary source (Gateway laptop) duplicated WAV. ripped music to be readily S/PDIF coax source switched using a very HQ 4X1 S/PDIF coax remote control switching device so I could switch between the flash drive music fed OPPO Universal player`s S/PDIF coax output and the laptop`s now USB to S/PDIF coax output that then fed my DAC`s S/PDIF coax input whichever duplicated digital music source I chose to select on the fly, if desired.
The Peachtree A-1 USB to S/PDIF converter has remained powered up and running 24/7/365 since installation during the preceding six yrs. with zero issues whatsoever and sounds excellent to all ears that have been exposed to it (original recorded music source dependent, of course).

The Peachtree X-1 is sadly no longer manufactured.. But should be able to be located on the used market.
All I had to do to make the laptop and OPPO sound the same in SQ was to power the USB Hub that the A-1 received it`s power from and routed its USB signal through on the way to the X-1 converter was to power the X-1 via the USB Hub was feed the Hub with a very clean analog wall wart 5v PS and sever the connected laptops USB power feed to the Hub inside the Hub, which was easy to do modification, or one could look into purchasing a quality USB in line noise filter dongle that are readily available..

Just some direct experienced, type written, noise from me as a very happy and satisfied owner/user.

Good luck, with whatever route you end/ed up going, Frank Sol.

Back
Top Bottom